advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need fridge advice - getting a new one soon
Posted by: volcs0
Date: December 07, 2009 02:38PM
Our current refrigerator is way too small for our family of six. It is a side-by-side model, and it probably suited the previous single/no kids owner just fine.

Our last fridge in our old home was really big and nice. Freezer on top vs. bottom doesn't matter to us. Water/ice doesn't matter - in fact, there really is no convenient hookup, so it would be a waste of space / money for us to get one with that built in. Stainless would fit our kitchen, but it is by no means a requirement.

Any recommendations are appreciated.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need fridge advice - getting a new one soon
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 07, 2009 03:00PM
Look at Lowes, that is where we bought our last one.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: mrthuse
Date: December 07, 2009 03:08PM
Freezer on bottom saves stuff falling out onto yer toes.

If the side-by-side's well thought out, there's lots of room in 'em, but the $$$'s for that convenience (shelves slide out, able to configure to differing set-ups, etc.) Otherwise, I really wanted an industrial model (wouldn't fit w/o serious renovation).

I don't have a water dispenser, but the ice maker's a different story; didn't think I'd need one, but really glad it's there.
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: December 07, 2009 03:16PM
Stainless steel used to be notorious for attracting spots, smears and streaks, as well as being more challenging to clean.
Posted by: Winston
Date: December 07, 2009 03:30PM
Top freezer models have the most space and are a bit more efficient, but I have favored side-by-side because the doors are easier for kids to open. I like models with a strip for a handle which runs all the way the length of the door, but these are rare (mostly on more expensive models designed to take a panel).

When we shopped recently I liked Whirlpool and GE models best. Both make several brands, Whirlpool in particular must have about six or eight brands, including Admiral, Maytag, Amana, Jenn-Air and KitchenAid. There are three or so levels of GE, plus Hotpoint. The multiplicity of brands with essentially the same models can be confusing.

The Fridgidaires seemed less well made. Our repairman doesn't like LG because he claims it's hard to get parts, but I am a little skeptical about that.

We ended up getting a GE because we had a specific cavity it fit.

I'd watch for sales at places like Lowes and Home Depot, or the big appliance stores (don't know which are in your area). Do get an EnergyStar certified model.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: numbered
Date: December 07, 2009 03:34PM
Not sure where you live, but you might check to see whether there is a Sears Appliance Outlet in your neighborhood. They stock lots of excess inventory, and the refrigerators seem to be most common item. They also stock returns. (The store near us--Bay Area-- had 200 refers on the floor at very nice prices.) Lots of half price choices from all the brands, not just Kenmore. Delivery may be an issue as they expect you to haul. Worth checking out, but of course, YMMV.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: December 07, 2009 04:11PM
We bought an Amana freezer on the bottom, french doors on top. 25 cu ft. Seems like there should be a ton of room in there but we manage to fill it up.

We bought it with a water dispenser on the inside of the fridge. Our 7 year old can push the button and get her own glass of water. Ice dispenser down below.

The problem with getting water and ice in the door is it cuts down on storage room available on the inside of the door.

We really like our fridge. It runs quiet compared to our old fridge.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: aquilles10
Date: December 07, 2009 04:11PM
Also, avoid counter depth refrigerators since they're much more expensive than comparable sized refrigerators. And try and buy a refrigerator that is Energy Star rated. They are a lot more efficient than a non-Energy Star rated refrigerator.
Date: December 07, 2009 05:08PM
numbered
Not sure where you live

South side of Chicago.

We don't have a space to fit it in - any size should fit fine.
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: December 07, 2009 05:44PM
Your local utility may have a rebate for certain energy efficient units, as here in WA.
Posted by: Black
Date: December 07, 2009 06:02PM
I could probably use your old frige- PM me.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: December 07, 2009 07:01PM
Just purchased a new Whirlpool on Black Friday. It was installed last Friday. French door, freezer on bottom, ice/water in door. It's very nice. About 25 cu ft, replaced a 19 traditional setup. It was $1400 before taxes and delivery. We had been watching fridge prices for about a year and decided that was the best price/features point for us.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: December 07, 2009 07:37PM
4 kids ... get one with a revolving door

: -)

Posted by: kledo
Date: December 07, 2009 08:14PM
Beware of anything Maytag. We have had nothing but trouble with a Maytag side-by-side fridge and a Kitchenaid (owned by Maytag's parent company) dryer. Customer service after the sale, both when in and out of warranty has been the pits. I doubt that I will buy another appliance from the Whirlpool conglomerate again. My advice is look into Korean appliances -- Samsung seems to stand behind their products.

my 2 cents,
Kledo
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 07, 2009 08:48PM
aquilles10
Also, avoid counter depth refrigerators since they're much more expensive than comparable sized refrigerators. And try and buy a refrigerator that is Energy Star rated. They are a lot more efficient than a non-Energy Star rated refrigerator.

do they even sell non Energy start appliances these days? I haven't look carefully, but last time I browsed the aisles at Sears I think all appliances were Energy Start rated.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 07, 2009 08:50PM
My folks bought an LG recently-freezer on bottom with french doors up top. Since I don't live with it take my observations with a grain of salt.

Having 2 doors for the fridge portion means potentially less chance of remembering where stuff is. When I'm over there I usually have to open them both up to find anything. Except for milk. That's used frequently enough that it's right in the same door spot. But for all that stuff in or near the middle you'll be into both doors alot ---- so why not just get one big door? Maybe it has the potential to save energy.

The other thing is that it beeps if a door isn't fully closed. Great idea poorly implemented IMO. There's a delay of course so that it doesn't beep with normal door usage. But by the time it beeps you've moved on with your life and so don't realize why "something" is beeping, exasperated by the fact the tone is hard to discern where it's coming from.

None of which should be necessary anyway if the dang doors were easier to close. You have to push them closed. All the way.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: December 07, 2009 09:25PM
[www.us-appliance.com]

Try it . . . you'll like it.

Many "deals" happening right now.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 08, 2009 05:54AM
A second vote for Sears Outlets.

I bought a $1200 Kenmore for $800 because it had some minor dents on the side (which doesn't show in my kitchen).

They have delivery but it is costly. Check on renting a pickup from Enterprise or some place if you can't find one to borrow. Then compare the price with delivery.

Finally, an old, longtime repair man told me to always get the extended warranty on modern appliances. They cover the circuit boards which go out due to moisture. A single board can cost $500.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Date: December 08, 2009 10:26AM
OK. Thanks for all the advice. We'll start looking in earnest this weekend.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 08, 2009 10:47AM
deckeda
My folks bought an LG recently-freezer on bottom with french doors up top. Since I don't live with it take my observations with a grain of salt.

Having 2 doors for the fridge portion means potentially less chance of remembering where stuff is. When I'm over there I usually have to open them both up to find anything. Except for milk. That's used frequently enough that it's right in the same door spot. But for all that stuff in or near the middle you'll be into both doors alot ---- so why not just get one big door? Maybe it has the potential to save energy.

The other thing is that it beeps if a door isn't fully closed. Great idea poorly implemented IMO. There's a delay of course so that it doesn't beep with normal door usage. But by the time it beeps you've moved on with your life and so don't realize why "something" is beeping, exasperated by the fact the tone is hard to discern where it's coming from.

None of which should be necessary anyway if the dang doors were easier to close. You have to push them closed. All the way.

To add to that list - the beeper on this one only warns of the right door being open. The left door is not protected.

If you close the right door with just a bit too much zest the left door pops open.

---------
water on the door may lose storage space, but water inside requiring the door to be opened to get at it makes even less sense to me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 274
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020