advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iLife and iWork due for update soon?
Posted by: S.Taylor
Date: December 18, 2009 10:29PM
So I'm looking at a deal at megamacs for the Snow Leopard box set family pack, with 10.6 and iLife and iWork '09 for $155, and I'm wondering whether they're due for an upgrade anytime soon. Any rumors or educated guesses? Last time I bought iWork, there was an update maybe six weeks later, and I was out in the cold.
TIA
Scott

This remote controlled tree is a must for the person who wants to be on the cutting edge of Christmas technology.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iLife and iWork due for update soon?
Posted by: clay
Date: December 18, 2009 10:35PM
don't they usually come out with a new version in January/February? I'd hold off on purchasing unless there's a really good deal somewhere. On the other hand, purchasing software that's been out for almost a year means that they've probably worked out most of the major bugs. If you wait for a new version, you get a 1.0 release, a potentially buggier software package. Of course, you would get new functionality.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 18, 2009 11:05PM
I'm not a big fan of the 09 versions

Unless you need the specific features, might be best to find a cheaper 08 and wait for an update
Posted by: lazydays
Date: December 19, 2009 12:03AM
I'm not a big fan of iwork myself. I thought the presentation software was pretty decent but the word processor and spreadsheet were terrible. I would not pay for it unless you want the presentation software.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 19, 2009 02:43AM
Keynote is the best there is when it comes to presentations. I'm not sure why you think Pages and Numbers are "terrible." I like them both. Pages is competent and versatile and Numbers is an interesting and useful take on the spreadsheet paradigm. It's not a Ford F150 of a spreadsheet application like Excel but is more than capable enough for most uses.
Posted by: JEBB
Date: December 19, 2009 09:17AM
There is no third party substitute for iLife that I know of, but NeoOffice is a good substitute for M$ Office and, I presume, for iWork and it's free.
Posted by: DRR
Date: December 19, 2009 09:36AM
To the contrary - I don't think they're updating anytime soon. I recently read that they took "09" off the packaging for iLife 09 - not something they would go to the expense of doing if they were simply planning on introducing iLife '10 in January.
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 19, 2009 11:11AM
Last rumor I heard was a potential update about mid-year 2010, with iLife '11 being the next iteration. The removal of '09 from the labeling was cited as evidence. Just a rumor, though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 126
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020