The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Civilization III Complete - A brief note and word of caution
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 18, 2006 10:36AM
Civilization III Complete - A brief note and word of caution

Hi everyone,

As a fan of Civilization III I'd been wholeheatedly looking forward to the Macintosh release of the Complete version. It includes Civilization III, Civilization III Play The World and Civilization III Conquests. Although Civilization IV is going to be released shortly, I still wanted to have the last flavor of III for my machines. So, I grabbed it from Amazon.com so I could enjoy it while waiting for Civ IV.

The only significant game play differences between the previous Mac version of Civilization III and the newest flavor are the addition of the Play The World and Conquests components. Otherwise, game play appears to be identical. It remains my favorite turn-based strategy game. I've yet to find another that compares to it.

The program complained when I tried it on my G4/466, warning that it requires a 500 mhz machine or faster and that performance could suffer on a slower machine. No problems. It only suffered when I had a huge civ, late in the game. This is no different than with the previous release on the same machine. I had no problems whatsoever running it on my G5 tower.

With the release of Civilization III Complete, Aspyr has made some changes that have proven problematic. The first is the package is released on DVD. This in itself isn't an issue. My machine is DVD capable. It could prove to be a problem for people with older machines. Civilization III is one of the few truly fantastic games that stiill runs reasonably well on older Macs and not all of them have DVD capable optical drives.

The major issue I have is that the original Civilization III Complete DVD must be in an optical drive. In the previous release of Civilization III, one could create an image of the disc, mount it and play the game. No need for the original since the image was sufficient for the job. A backup copy of the CD worked well, too. No more. The package refuses to accept an image or a backup copy of the DVD. It only accepts the original DVD. Very annoying.

That aside, I still adore this game. It quickly eats gobs and gobs of time. It's definitely worth the money to have it in one's collection of strategy games. Shy away from it if you prefer real-time strategy games like Warcraft. Grab it ASAP if you're a fan of turn-based games. You'll not be disappointed.

Robert
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Civilization III Complete - A brief note and word of caution
Posted by: IronMac
Date: April 18, 2006 11:05AM
So, this has been what you were doing all this time!
Date: April 18, 2006 11:10AM
Iron,

LOL! I wish!

Robert
Posted by: lemmingboy
Date: April 18, 2006 12:19PM
I'm scared to death of Civ IV coming out.

When I discovered Civ I, I skipped two weeks of high school to play it and almost failed out.

When Civ II came out I quit the summer job I had at the time and if I wasn't living with my parents I would have been homeless.

When Civ III came out I almost failed out of college.

I don't think my life can take another Civ level hit. Must go cold turkey but I don't think I can resist the temptation.

-Shawn
Posted by: Donkey Hotay
Date: April 18, 2006 12:45PM
You'd better see if Aspyr wants some Quality Assurance team members eye rolling smiley

=DH
Donkey (Ye Olde Farte of ye Internette) Hotay is a Tilted Windmill® enterprise.
Posted by: spearmint
Date: April 18, 2006 02:39PM
Is Civ a strategy game? Can I play on my iBook dual USB? I honestly don't know but it sounds like fun.

Da Good Life
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: April 18, 2006 03:05PM
Robert,

Thanks for the review. I have been debating about getting this version or just waiting.
I'll probably get it...

I've been steadily improving my play by following some of the advice from here:

[www.civfanatics.com]

Steve
Date: April 18, 2006 03:24PM
Steve,

Lol! My pleasure. But, keep an eye out for a full scale review one of these days. This was just a quick impressions.

Robert
Posted by: roshi
Date: April 19, 2006 02:38AM
Civ III Complete is QUITE different from the two-year old, or more, Civ III program I was playing. This new release is slightly better.

But it is VERY obnoxious that they have made it so you can't play the game with a disk image. The disk spins and spins like a vacuum - this DVD is the only thing that makes the DVD player on my G5 tower whir up and make so much noise.
Date: April 19, 2006 06:21AM
Rosh,

The main differences stem from the addition Conquests, i.e. new wonders, governments, civs and scenarios.Otherwise, the game play is pretty much the same.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020