AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple's $30/month Cable TV Service ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 23, 2009 10:36AM
CNN blogs about this idea ?

"Posted by Philip Elmer-DeWitt
December 22, 2009 8:21 AM

This could be totally disruptive. Or it could be another "hobby" like Apple TV that never quite takes off.

In a front-page story published Tuesday, the Wall Street Journal reported that CBS (CBS) and Disney (DIS) are "considering participating" in Apple's (AAPL) plan to offer television subscriptions over the Internet."
- - -

My prediction ? Cable TV companies are also the largest Broadband providers. They will BLOCK it all !
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple's $30/month Cable TV Service ?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 23, 2009 10:45AM
Please let it be true. If cable companies were to simply offer a la carte selection of stations instead of requiring customers to purchase a bundle, I would be very happy.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: December 23, 2009 10:55AM
freeradical
Please let it be true. If cable companies were to simply offer a la carte selection of stations instead of requiring customers to purchase a bundle, I would be very happy.

Same here. I'm tired of not caring about 90% of the channels. I realize home shopping channels are big business, but I personally think it's ridiculous to pay to be marketed to.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: December 23, 2009 11:00AM
I see a tie in with the Tablet and iPhone in conjunction with the AppleTV.

We may finally get the AppleTV DVR we have always wished for.

The only problem I see cropping up is the with iTunes subscription TV is the specialty sports channels.

I think we will also be able to stream TV to the iPhone, and maybe view from our own AppleTV.

The DisplayPort input to the iMac may become more interesting.
Posted by: davester
Date: December 23, 2009 11:06AM
I'm about to nuke cable TV since they took out a ton of channels that I previously had been getting for my paltry $15/month. In order to get the three non-local channels back that I watch I'd have to pay about $100/month. No thanks. I'm currently perusing the various other options (Hulu, Netflix streaming, Plex, Playon, etc) for getting content onto the TV. I welcome any additional options that come our way. The cable TV business model is badly broken and the satellite companies aren't a whole lot better.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 23, 2009 11:24AM
I've been cut off from some of the "good" channels that I had been receiving and I'm rather pissed at that. But my city has an "exclusive" deal with one provider, so I'm stuck doing that. Also, be aware that many providers bundle service in a way that make having television about the same monthly price as having only i-net. Mine was $65 for only i-net vs. $69 for having tv and i-net or something like that. In fact, the numbers may have been reversed on that scheme.

I'd be curious how much they charge per channel; my guess is that it will not be any less expensive in the overall scheme, but more selective.
Date: December 23, 2009 11:28AM
davester
I'm about to nuke cable TV since they took out a ton of channels that I previously had been getting for my paltry $15/month. In order to get the three non-local channels back that I watch I'd have to pay about $100/month. No thanks. I'm currently perusing the various other options (Hulu, Netflix streaming, Plex, Playon, etc) for getting content onto the TV. I welcome any additional options that come our way. The cable TV business model is badly broken and the satellite companies aren't a whole lot better.

Exactly. The junk they push and at such a high price... I'm more surprised people pay for it.

I went years without cable TV. When I got it back, I noticed things changed a lot. For example, Discovery went from a channel that constantly had new programming, to one that only has a few shows and the repeats them all of the time. They split off much of it into the history channel, learning channel, home & garden... and it's not like there's really any additional programming, they just have way more reruns than ever before.

Posted by: space-time
Date: December 23, 2009 11:39AM
M A V I C
... and it's not like there's really any additional programming, they just have way more reruns than ever before.

and you pay a lot more.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 23, 2009 11:40AM
Ken Sp.
I think we will also be able to stream TV to the iPhone, and maybe view from our own AppleTV.

Not until all the cell companies lift the 5 GB data cap, or are you talking about WiFi?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Monster
Date: December 23, 2009 12:24PM
Ken Sp.
I see a tie in with the Tablet and iPhone in conjunction with the AppleTV.

We may finally get the AppleTV DVR we have always wished for.

The only problem I see cropping up is the with iTunes subscription TV is the specialty sports channels.

The DisplayPort input to the iMac may become more interesting.

thus the LALA purchase

The Taoist Zhuangzi said, "Good order results spontaneously when things are let alone".
The sociologist, and historian, Adam Ferguson described the phenomenon of spontaneous order in society as the "result of human action, but not the execution of any human design".
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: December 23, 2009 12:34PM
Sooner or later, sports events will be pay-on-demand. That's both a plus and a negative if you think about it.

Also, the data cap thing will indeed be a major hindrance for this business plan. Unfortunately, it might mean a return to per-call type charges (remember those old AT&T bills?) with your bandwidth at some point.

Something's gotta give. Something will, and sooner than we think.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Buck
Date: December 23, 2009 12:35PM
Will Comcast and others allow us to just buy their internet service and get TV and Phone elsewhere, using their cable, without any hiccups and interference?
Posted by: Kiva
Date: December 23, 2009 12:52PM
M A V I C
. They split off much of it into the history channel, learning channel, home & garden... and it's not like there's really any additional programming, they just have way more reruns than ever before..

exactly....if they can split it off and dilute the content, they have similar production costs and crap-load more advertising space and revenue.

i will never get cable/satellite. ok...*maybe* if they allow a-la-carte....but until then, no freaking way..

kiva

----------------------

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2009 12:54PM by Kiva.
Date: December 23, 2009 01:15PM
Kiva
M A V I C
. They split off much of it into the history channel, learning channel, home & garden... and it's not like there's really any additional programming, they just have way more reruns than ever before..

exactly....if they can split it off and dilute the content, they have similar production costs and crap-load more advertising space and revenue.

i will never get cable/satellite. ok...*maybe* if they allow a-la-carte....but until then, no freaking way..

kiva

I only have the basic cable because comcast charges an extra $10/mo for internet if you don't have TV. So I pay a net extra of $2-3/mo for basic - though they're slowly stripping stations away.

Posted by: Doc
Date: December 23, 2009 01:20PM
$30 bucks a month to be tethered to another box... that is not an attractive idea.

Paying for more television is repugnant to me.

I ditched cable tv.

I enjoy having just OTA tv and free streaming stuff from Hulu and similar services.

I've already got enough distracting entertainment from that.

Then there's my console-games and DVDs...

I can't keep up with what I've got.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 23, 2009 01:24PM
Doc

I ditched cable tv.

Did your ISP raise your internet rates when you did that?

Comcast will since they bundle services.
Date: December 23, 2009 01:34PM
freeradical
Doc

I ditched cable tv.

Did your ISP raise your internet rates when you did that?

Comcast will since they bundle services.

Yes, but in my area they no longer offer a discount on Internet service with the regular basic cable service -- bundles start with expanded basic -- so it would have been more than twice the price to keep cable tv with Internet service over Internet service alone. With the rapidly shrinking number of unscrambled cable channels, the value received from such a subscription was rapidly diminishing.

Basically, they arranged it so that it was not just economical to ditch the tv subscription, but also that anyone who wasn't addicted to pay-tv and who bothered to investigate would be compelled to cancel the service.

Nice business model.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: December 23, 2009 01:47PM
I'm so old, I can remember when cable tv was fun, exciting, and a good deal. old fogey smiley

I currently have expanded basic with my internet access. The only real reason I still have cable tv is that my Pop, (who is really old!) lives with me and is a Nascar fanatic. A lot of the races are on cable, or otherwise I'd drop it in a heartbeat.

There really isn't anything compelling enough to watch to justify the expense. Out of all the channels I get, there are only a few I occasionally watch.

A-la-cart...Bring it on!!

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: chopper
Date: December 23, 2009 02:14PM
The first cable bill that I saw, and granted it wasn't mine, was $7 and included HBO.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: December 23, 2009 02:32PM
When did Apple announce this?

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: December 23, 2009 02:38PM
I especially like when you get those flyers that tell you how lucky you are that your rates are going up b/c now you will be getting 4 new home shopping channels, 2 more golf channels and the all new reality tv channel.

Date: December 23, 2009 02:50PM
bazookaman
I especially like when you get those flyers that tell you how lucky you are that your rates are going up b/c now you will be getting 4 new home shopping channels, 2 more golf channels and the all new reality tv channel.

You forgot the part where it says that those new channels are only available to digital-premium subscribers, so your rates are going up in order to provide people who are happily paying $200/month for cable tv with more channels that they'll never watch while your basic cable channels are disappearing.
Date: December 23, 2009 04:07PM
Doc
bazookaman

You forgot the part where it says that those new channels are only available to digital-premium subscribers, so your rates are going up in order to provide people who are happily paying $200/month for cable tv with more channels that they'll never watch while your basic cable channels are disappearing.

And it's only that price for the first six months, then it goes up to a rate they wont tell you until after you sign up.

Posted by: AAA
Date: December 23, 2009 04:49PM
I have never had pay tv (aka cable or dish).
I do not one red cent of mine going to channels whose contents a garbage, immoral, overly violent, etc.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 23, 2009 05:13PM
This worked out well for Apple: [www.eworld.com]

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: December 23, 2009 05:23PM
Speedy
This worked out well for Apple: [www.eworld.com]

Ah, my first ISP.

Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: December 23, 2009 05:44PM
I just dumped my digital cable tv service from Cox. The service rep seemed flabbergasted that I would even consider doing such a thing. I then told her Cox's product was not a good value, and that I'd be getting my shows from Netflix and and Apple TV. I could almost smell the smoke coming from her ears.

I would also be very interested in a-la-cart channels.

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: December 23, 2009 07:15PM
It (Cable TV) was kind of like cocaine, I guess; they got us hooked cheap and, when they knew we could no longer *not* have it (per se), they just started raising the rates, steadily.

Getting ready to dump Comcast Digital Cable (and all Comcast Cable) from my house and go back to DirecTV. I'll be keeping Comcast for internet; that service has been pretty good and there's really no other option for me.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 24, 2009 03:00AM
I like not having to pay Comcast anymore. And with the leeching from the neighbor's internets, life is cool. Actually I just signed up for AT&T's DSL service. $35 dollars a month. Most of my shows can be watched on the station's websites. Others like "Mad Men" can be downloaded via torrents. I always wish they wouldn't remove the commercials. I'm willing to watch 'em.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 24, 2009 09:25AM
Not until all the cell companies lift the 5 GB data cap

That will happen. But it will come with tiered pricing for capacity as well as speed.

My first cable bill was $7 a month, with HBO. Fun to play with at first, and I had really bad OTA reception. HBO was only on a few hours a day. I dropped cable when it went up to $20 a month, and never subscribed after that.

I would also be very interested in a-la-cart channels.

Same here, but pricing would be a huge consideration. Discounts are given for bundles, and I'd hate to have a provider try and ream me for four or five channels.

Fortunately (for the time being?) digital OTA has improved my broadcast viewing tremendously.

I always wish they wouldn't remove the commercials.

If I could remove them later, that would be fine with me. In uploaders' efforts to save capacity and time, they also delete the end credits. I really like those and wish they'd leave them in as well.

It's somewhat moot though, since TV stations often clip them or speed them up for time for commercials.

<sigh> I wish there were still regulation on cable companies and commercials.

And don't get me started about volume levels...

One down, one to go.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: December 24, 2009 11:29AM
RAMd®d
And don't get me started about volume levels...

Yep. It's getting REALLY bad. Commercials are sometimes nearly 2x the volume of the show. Plus there's so many commercials anymore... it used to be there were four minutes of commercials per half hour. Then six, then eight and now 10 in many cases. I think they've passed a point where there's too many commercials, and customers are dissatisfied, find ways to not watch them or just ignore them. That devalues the worth of the commercials and thus the revenue.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 24, 2009 01:49PM
The original article linked to from the CNN blog is dated November 2. This is either a strange under-the-radar news scoop or another navel-gazing exercise.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020