advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
hey, big SPENDER...spend a little time with me!...Federal energy efficient appliance rebates program launches....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 30, 2009 02:56PM
...describes as 'cash for clunkers' for appliances....check your state for program details in your area....

Smart Spending: Federal appliance rebates launch

....Next year may be to appliance buyers what 2009 was to car buyers: time for government rebates.

Modeled after the popular Cash for Clunkers program, which was intended to get cars with low gas mileage off the road, a federal appliance rebate program is launching in early 2010. It offers a boost to people buying energy-efficient clothes washers, refrigerators and other appliances — those that qualify for the federal "Energy Star" designation — and to manufacturers, whose sales fell 10 percent in 2008 and another 12 percent through mid-December this year.

The program has only $300 million, one-tenth as much money as Cash for Clunkers, or about $1 per U.S resident, so it could run out fast. States are receiving roughly the same amount per capita, with California getting the most at $35.2 million, but what's eligible varies by state....

.....• WHEN WILL IT END? Rebates will be available until February 2012 or the money's gone. And Jen Stutsman, a spokeswoman for the Department of Energy, expects the funds to run out fast.....

SAVE.....for a rainy day......?

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2009 03:06PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: hey, big SPENDER...spend a little time with me!...Federal energy efficient appliance rebates program launches....
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: December 30, 2009 03:47PM
Dang the only thing we really need is a new dryer.

Grateful11
Re: hey, big SPENDER...spend a little time with me!...Federal energy efficient appliance rebates program launches....
Posted by: billb
Date: December 30, 2009 04:08PM
I knew that garage full of old washers, fridges and water heaters would be worth something some day.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: December 30, 2009 04:36PM
Wow! I wonder how long I might have to go without a washer in order to hold out for the rebate?! I do need a washer to replace that dead 10 year old one currently sitting in the utility room with water in the tub.

Now, somebody needs to go back through that article and do a bit of editing, because I copied the following from the article. Was the writer confused?

"'A good example is a 10-year-old clothes washer," he said. "With Energy Star, you could reduce utility costs by $145 a year and save 5,000 gallons of water a year."

At that rate, a typical $500 to $700 dishwasher would pay for itself in four years. In larger households that use more power and water for laundry, the payoff can come much sooner."

Or do more people do their laundry in the dishwasher than I realized? smiling smiley

Edit: Well, I don't think I'm willing to go without a washer until April 10, 2010, so I guess I'll not be getting any of the cash from this cow. That's pretty much how things have been going lately for me, so I'm not surprised.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2009 04:44PM by AlphaDog.
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 30, 2009 04:40PM
AlphaDog
Or do more people do their laundry in the dishwasher than I realized? smiling smiley

You currently seem to be in the very situation where one might try it, let us know how it goes. smiling smiley
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 30, 2009 04:56PM
"I knew that garage full of old washers, fridges and water heaters would be worth something some day."

I'm there with ya! :fawkdance:
Posted by: decocritter
Date: December 30, 2009 06:23PM
You could save xxx dollars in 4 years, if any of these new appliances actually lasted that long. My experience has not been good with major appliances. Especially dishwashers and washers.
Posted by: blooz
Date: December 30, 2009 07:27PM
Hey, my fridge is 20 years old.
thanks for the info.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 30, 2009 07:44PM
Looks like the dates these will be available vary by state, as does the appliances covered. According to the federal site, they start in March for MA. But the state site has not been updated yet, just says they have submitted a plan for approval. I also have an older fridge to replace, much older.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 30, 2009 08:19PM
I might consider replacing a 20-yr-old chest freezer.. Florida is offering a 20% rebate and I could get another 10% off at Lowes/HD as well.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 31, 2009 10:19AM
I'm in the market. not all that much $$, though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 76
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020