advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
any "real" difference between current airport extreme base station and the previous flying saucer model?
Posted by: robfilms
Date: January 01, 2010 04:21PM
any "real" difference between current airport extreme base station and the previous flying saucer airport extreme model?

i know they are both airport extreme. i know that the latest runs "n" network. any other features that compels me to upgrade from the flying saucer to the current (pizza box?)

any and all real world experiences discussing the two base stations would be greatly appreciated.

be well

rob

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2010 04:24PM by robfilms.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: any "real" difference between current airport extreme base station and the previous flying saucer model?
Posted by: carl
Date: January 01, 2010 04:31PM
I have used the previous model " Flying saucer", the current version AirPort Extreme and also have an Airport Express. All have worked well, I just got the Airport Express and really like the ability to play iTunes music through it to a set of speakers connected to it.

I get better coverage with both the AirPort Extreme and the AirPort Express than I did with the previous "Flying saucer "model.

Not sure what your needs are, but based on my experience for home use, 3 laptops and a printer, I would just buy the Airport Express.
Re: any "real" difference between current airport extreme base station and the previous flying saucer model?
Posted by: silvarios
Date: January 01, 2010 04:45PM
Dual band WiFi and guest mode are pretty compelling features.

Nathan
Posted by: H1N1
Date: January 01, 2010 06:57PM
FB763LL/A - Current refurb at Apple Store, dual band, dual antenna, SINGLE Transceiver. This item is still being sold as the current model, It Is Not the newest model! This one is:

MC340LL/A Has everything as above except has a DUAL TRANSCEIVER.
This is very important in a mixed mode enviroment like I have with 4 iPod Touches, iPhone, 3 g speed laptops, 2 n speed mini's.
The single transceiver immediately drops to g speed when I hit the airport with any g speed wireless.
The dual keeps both speeds going.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 01, 2010 07:35PM

The previous AEBS has dual-band transceivers but does not have simultaneous dual band transceivers, as does the current AEBS. The later isn't a big consideration unless you have n and non-n devices.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: H1N1
Date: January 01, 2010 08:45PM
RAMd®d

The previous AEBS has dual-band transceivers but does not have simultaneous dual band transceivers, as does the current AEBS. The later isn't a big consideration unless you have n and non-n devices.
Prior Model has a SINGLE TRANSCEIVER that transmits in either g or n but Not Both at the same time.
Single Xceiver, Dual Band.

Newest Model has TWO TRANSCEIVERS, that can transmit in both b and g at the same time.
Dual Xceiver, Dual Band
Very important, a single non-n device will cripple your wireless.
Posted by: eburgian
Date: January 02, 2010 03:53AM
The saucer model only has one LAN port. Newest one has three.
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: January 02, 2010 04:31PM
eburgian
The saucer model only has one LAN port. Newest one has three.

And all the new ones are running at gigabit speed.

Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020