advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPhoto's "Places" and Geotagging
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: January 06, 2010 09:24PM
Until I got my iPhone, I didn't realize how cool iPhoto's Places really was.

One thing, it seems that the two camera apps I bought don't attach any gps info to the photo, only the built in camera app does.

Kind of nice seeing on a map exactly where the picture was taken.

Bryan
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPhoto's "Places" and Geotagging
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: January 06, 2010 09:28PM
You can manually tag the photos/events within iPhoto.

You can also get the EyeFi Explore SD card that Geo Tags and uploads over WiFi
Posted by: flareslow
Date: January 07, 2010 08:11AM
Does anyone make a camera that receives GPS info via Bluetooth or WiFi or GPS unit with Bluetooth or WiFi transmits location?
Posted by: thermarest
Date: January 07, 2010 09:47AM
flareslow
Does anyone make a camera that receives GPS info via Bluetooth or WiFi or GPS unit with Bluetooth or WiFi transmits location?

There are cameras with GPS receivers that will put location data into the photo. I don't know the model numbers.

I'm not clear on exactly what your question is asking, though. GPS info doesn't need to be sent via Bluetooth or WiFi. It comes down from satellites continually and needs to be picked up and processed by a receiver. One can use a separate GPS receiver and link the info to a photo later in the computer with software that automatically compares the times.
Date: January 07, 2010 12:47PM
thermarest
I'm not clear on exactly what your question is asking, though. GPS info doesn't need to be sent via Bluetooth or WiFi. It comes down from satellites continually and needs to be picked up and processed by a receiver. One can use a separate GPS receiver and link the info to a photo later in the computer with software that automatically compares the times.

The camera would have no gps receiver, but a bluetooth or other type of receiver that would be paired with an external GPS receiver. The external receiver would constantly be transmitting its' position (from your pocket or someplace nearby) and the camera would record that data with the photo when the shutter is pressed.

The post processing you mentioned, is that via the track log? If so, what software will do this?
Posted by: thermarest
Date: January 07, 2010 06:17PM
Got it. Not that I know of.

In post processing, tracks are the easiest way to do it as it requires no manual input from you. You can also use waypoints; you just have to assign a waypoint to an image. Some programs will choose the nearest waypoint if no track log exist, some interpolate, etc.

Image Ingester will tag image files automatically upon import from a card using a track log. Its probably the slickest workflow-wise. Others are GPSPhotoLinker, HoudahGEO, GeoSetter (windows). There are others, I'm sure.
Date: January 07, 2010 09:12PM
Thanks, I'll take a look at those.
Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020