The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Oklahoma Earthquake
Posted by: kanesa
Date: January 15, 2010 01:42PM
Anyone feel this one?

[ksax.com]

JONES, OK - The USGS confirmed that a 4.0 magnitude Oklahoma earthquake rattled parts of the "Sooner State" just after 9 a.m. Friday morning.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Oklahoma Earthquake
Posted by: Ironhorse
Date: January 15, 2010 01:59PM
I just moved to Oklahoma to get away from the cold Northern Indiana weather, so far a blizzard Christmas weekend and now an earthquake.

Ironhorse
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: January 15, 2010 02:16PM
Ah, but will it be verified as a real earthquake? Or might it have been a mine collapsing? This reminded me of something I'd heard about from Utah a couple of years ago. Apparently what was initially thought to be an earthquake which triggered the collapse of a mine was actually the collapse of a mine that was perceived as an earthquake.

Are there any mines in Oklahoma that just collapsed?!

[www.physorg.com]
Posted by: billb
Date: January 15, 2010 02:23PM
USGS lists 4 for Jones, east of Oklahoma city since Monday. 2 today.
Posted by: Diana
Date: January 15, 2010 03:32PM
Felt both of them. I work on the 4th floor of a building in the medical complex east of downtown Oklahoma City. I thought I felt something before they happened, but it could have been construction on the new buildings around here. The 4.0 rocked the monitors on my desk, and definitely was a different feeling from the floor shaking from someone dropping a nitrogen cylinder next door! Others in the building apparently didn't feel a thing.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 15, 2010 04:01PM
Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweepin' down the... fault?

It is what it is.
Posted by: DP
Date: January 15, 2010 04:05PM
C'mon-the New Madrid Fault? You're practically sitting on it!
Posted by: Diana
Date: January 15, 2010 04:17PM
Yeah, we're supposedly overdue for a "big one" for the New Madrid fault, kind of like the record-breaking blizzard we had over Christmas (fun, that), the drought conditions we have been under for the last several years (10, or so I think), the wildfires we are subject to in the summer when it quits raining, becomes as dry as ... well, think California ... and some bozo throws a lit cigarette out the car window... Not to mention tornado season during both spring and fall, and subsequent flooding in some parts of the state due to the heavy rainfall.

Fun times. rolleyes smiley

And, as far as mines in Oklahoma, go to the far northeast corner of the state where Kansas, Oklahoma, and Missouri meet. This area was extensively mined for lead and zinc. When the ores played out in the 1960s, those underground mines were closed and the pumps that kept the mines dry were turned off. The mines subsequently flooded, and some have indeed collapsed. During heavy rainfall, the mine water washes out and kills any aquatic life it comes into contact with, damages land it flows over, and causes injury to livestock that comes into contact with it. It has been declared a Superfund site (google Tar Creek Superfund site in Oklahoma), although remediating it is probably impossible given the current state of technology.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2010 04:27PM by Diana.
Posted by: DP
Date: January 15, 2010 04:45PM
We felt a quake in Detroit back in '88 (I think) that originated from the New Madrid system. Supposedly the "big one" epicentered on the NM would make anything on the San Andreas seem like fun.
Posted by: kap
Date: January 15, 2010 07:03PM
DP
We felt a quake in Detroit back in '88 (I think) that originated from the New Madrid system. Supposedly the "big one" epicentered on the NM would make anything on the San Andreas seem like fun.

Um, and all this time I thought we would have it bad here in CA.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 15, 2010 07:16PM
Yeah, when the NM goes, it apparently goes on, and on, and on, and on, not just a "one and done." It is supposedly because the NM runs trough bedrock that just lets the shock waves keep on rolling. So when NM goes the next time, it ain't going to be pretty and it will wreak havoc for a long way away from the epicenter.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 15, 2010 07:41PM
for those that don't know about the New Madrid fault [en.wikipedia.org]

4 8.0+ quakes in less than 3 months. Rerouted the Mississippi River. Riverboats ended up hundreds of yards away from the river in people's fields.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 15, 2010 07:43PM
kap;

The San Andreas keeps moving... a few inches a year. Spots that get hung up, and then break, are earthquakes.

The New Madrid fault, on the other hand... it doesn't move EXCEPT for the quakes..

It's storing up a BIG one.

The New Madrid and the Cascadia Subduction Zone are the only places in North America capable of producing a 9.0+ quake. Well, except Alaska. But they already had their "once in a thousand years" quake in '64.

Maybe I watch too much Discovery Channel, but from where I sit (20 miles east of the triple plate junction between the North American, Pacific, and Juan de Fuca plates), California has it comparatively safe as far as truely massive quakes go.

The next "big one" in California will move the landscape by inches, or maybe feet. The next 9+ quake in Washington state, or along the New Madrid fault will cause movements of yards.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: January 15, 2010 07:46PM
Thanks Paul F. I feel safe already. Whew!
big grin smiley

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 15, 2010 07:59PM
No problem man...
6.5's I can handle... Don't like 'em much, but I can cope.

The idea of a 8+ scares the stuffin' out of me.
You're not gettin' me anywhere near a fault system that produces 9's!

OK.. technically, that Cascadia Subduction Zone comes down this far... But I have my own reality distortion field that fixes that.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: January 15, 2010 08:03PM
I felt a largest one thus far in Northridge while I was in Sta Barbara.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Drew
Date: January 15, 2010 09:53PM
I can't recommend enough an earthquake kit. I went through the Kobe (Japan) earthquake. A few personal lessons learned:

- Never let the gas gauge go to Empty in your car. The day before, I had a chance to fill up on the way home. The next day was a day off and I thought "I'll do it tomorrow". Now, I never let it go below a quarter tank. More gas in the tank would have given me a better option to get out of the worst damaged zone.

- Keep shoes/slippers by the bed. In Japan, we take off our shoes and store them in the entrance. I got up after the quake, which hit at 5:45AM, and promptly cut my foot on a piece of glass from a broken light fixture.

- Look at your bedroom layouts. Many people were killed by dressers falling on them as they slept. My then 4-year-old son barely missed having a heavy bookshelf fall on him in his bed.

- Keep a traditional telephone around that does not require electric power to run. The power went out, but the phone lines remained on, though sporadic. I was able to plug in an old "Trimline" style phone that operates without electricity and make calls.
Date: January 15, 2010 10:39PM
I would like to add to Drew recommendations: An emergency kit for your pet/s as well.

SoCal for now.
Date: January 15, 2010 11:38PM
true! extra food for the pets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We buy cat food by the big bag, and keep it in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. If there is an emergency, we have a waterproof bucket for their food. When we get down to about 1/2 a bucket left, we buy another big bag.
Date: January 15, 2010 11:48PM
Our dogs can chow down human grade food so in case of emergency they will survive without dog food. The same cannot be done with felines as they are true carnivores, no?

SoCal for now.
Date: January 16, 2010 12:13AM
well, they will eat cheese (but all cats are lactose intolerant. It gets MESSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Mine love chips and salsa, and some other stuff, but are calibrated for kibble. One of the 2 is one heck of a mouser, and his sister has snatched hummingbirds out of the air. They would probably be OK. Indoor only cats would be screwed without food.
Posted by: Doc
Date: January 16, 2010 12:13AM
kap
Our dogs can chow down human grade food so in case of emergency they will survive without dog food. The same cannot be done with felines as they are true carnivores, no?

Cats don't get certain enzymes in sufficient quantity from human-foods, but assuming that you're not feeding them something toxic they can usually go a several weeks or even months before the diet irreversibly damages their organs and kills 'em.

Give each adult a mouse-sized portion of beef, fish or chicken twice a day (diced to bite-sized chunks, not ground unless the cat is feeble) and they'll probably be okay for long enough to get the appropriate supplies after a disaster.
Date: January 16, 2010 12:57AM
yeah, taurine is one of them. from wikipedia

Taurine and cats

Taurine is an essential dietary requirement for feline health, since cats cannot synthesize the compound. The absence of taurine causes a cat's retina to slowly degenerate, causing eye problems and (eventually) irreversible blindness — a condition known as central retinal degeneration (CRD),[57][58] as well as hair loss and tooth decay. It was discovered in 1987 that taurine deficiency can also cause feline dilated cardiomyopathy.[59] Unlike CRD, the condition is reversible with supplementation. Taurine is now a requirement of the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) and any dry or wet food product labeled approved by the AAFCO should have a minimum of 0.1% taurine in dry food and 0.2% in wet food.[60]
Date: January 16, 2010 08:00AM
kap
I would like to add to Drew recommendations: An emergency kit for your pet/s as well.

Well, we had to eat the cat...
Date: January 16, 2010 08:01AM
It's a joke!
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 16, 2010 10:10AM
Drew
It's a joke!

Heh! I got it.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 16, 2010 10:27AM
- Keep a traditional telephone around that does not require electric power to run. The power went out, but the phone lines remained on, though sporadic. I was able to plug in an old "Trimline" style phone that operates without electricity and make calls.

Everybody with a land line should keep that in mind. One may have an emergency in a simple power outage (a vehicle taking out a nearby power pole, xfrmr explosion) and most modern phones (most/many being cordless) won't work with the power out.

In the past, a very few would charge a spare battery and run off that battery in the event of a power failure. I don't know if any phones systems have that feature these days.

Also, 9-1-1 calls from a cellphone can be problematic with no address info automatically available.

If one has a UPS, plugging the cordless into it could buy some time.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 16, 2010 11:06AM
Racer X
yeah, taurine is one of them. from wikipedia

Taurine and cats

Taurine is an essential dietary requirement for feline health, since cats cannot synthesize the compound. The absence of taurine causes a cat's retina to slowly degenerate, causing eye problems and (eventually) irreversible blindness — a condition known as central retinal degeneration (CRD),[57][58] as well as hair loss and tooth decay. It was discovered in 1987 that taurine deficiency can also cause feline dilated cardiomyopathy.[59] Unlike CRD, the condition is reversible with supplementation. Taurine is now a requirement of the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) and any dry or wet food product labeled approved by the AAFCO should have a minimum of 0.1% taurine in dry food and 0.2% in wet food.[60]

What part of a cat's natural diet would provide this?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 81
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020