advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Home Improvement: Backer Board vs Wonder Board
Posted by: kap
Date: April 20, 2006 11:04PM
We need to place tiles on the shower wall which, now, is vinyl.
Our contractor suggests backer board; our friends say wonder board. What do y'all think?

Kap

SoCal for now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Home Improvement: Backer Board vs Wonder Board
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: April 20, 2006 11:12PM
HardiBacker board is great--eaay to score and snap just like sheet rock.
Posted by: davester
Date: April 20, 2006 11:17PM
Whatever you do, don't use greenboard.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: April 20, 2006 11:41PM
They're both good. Whichever you use, just do it all properly. I'd strongly advise you visit the scarily, amazingly helpful forums over at [www.johnbridge.com] and read up about hardi vs. wonder and mastic vs. thinset. The tile pros there have strong opinions, and they're happy to share them, but be a little obsequious if you post a question.

You know the centaurs in Harry Potter? The tile pros at johnbridge are kinda like that.
Date: April 20, 2006 11:42PM
davester,

I am not sure what the purpose of Greenboard but our GC (general contractor) did mention about it. I think he will use that along with either Backerboard or Wonderboard.

Kap

SoCal for now.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: April 21, 2006 01:12AM
C'mon, some please admit that they also read the subject line as...

"Backer Board vs. Wonder Bread"

I thought it was gonna be a trick question. Or if nothing else one hell of a nasty tasting sandwich.
Posted by: Michael
Date: April 21, 2006 08:19AM
kap Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> davester,
>
> I am not sure what the purpose of Greenboard but
> our GC (general contractor) did mention about it.
> I think he will use that along with either
> Backerboard or Wonderboard.
>

Green board is water resistant (not waterproof). It had been used under tile in showers/tubs before the cementitious boards became available. Now, it is often used generally in the bathroom, except in tub/shower areas, since there is high humidity in the bathroom. You can put tile on it, or paint or wallpaper it.

I've seen some contractors put cementitious board in the shower/tub area just up to shoulder height and then green board above. I assume they do that because it's cheaper. If it was me, I'd put the cementitious board up to the ceiling in the shower and pay the extra $20.

I'd buy whichever of the cementitious backer boards was cheapest and then install it according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2006 08:20AM by Michael.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: April 21, 2006 11:12AM
I'm with Michael here...it's not as much the product (as long as you don't do green stuff).

It's totally about the installation. No short cuts. Follow the manufacturers directions exactly. Make sure every cut is perfect so there's no big gaps to fill.

And then there's the thinset vs mastic arguement...a question probably more important than the board itself.

Quality grouting...no shortcuts there either...take your time!

So many factors to worry about other than backer brands!

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: April 21, 2006 11:32AM
Thanks all for the advices. I will keep them in mind as I bring them up with our GC.

Kap

SoCal for now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 408
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020