advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Question for Ooma users...
Posted by: flareslow
Date: January 24, 2010 01:09PM
I'm trying to figure the best workaround.

I recently purchased an Ooma Telo with the intention of switching from a wired landline through AT&T to voip. AT&T also provides my DSL service and I was planning to switch to "naked" DSL. Our existing phone line serves not only our household but a small boarding stable operation and we want to port the number to our Ooma service.

The problem arose during activation of the Ooma service when I came across the following:
"If you have high-speed Internet through a DSL service, your DSL line cannot be associated with the number you want to port."
The quote describes my situation.

Can AT&T simply assign another number to my DSL service, or would that involve installing a second line? One option I have come up with is to request the second number for DSL but to only switch the existing line to it without installing a second wire. I would then temporarily forward (using AT&T call forwarding) all calls to a cell phone while awaiting activation. I am hoping someone else has plowed this ground before me.

TIA,
Mike
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Question for Ooma users...
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 24, 2010 01:36PM
I would call OOMA and ask them for advice

You could also ask ATT to install a second line. Then get naked DSL on THAT second line. Get OOMA running on the second Naked DSL line.

Cancel DSL on the first line, but keep the voice service active. Or just keep the first line unchnaged for about 3-4 weeks (both voice and DSL). This minimizes any chances of a screw up at ATT offices (it happened to me with Verizon).

Once OOMA is running on the second DSL line, initiate the porting of the first line voice number to OOMA. Once the porting is completed, I think ATT will automatically cancel the FIRST line, probably both Voice and DSL. You then can call them to confirm that both services have been cancelled on the first line, but keep the second line with naked DSL.

I hope it makes sense. Ask OOMA anyway and get their advice.
Posted by: marksomebodyelse
Date: January 24, 2010 02:20PM
Dry loop DSL is only available when no existing ATTphone number to the address is active. I think you would need to order a second phone number have your exiting dsl service attached to that number, then after it is active switch your phone number to OOMA. Once that has been done then you would have to cancel the new phone number and the dsl service. Then activate a new dry loop dsl service.
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 24, 2010 02:43PM
Maybe look into cable modem for the transition period, at least with Comcast it's entirely month-to-month, not long term commitments, and being a new customer you could probably get some discounted rate good for the first 6-12 months.
Date: January 24, 2010 03:29PM
marksomebodyelse
Dry loop DSL is only available when no existing ATTphone number to the address is active.
This is new to me also. It would mean I could not cancel the voice portion of my AT&T service without losing the DSL service. GDD's suggestion of cable may be the way to go for the transition period.

Does anyone know of any time restrictions between cancelling service and re-instating the DSL-only service?
Posted by: marksomebodyelse
Date: January 24, 2010 05:17PM
flareslow
marksomebodyelse
Dry loop DSL is only available when no existing ATTphone number to the address is active.
This is new to me also. It would mean I could not cancel the voice portion of my AT&T service without losing the DSL service. GDD's suggestion of cable may be the way to go for the transition period.

If you have ATT service then you need to cancel both. You also can not pay a dry loop DSL bill on line with ATT.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: January 24, 2010 06:57PM
flareslow
marksomebodyelse

Does anyone know of any time restrictions between cancelling service and re-instating the DSL-only service?

I am doing the same thing. I currently have DSL, and I will be dropping that first, getting cable (all while porting my phone number), and then once Ooma has my number and it is active, I am dropping ATT completely.

Date: January 24, 2010 08:20PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, looks like I'll be calling Charter Cable shortly.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 24, 2010 08:26PM
o yeah, if you can get cable, then go that route.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020