advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
home renovation DIY peeps, need some advice
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 25, 2010 10:40AM
I have window that sits above and below a countertop in my kitchen. Mostly above, thankfully. When the previous owners (many years ago) renovated the kitchen, they must have deemed changing the window too bothersome, so they put the countertop right up to it and left about 7" below the counter height. Really dumb and it makes the window nearly impossible to use (and clean). Also, quite aggravating for me to figure a solution.

To preserve the window scale in the rest of the house I do not want to simply replace the existing window with a smaller window, that would look worse than existing conditions. Any ideas on a creative solution? The only thing that comes to mind is to install one of the greenhouse type windows in its place, put some plants that will rest slightly below the countertop height and if they're tall enough it will hide the historic mistake.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: home renovation DIY peeps, need some advice
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 25, 2010 10:49AM
photos would be helpful in visualizing how stupid this is.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 25, 2010 11:04AM
what about a half-circle-topped window as an 'accent' ? Small slider window on the bottom, and a larger fixed window on the top to let in the sunlight. That way it will look 'unique' on the outside without jumping out at you.

Or not.
Posted by: billb
Date: January 25, 2010 11:36AM
I saw an 'install' like that on one of those cooking shows. Figured they must have set up a 'kitchen' in the dining or living room for room for the cameras.
My first thought was -'that must be a b!tch to keep clean'. :-)

A shorter window the same width might not look so bad.
Or some creative raised panel wood-working fill-in below a short window.

Bathrooms usually have shorter windows along with kitchens. How 'out of perspective' would it really be ?
Posted by: Kiva
Date: January 25, 2010 11:51AM
photos

----------------------
Posted by: John B.
Date: January 25, 2010 12:19PM
I think This Old House has run into this a couple of times, and depending on whether they are spending $1.25 Million on a kitchen renovation or $1.75 Million, one of the options was to put a small planter-type box at the level of the the bottom of the windowframe, and then recess the countertop back around that box, so essentially you have a small planter that comes up between the window and the countertop. The more expensive solution, as noted, was a new countertop-level window, which usually involves residing at least that side of the house, possibly putting in other new windows to match, etc.
Posted by: Carm
Date: January 25, 2010 12:22PM
mattkime
photos would be helpful in visualizing how stupid this is.

agree smiley
Posted by: S.Taylor
Date: January 25, 2010 05:00PM
We're facing the dilemma in our house--the bottoms of both kitchen windows are lower than counter level, and since the exterior is 135 year old brick the solution isn't obvious. We've considered the planter box idea, which isn't bad, but we're now thinking of just putting a lower counter surface there, maybe like a desk or something.

I await your solution with bated breath, since I have maybe a year before we have to decide.

This remote controlled tree is a must for the person who wants to be on the cutting edge of Christmas technology.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 25, 2010 05:36PM
How about you drop the floor down a foot or so?
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 26, 2010 05:41PM
What's the problem with just removing the large window, installing a shorter window and, matching the siding as well as possible? Worked fine at my place (although doing it during a kitchen remodeling was the best time to do it). Mine was an old double hung window. Anderson had the perfect shorter window I needed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 123
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020