advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Are there any good keyboards out there? Good by my standards?
Posted by: microchip13
Date: April 22, 2006 10:51PM
I'm using the Apple one right now, but have looked into getting a new one.

I like the Apple one because it's simple, has a good feel, has no extra keys(The volume and eject ones are the only ones I care about.

The Logitech ones are nice, but they seem to be overpriced, and they have a bunch of CRAP on them. I don't want to know my C key can be used as copy, or the v as paste. I don't want a stupid internet key, or a multimedia key. I want a good keyboard, not too overpriced, no stupid keys.

Any suggestions?

Just because it has two clutches, shifts faster, uses a torque converter or has near-infinite gear ratios, requires less driver intervention and is more efficient doesn't make it better in my opinion.
Save The Manual Transmission
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Are there any good keyboards out there? Good by my standards?
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 22, 2006 11:11PM
the best one i have found close to the apple one is the MS ones -- but they have all the crap...
Posted by: Forrest
Date: April 23, 2006 12:18AM
I think Apple keyboards are well built and mine even survived a soda spill (after a thorough disassembly and cleaning). If you want wireless, Apple's bluetooth wireless keyboard is just as reliable and easy on the batteries.
Posted by: lemmingboy
Date: April 23, 2006 12:46AM
I've been really happy with my Logitech Wireless Keyboard and mouse.

Yeah there's no eject key -- but I just put an Eject icon in the menu and don't worry about it.

For the price can't be beat . . .

-Shawn
Posted by: Bixby
Date: April 23, 2006 08:26AM
I've been very happy with my macally ikey - it's similar in feel and design to the old school (think beige) apple keyboards. But it doesn't have eject or volume. I would think some sort of keyboard mapping program would take care of that, though.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 23, 2006 09:01AM
Keyboard reviews and responses:

[www.atpm.com]

[www.atpm.com]

[www.atpm.com]

Grateful11
Posted by: maurycy
Date: April 23, 2006 10:08AM
I have the MS natural 2000 (curved) keyboard at work and I like it better than the Logitech one I have at home. Of course there are buttons at the top for controlling optical drive (play, pause, etc) but they do not bother me that much. The nice thing about the keyboard is, that it has somewhat laptop keyboard feel to it. The buttons are not that tall and the click action is more like laptop than regular keyboard. I think that this is easier on my fingers than the Logitech keyboard. Plus the keyboard was $24.99 at Crap USA. It is corded keyboard.

Alex
Posted by: karsen
Date: April 23, 2006 10:08AM
I have an Ice Key by Macally. It has low throw keys and feels great. Also has non of that extra crap. I love it.

[www.macally.com]
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: April 23, 2006 10:13AM
I do love the Apple keyboard. And at $29.95, it's one of Apple's better deals. Cheap enough so that if my keyboard starts giving me any grief, I just replace it.

Mac mini (M1 2020, 16G 2T) Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: fmgtech
Date: April 23, 2006 10:23PM
You might check out the Kensington SlimType Keyboard for Mac. It has that Macish look.
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: April 24, 2006 02:13AM
Bixby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been very happy with my macally ikey - it's
> similar in feel and design to the old school
> (think beige) apple keyboards. But it doesn't have
> eject or volume. I would think some sort of
> keyboard mapping program would take care of that,
> though.

The iMediaKey includes the extra buttons, which are small and unobtrusive. I didn't think I'd use them much, but they're great for iTunes/volume and Eject. I don't really use the app launcher buttons. Plus, the power button is great if you have a machine that supports it. Its elimination is one of Apple's lamest decisions.

It's much harder to track down at retail, though, and may be discontinued. I got mine from Amazon.

The iceKey and SlimType are nice if low-travel notebook keyboards are to your liking. There's another one out there, but I forgot the brand name.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2006 02:14AM by Bimwad.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 24, 2006 09:09AM
Micro,

The Matias Tactile Pro. It is by far the best USB keyboard on the market today. Definitely worth every penny, IMO. Search the old forum for a detailed review as well as my looks at the Kensington Studioboard Mechanical and the Matias OS X Keyboard.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020