Re: What’s a good boy’s name
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 23, 2006 02:20PM
Ruprecht?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: Webster J. Duck
Date: April 23, 2006 02:50PM
A lot to ponder. After some sleep we are tentatively settled on Riley David. I pushed for “Monster”, but to no avail. I actually liked Christopher David and Connor, but these were no goes. We already have a Michael and a Griffin. Cameron is a good one, but it’s our first son's middle name.

Thanks for the links
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: April 23, 2006 03:39PM
Nobody beat Calvin Edwin Ripken Jr. into a pulp in middle school.
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: April 23, 2006 03:52PM
Mac Book Pro. When he has kids, he can call them "the Minis". His autobiography? "i Mac"

Posted by: Pam
Date: April 23, 2006 05:08PM
Riley is often used as a girl's name these days. Sure you want to do that? I personally know a little girl named Riley.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 23, 2006 05:41PM
But the little kid will grow up living the life of Riley. Is that so bad?
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: April 23, 2006 08:40PM
I think if I were to wake up with amnesia & have to choose a name for myself from a list, I'd pick David. It's always been my favorite name & it bothers me greatly when someone shortens it to Dave.

Talk her out of Gavin. I forsee doom with that one.

Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 23, 2006 09:05PM
Webster, you might have a look at that link I gave earlier-- it sounds like you (or the wife) is aiming for an Irish, Gaelic, Welsh, or English name. If you do a search for boys names with "Irish" as a suboption (for example), it pulls up some other possibilities. I tried this myself for kicks, and the one I saw that I liked is "Sean" (or Shawn, or however you want to spell it)... also goes well with David as a middle name. Sean David-- I like it.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: 3d
Date: April 23, 2006 09:30PM
Wang
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 24, 2006 04:22AM
DaviDC. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think if I were to wake up with amnesia &
> have to choose a name for myself from a list, I'd
> pick David. It's always been my favorite name
> & it bothers me greatly when someone shortens
> it to Dave.

>
> Talk her out of Gavin. I forsee doom with that
> one.
>
How about when its stretched to something like Davester.

Posted by: the_poochies
Date: April 24, 2006 07:59AM
On an old episode of The Simpsons, Bart visits the local store dreaming of owning the new "Bonestorm" video game.

Some bratty, ponytailed kid yells at his mother to buy him the Bonestorm game, and the dimwitted mommy complies. Bart calls that snotty punk "the luckiest kid in the world." His name is GAVIN.

And as for Riley, I believe it is also a girl's name; and a very trendy one at that.

Just avoid these names [wesclark.com]
Posted by: DharmaDog
Date: April 24, 2006 08:21AM
Lots of endorsement for biblical names.

Yawn. Can't think of anything less original. If everyone was jumping off a bridge....I guess we know the answer to that one.

My wife and I are going through the same thing, but we have a few months to go still.
Posted by: jesse
Date: April 24, 2006 09:22AM
FWIW my daughter has a friend named Riley (female).

jesse
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 24, 2006 09:33AM
Hi everyone,

I wriite short fiction and humorous narrative as a hobby. As a writer, choosing a the right name for a character is imperative. It can have a dramatic impact on how you view him or her and has to look right, sound right and feel right. If it's this important for a character, then imagine how vital it is when naming a child!

For example.... I'd never name a boy Egbert, Percy, Clarence, Roswald, Myron or Mortimer. I know reading them brought images to your mind. Imagine what it'd be like for the boy as he grows up. Would you be surprised at all if he's tormented by his peers and/or has the snot beat out of him? Anyone who feels otherwise is fooling him/herself.

Assuming you choose a first name, you'll have to ensure it matches his middle and last names. Imagine you want to name the boy Russ. Not Russell. Just Russ. Imagine your last name is Herk. Russ Herk doesn't work. It has a funny ring to it and is a tad difficult to pronounce, IMO. Russell Herk has a better ring to it. The boy can still be called Russ for short but at least his full first name iis a decent match for his lasst name. And, he's not likely to get teased because of his name. You get the idea. BTW, I'm neither for nor against the name Russ or Russell - I was just using them as an example.

So, please do your child a favor and choose a name that isn't going to get him tormented on the playground. That and make sure it works with your last name and can grow with the boy. One of the last things you want to hear your child say to you is, "Why did you name me _______! Everyone teases me! I hate it! I hate you for naming me it!"

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2006 09:33AM by Robert M.
Date: April 24, 2006 09:44AM
Dharma, yes, Biblical names are good because as I've said, they've stood the test of time. But more generally what I was saying was to try to default to something traditional (in whatever culture you like-- be it Irish, Spanish, French, Swahili, whatever), because it's harder to go wrong that way.

As Robert M points out, a lot of it is perception.

Egbert! <snicker>

The problem with being "original" is that the child then has to live with, and up to, that name. I myself happen to love some of the unusual names (especially the ones of Greek origin), but I'd think carefully about giving one of them to a child. For example, I have a whole ton of beautiful, unusual names I'd love to give a girl (if I ever have one), but I think I'll be saving them for a middle name, where it's less likely to embarrass the heck out of her...

Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 24, 2006 10:36AM
I think Gavin, Tate, Christopher and David are all equally nice names.

My mother named my sister after herself, because she had never met another woman with that first name. Well, that name somehow ended up being one of the more popular ones of that time. My sister has actually met two different women with the same first AND last name as hers. My point is, why worry if a name is trendy, if you think it is a nice name?

A "traditional" name is just a trendy name whose trend never waned.

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: April 24, 2006 11:26AM
Pubert, Pugsley, Wednesday, Morticia, Gomez, Fester.
Date: April 24, 2006 01:17PM
$tevie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think Gavin, Tate, Christopher and David are all
> equally nice names.

I agree that these are all nice names, I just personally don't care for either Gavin or Tate. I knew a Gavin in college who was a bit strange (not clear if it was because of, or in spite of, the name!); and I think I'm influenced by that.

> My mother named my sister after herself, because
> she had never met another woman with that first
> name. Well, that name somehow ended up being one
> of the more popular ones of that time. My sister
> has actually met two different women with the same
> first AND last name as hers. My point is, why
> worry if a name is trendy, if you think it is a
> nice name?

It's not so much about it being "trendy" or not, it's thinking about the effect of a name on the child. For example, like it or not, giving a boy an unusual or gender-ambiguous name, is liable to really cause him trouble in future.

> A "traditional" name is just a trendy name whose
> trend never waned.

True, but the problem is that it's never possible to know in advance whether a "trendy" name will 'take' in the long haul. Therefore it is safer to stick with one which has been around for awhile. Sure, you can do something more experimentative-- for example, I knew a woman whose first name was Murphy-- but you can imagine the difficulty this caused her growing up and in later life.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 24, 2006 04:33PM
You might want to avoid Sunshine or Moonbeam or Dweezil.
Posted by: sscutchen
Date: April 24, 2006 08:46PM
My wife works with newborns insurance... Most popular names she sees are:

Hayden and
Jayden... spelled a ton of ways.

I like to try to stay away from gender identification issues... So for a boy and girl I like Butch and Fanny.

heh.

Tate will definitely become TaterTot. Then just Tot.

Don't ask who the bell's for, dude. It's you.
Posted by: Monster
Date: April 24, 2006 10:52PM
harumph, no Monster indeed...

how about my daughters name, it works well for either a girl or a boy, and it is...

"Devlin" middle name "Sky"

very few people seem to have that name as a first name.

Now my sons first and middle names are

"Max August Fusion"

Now about my daughters name, my wife and I both came up with the name Devlin separately, shortly after we met, as a name we would like for our first born.
At first she thought I had snuck into her office building and went through her trash and found the paper that she had been doodling names on (I have that effect on women, remember this is right after we met), I on the other hand have always liked that name, or ever since I can recall it's been one of my favorites, it had nothing to do with the Bill Cosby movie, "The Devil and Max Devlin", honest....

Now my sons name, well I originally wanted to name him Kiawah, but she would have none of it, we thought about naming him Mac, or Macs, but instead went with Max, my wife liked August for a middle name, I didn't have much thought on August, it was okay, but I was a little peeved at not being able to use Kiawah.
So after my son was born, in a midwife clinic, cord around his neck-intubated by the paramedics & neonatal doctor that arrived with them, I accompanied my son on his first ride (in an ambulance, with a couple of police cars blocking all of the intersections on the way to the hospital), and spent a long and fretful night without much information, I passed out in the waiting room (it was a long day) for an hour or so until they told me I could finally go and see my son.
Well when I walked into the NICU and saw my son I couldn't help but cry, laid out there on the table with a heat lamp over him like a chicken in the supermarket, tubes and monitors stuck here and there. So there I stood, gently touching him and softly talking to him, not knowing what to think, no way to contact my wife (although one of the midwifes had been at the hospital taking care of that bit, turns out she lives in the town I live in now), and feeling a bit lost, kinda like battle fatigue, when I noticed that a machine he was hooked up to had the name MedFusion on it, and BOOM!, it just hit me - that's his middle name, it ties everything together. My daughters middle name Sky, what's up in the sky? A big ball of fusion...

I filled out the birth certificate before I got a ride back to the midwifes clinic to be with my wife, I could have chosen Kiawah as his other middle name, but Fusion was it, sometimes you just know what's right, and so far my wife hasn't divorced me because of my choice, she just keeps saying I can stay another week.

The Taoist Zhuangzi said, "Good order results spontaneously when things are let alone".
The sociologist, and historian, Adam Ferguson described the phenomenon of spontaneous order in society as the "result of human action, but not the execution of any human design".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2006 11:58PM by Monster.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020