advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: Boo... What's up with the "bring you up to date" episode's of TV shows...
Posted by: spacescape
Date: April 23, 2006 08:00PM
My wife and I aren't TV junkies... However, we have about 4-5 TV shows we watch every week... Simpson's, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, Medium & House. It seems as if lately, our shows will not be on for a week or two due to them promoting a new show then when they return, we'll get 1-2 NEW episodes... Followed by a rerun or an episode that brings you up to date what is happening...

Just a little annoying...

Bill
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: Boo... What's up with the "bring you up to date" episode's of TV shows...
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: April 23, 2006 08:04PM
Basketball, or some other sport or special.

BGnR
Re: OT: Boo... What's up with the "bring you up to date" episode's of TV shows...
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: April 23, 2006 08:43PM
They've got to play to the lowest common denominator & there are lot of stupid people out there.

Posted by: iaJim
Date: April 23, 2006 09:59PM
I was thinking the same thing, but then I realized that TV has been doing this for years. Remember the sitcoms of old when the family would sit around and remember the past antics of the family that had happened that season? Same song, new verse. It's cheaper than a new show and has more appeal than a straight rerun.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: April 23, 2006 11:11PM
It works my last nerve.
Date: April 23, 2006 11:28PM
iaJim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was thinking the same thing, but then I realized
> that TV has been doing this for years. Remember
> the sitcoms of old when the family would sit
> around and remember the past antics of the family
> that had happened that season? Same song, new
> verse. It's cheaper than a new show and has more
> appeal than a straight rerun.

I think your a bit confused, Jim, SpaceScape wasn't talking about flashback shows.
Please re-read his post.

BGnR
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: April 24, 2006 01:02AM
Technically, Jim is correct. TV has a long history of taking old episodes and repackaging them as "clip" shows. The "bring you up-to-date" angle is just a new twist on it.
Date: April 24, 2006 04:14AM
Mike Sellers Wrote:
> Technically, Jim is correct. TV has a long history
> of taking old episodes and repackaging them as
> "clip" shows. The "bring you up-to-date" angle is
> just a new twist on it.
>
>

NOT A Clip Show.

BGnR
Date: April 24, 2006 07:15AM
You can argue semantics all you want but both involve taking old footage and creating new episodes.
Posted by: spearmint
Date: April 24, 2006 07:52AM
"Lost" and "Housewifes." chew up so much time with this stuff I have lost interest because of that and the hanging threads. "24" still has me hooked though. Jack Bauer saves America! Also Chloe.

Da Good Life
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: April 24, 2006 09:25AM
spearmint Wrote:
> "Lost" and "Housewifes." chew up so much time with
> this stuff I have lost interest because of that
> and the hanging threads. "24" still has me hooked
> though. Jack Bauer saves America! Also Chloe.

My beef with "24" are the "previews" of the upcoming episode. I call them spoilers. They seem to give everything away. The episode will have a cliff-hanger ending, but the "preview" will show you the outcome. What's the point?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 24, 2006 09:48AM
Actually, the Lost coming up this week is a "bring you up to date" clip show, which I'll actually be grateful for, because otherwise there are so many plot threads going, it's impossible to keep track of them all. But that's kind of unusual... for many of the other shows, the "bring you up to date" is just unnecessary filler.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: April 24, 2006 11:17AM
Mike Sellers Wrote:
> You can argue semantics all you want but both
> involve taking old footage and creating new
> episodes.

My Gawd! LOL! I guess some folks have difficulty with the basics! (-:
Spacescape writes.:
" our shows will not be on for a week or two due to them promoting a new show then when they return, we'll get 1-2 NEW episodes... Followed by a rerun or an episode that brings you up to date what is happening..."

NOT a clip show.

BGnR
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 24, 2006 11:38AM
I guess I have never seen a "bring you up to date" show. What is a "bring you up to date" show?

Date: April 24, 2006 12:46PM
Topic name: "What's up with the "bring you up to date" episode's of TV shows"

BGnR, what part of that don't you understand?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 24, 2006 12:51PM
$tevie, essentially it's a sort of a clip show that shows you a montage of most or all the events which have taken place so far.

In the case of "Lost", I actually kind of like it, because it reminds you of things that you might have forgotten about. Also, it points out things that you might have missed, which might be more important than you thought they were, when they were originally shown. (In the case of Lost, you might actually have to rewatch several of the old episodes to really get the same effect.)

However, I saw that last night's Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy were both "bring you up to date" shows, which is now bordering on ridiculous... in the case of "Lost", it actually makes sense to do it-- because the show is fairly complicated; with many different characters, events, subplots, plot devices, ongoing plot arcs, etc. But for either of these other shows, it's really just insulting to the viewer, IMHO.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2006 12:53PM by PeterB.
Posted by: rz
Date: April 24, 2006 01:04PM
It's called "Sweeps month is next month... how do we bring back people who haven't been watching the show so that they feel up to date and will watch during May and drive up our advertising rates..."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020