advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Questions on bicycle parts
Posted by: kap
Date: February 24, 2010 11:40AM
Just got a 2009 Fuji 2 Absolute for my regular commuting. Asked a mechanic/bike geek/shop owner to replace the stock Fuji stem. He put a Satori on the bike. Is anyone here familiar with this brand and its quality? For that type of bike is it even worthy to upgrade the stem? Also, is there a friendly helpful forum for non-profession bike riders to ask questions? Tia

SoCal for now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Questions on bicycle parts
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 24, 2010 12:07PM
looks like a good bike

bikeforums.net - i've asked a ton of questions there

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: February 24, 2010 12:22PM
kap
Just got a 2009 Fuji 2 Absolute...He put a Satori on

The Satori?

"I can tell you with no ego, this is my finest stem. If on your journey, you should encounter God, you will steer around Him."
Posted by: D & C @ Work
Date: February 24, 2010 12:40PM
[forums.roadbikereview.com]

[www.roadbikereview.com]

I almost bought this same bicycle but opted for a Felt Speed 22 hybrid.

Have fun,
D & C @ Work
Posted by: kj
Date: February 24, 2010 01:04PM
I've never seen it, but it looks quite funky. kj.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 24, 2010 01:08PM
Wow, I didnt know that Felt got into mainstream bikes -- a $500 Felt?

makes my old Bridgestone CB-Ø (Zip) seem long in the tooth now (not a picture of mine, but it looks identical)

Whats with the transition from the long stem to the short? back in the 90s longer stems were the only way to go. now everything has those silly looking short stems... looks really uncomfy

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: February 24, 2010 01:23PM
Steering is more responsive with a shorter stem, or so they say (I think?). kj.
Posted by: davester
Date: February 24, 2010 01:43PM
Is there really stem length "fashion"? That's hard to believe. I've always understood that stem length and height is based on rider size, top tube length, and riding type (racing, touring, around-town). Stem length should be the very last thing to adjust, after getting every other part of the bike set up to suit your body dimensions.

Also, regarding your original question, you didn't explain why you feel the need to replace the Fuji stem.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2010 01:48PM by davester.
Posted by: D & C @ Work
Date: February 24, 2010 01:44PM
"Wow, I didn't know that Felt got into mainstream bikes -- a $500 Felt?"

My Felt:

[www.bikepedia.com]

Wasn't cheap, this is not a $500 bicycle, twice as much. Carbon fiber fork and seat post, Shimano 105 components, a little heavy at just over 20 lbs however.

I'm thinking about buying a roadie as a spare and for others to ride, looking at a Giant OCR3 this weekend. I also have a somewhat cheesy Avalanche GT 3.0 MTB that I started riding on that I want to convert back to a dirt trial bicycle. Heavy bike but very comfortable.

D & C @ Work

Second Edit: I added these bars to replace the stock grips:

[www.ergon-bike.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2010 01:53PM by D & C @ Work.
Date: February 24, 2010 02:40PM
>>Is there really stem length "fashion"?

Of course there is. You won't see anything like what's on that bridgestone any more. I'm sure there's a "reason" for it (like I said above), but I still think it would be fair to call it fashion. kj.
Date: February 24, 2010 03:37PM
Originally I intended to replace the handlebar to get a more upright riding position. The said mechanic thought better to save me money: He replaced the stem instead. I didn't have to pay more for a new handle bar nor new brake cables.

I didn't think the Satori was of good quality because my google-searched pulled up its sale at Kmart, Walmart and Sears! Those dept stores are the last place to buy any good quality bicycle accessories or parts.

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2010 03:38PM by kap.
Posted by: davester
Date: February 24, 2010 04:43PM
kj

Of course there is. You won't see anything like what's on that bridgestone any more.

Based on the saddle extension, it's pretty obvious that the rider of the bridgestone is way too big for the frame and has added an ultra-long stem to compensate. I call BS on this stem "fashion" thing.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 24, 2010 05:55PM
cheap can be perfectly fine for bike parts. the expensive ones tend to be lighter and more likely to break.

Date: February 24, 2010 07:26PM
davester
kj

Of course there is. You won't see anything like what's on that bridgestone any more.

Based on the saddle extension, it's pretty obvious that the rider of the bridgestone is way too big for the frame and has added an ultra-long stem to compensate. I call BS on this stem "fashion" thing.

Well, it must be nice to know things without having any idea. Have a good one. kj.
Date: February 24, 2010 07:50PM
davester
kj

That sounds 'uncomfortable' dunno smiley

SoCal for now.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 25, 2010 12:14AM
davester
kj

thats a good point, now that you mention it, with the seat that high the frame is just way, way too small.

my seat is no where near that high, the frame fits me.

Those grips look comfy D&C -- I have a set of AT-4s on mine, like this:

here are some AT-4 PROs for $10 -- sweet deal if they stay that cheap

[cgi.ebay.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2010 12:22AM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020