advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OK to hook up an external drive with two ports?
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: December 22, 2005 12:12PM
Am trying clone an external drive. The 4-pin to 6-pin Firewire cable didn't work. Tried several cables, so I assume the 4-pin port on the external drive isn't working.

Right now I've got the drive plugged in using a USB cable. This is going into a USB one port on an iMac G3 900. As you can imagine, Carbon Copy Cloner is slow.

Just found a 6-pin to 6-pin Firewire cable. Is it OK to plug this cable in while the external drive is already plugged in with a USB cable?

thanks, Todd's keyboard
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OK to hook up an external drive with two ports?
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: December 22, 2005 12:15PM
I'd say no.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: December 22, 2005 01:49PM
No...likely, the board only supports one connection at a time anyways - so nothing would probably happen, but I'd still recommend not to do it.

Why would you want to plug it in anyways while you are cloning? Just to see if it would mount on another computer at the same time?

If you want to use the new FW cable you found...just stop the cloning process, delete the drive/files that it's already done...unplug the USB cable and then start again with the FW cable.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: December 22, 2005 01:58PM
Thanks for the feedback.

The motivation to try the Firewire cable is for the faster transfer speed. The thought was that maybe the external device could be plugged into the same computer with two different ports, and default to the fastest one.

BTW, I don't see an obvious way to stop the cloning process. Well, I guess I could Force Quite CCC, unmount the drive and see if it mounts with a 6-pin Firewire cable. For now I will just let it slowly transfer the data through the USB cable.

thanks again, and wishes for a happy and a merry to all

Todd's keyboard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020