advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iChat and AIM for PC- help save my life!
Posted by: jardster
Date: April 25, 2006 08:44PM
My grandmother has a iMac G5 and we just got her an iSight. It connects fine with my G4 to do video chats.

I'm trying to get my mothers PC (running Winblows XP) to video chat with her. I just downloaded the AIM software, which is Triton.

Basically, I can't get a video chat connection. I must admit that my PC knowledge isn't all that strong (having never owned on- thank goodness!), but i'd really like to be able to get this working.

I now know why I could never own Win XP, and why the hell would I want it on my Mac?... ok, off topic.

Anyone able to get this to work and hand out some suggestions (other than get my mother to buy a Mac, I'm working on that)? If I have to sit in front of that stupid XP machine, I might just kill myself, so save me!

Thanks

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iChat and AIM for PC- help save my life!
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: April 26, 2006 12:07AM
Triton doesn't work with iChat video. Get the older AIM 5.5 from aim.com
Posted by: Kiva
Date: April 26, 2006 02:07AM
skype?

older AIM should work...

kiva

----------------------
Posted by: jardster
Date: April 26, 2006 05:22AM
any idea where you can download the older AIM? I can't find it at the aim.com website.

Thanks

Posted by: modelamac
Date: April 26, 2006 06:47AM
Set up SightSpeed on all computers. There is a free version for each platform, and it works well. I use it to video chat on my Mac with each of my 3 kids using Windows XP and FW and USB 2 webcams.

It is the closest s/w I have found to iChat, but does not have the same high quality. It does offer the ability to send video email.

SS is not at all difficult to set up. You can coach each one thru the process over the phone. Do it yourself first, and contact the test site. Then set up Grandma on her PC.

Note that SS will commandeer the iSight camera, and Mom may have a bit of a struggle learning to get it back the next time she wants to use iChat. After that, no more problems.

Unfortunately, I find using SS with my PC contacts works a lot easier than trying to use iChat on my end and AIM 5.5 or 5.9 on the PC end. That is due to the AIM s/w, IMHO, and not iChat.

You may have to open the appropriate port in System Preferences/Sharing/Firewall, and do the same in any router that is involved in one of those locations, but SS will direct you to troubleshoot that, if necessary.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: Frank Pardue
Date: April 26, 2006 07:53AM
Google is your friend.

[www.oldversion.com]
Posted by: JJ
Date: April 26, 2006 01:27PM
I second SightSpeed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020