advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OOma in the house!
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 05, 2010 09:32AM
We changed from CableVision to Vzn FiOS a few months back.
The one good thing with CV was that you could add a line for $30/mo.
I inquired of Vzn about adding a 2nd line to the FiOS package. $70/mo.
WTF?

So after having consistent $80/mo bills for my spouses line (without adding her to FiOS), we went with OOma for her line. Man - is the Vzn business model on that idea wrong wrong wrong!

Technically, the change had been great, so far. Still waiting for the port to happen.
The units are well built and sturdy. I accidentally plugged in the Vzn landline to the wrong port and the 70v didn't take out the Scout. So they're intelligently designed too.

However, Amazon had the Premiere at $99 and OOma apparently raised that 1st of the year to $120.
Amazon agreed to eat the difference. Although it is humorous to note that the email from CS said, they have to confirm from multiple sources. Huh?

I hope they last longer then SunRocket did. But considering who's behind OOma in VC and what their gear is, one can only hope.

Tsk tsk Verizon, You're being boneheaded.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OOma in the house!
Posted by: Dakota
Date: March 05, 2010 09:48AM
I hate to have to explain to wife what is happening while I am frantically switching and configuring boxes. What happens to your Verizon number in the middle of the port?

After you discover you're riding a dead horse, your best strategy is to dismount.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 05, 2010 09:58AM
Our Verizon number is still ringing in the house just fine.
Outgoing calls are on OOma.
The OOma boz will pick up VM if you ask it to. But we have left the VM on a stand alone device in the house.
Config is literally minutes to set up and was very smooth.
The activation online took more time than the config.
So far, so good.
Posted by: flareslow
Date: March 05, 2010 10:30AM
On the day my ATT landline number was scheduled to be ported, my ATT line went dead sometime in the afternoon. I waited a while for the Ooma to start working with the ported number, but that evening incoming calls would not go through. The temporary number would continue to work. After two calls to customer service, they were able to complete the switchover and one day after the scheduled port the number was working. It has worked well ever since (1 week). The voicemail forward to email is a great feature.

Mike
Posted by: Gilbert
Date: March 05, 2010 11:18AM
We ported a number from Tmobile@Home service to Ooma a couple of months ago. Similar to Mike, TMO dropped the line before Ooma picked it up. It happened late on Friday night and it didn't get resolved until Monday so we had two days where anyone calling our number would get a 'number disconnected' message. Ooma resolved it as quickly as they could and we have been happy with the service.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: March 05, 2010 01:13PM
Same for me. Initiated port from Vonage to Ooma. Vonage incoming stopped. Outgoing still worked. One day after the scheduled port was to complete, it all worked. Promptly canceled Vonage before the yearly pre-pay was to renew (read a few threads down).
Posted by: Dakota
Date: March 05, 2010 06:30PM
Can we setup some sort of home PBX on a spare computer and not pay anybody anything?

After you discover you're riding a dead horse, your best strategy is to dismount.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020