advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
balancing chemical equations
Posted by: pbarra1
Date: March 10, 2010 02:35PM
I once had a book that had two chemical equations that could be balanced with completely different coefficients and the set of coefficients represented different ratios. I know it sounds impossible but I saw it and am trying to find even one of the equations to share with a colleague. Anyone?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: balancing chemical equations
Posted by: Diana
Date: March 10, 2010 03:22PM
There isn't really one. You may be thinking of one that appears to be balanced, but when you examine the reaction you find that it is a redox reaction where the electrons themselves are not balanced, as shown here:

[pubs.acs.org]

Since the electrons are not overtly shown in the "balanced" chemical reaction, it appears that the equation is balanced but it isn't really. I may be able to get this journal article when I get home if you are truly interested. PM me if that's the case.

Diana
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 10, 2010 06:20PM
Good god - it's shocking to realize how much I've forgotten since college. sad smiley

It is what it is.
Posted by: DP
Date: March 10, 2010 10:44PM
Diana
There isn't really one. You may be thinking of one that appears to be balanced, but when you examine the reaction you find that it is a redox reaction where the electrons themselves are not balanced, as shown here:

[pubs.acs.org]

Since the electrons are not overtly shown in the "balanced" chemical reaction, it appears that the equation is balanced but it isn't really. I may be able to get this journal article when I get home if you are truly interested. PM me if that's the case.

Diana

Aren't you the doctor that popped up once a while back?
Posted by: pbarra1
Date: March 11, 2010 06:20AM
Yes - I expected that they were redox reactions but couldn't remember or find any examples. Thank you for finding one for me. My class has not yet discussed redox but we have balanced non-redox equations and thought they would enjoy seeing a reaction like this.
Posted by: Diana
Date: March 11, 2010 09:53AM
DP

Aren't you the doctor that popped up once a while back?

Yeah. That's what that piece of paper says. Not medical though, so don't be asking "Doc, it hurts when I do this...." old fogey smiley

The paper says "chemistry" too.

Diana

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 09:54AM by Diana.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 79
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020