advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: Groomsman gift ideas?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 28, 2006 06:07AM
So it's about that time- I need to order something for my groomsmen, but I don't really know what to get.

All these gift websites have pretty much the same stuff:
beer mugs, shot glasses, knives, leatherman tools, money clips, flasks, watches, lighters etc...

Best thing I have seen so far is a combo knife/money clip, nothing else really stands out to me.

I briefly considered something like an iPod, but some of the guys already have one. I want something useful that will really last, and doesn't promote drinking or smoking. Also something that probably won't break, so glass things are out.

Any ideas? We're dealing with the 20 something crowd here, so keep that in mind. Budget is up to $100 each.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: Groomsman gift ideas?
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: April 28, 2006 06:27AM
I think the small pocket knife is good. We are talking GUYS here, right?

Actually, the ONE cheap gift that I got 25 years ago that I still use to this day is a grooming kit. Nail clippers, tweezers, etc. in a nice leather case/holder.

But, part of my attachment to that is soon after I received that, my cousin from that family died in a weird car-related accident. So, oddly, I think of him and his surviving family when I trim my nails.

[www.amazon.com]

$100 per person? Geez. Prices have gone up! smiling smiley I don't think I spent $100 for the FOOD at the reception. smiling smiley

I've seen some sets of cufflinks, tie bars, metal stays (keep collars pointy), tie tacks, etc. Those could also be used DURING the ceremony and then have some sentimentality attached thusly.

[www.amazon.com]

Engraved photo frame for a pic of you and the individual groomsman.

BBQ tools? smiling smiley

[www.amazon.com]

Knife/thumbdrive?
[www.amazon.com]

A small tattoo??? shrug

(I know someone will say hookers and booze)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2006 06:47AM by SteveJobs.
Posted by: 3d
Date: April 28, 2006 06:32AM
I'm sure some of the guys have money clips. I'm sure some of the guys have watches. I'm sure some of the guys have leatherman tools. Picking one gift that none of the groomsmen have is gonna be tough.

If I had an iPod that's a few generations old, a new shuffle/nano gift would be awesome. You can also get it engraved. But you already said this idea is scratched off the list.

Compact/Pocket binoculars are cool and in your budget. Great for hiking, concerts, ballgames, spying on your neighbors,... etc.

Something like this?
[www.amazon.com]

But then what if some of them have binoculars...

**EDIT**
Be careful with giving knives of any sort as a gift if any groomsmen flew in for the wedding. You KNOW one of them is gonna be a bonehead and forget they had it with them in their carry-on luggage and will have it confiscated at the airport.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2006 06:37AM by 3d.
Posted by: Big Daddy Cool
Date: April 28, 2006 07:06AM
I went for the higher-end Leatherman and had them engraved with their initials. Actually, I got them when Amazon was having that great sale that included the mini Leatherman and had those engraved as well. It is something that they will have forever and will always be useful.

iPods and other electronics are great (I gave my brother one in addition to his Leatherman since he was the best man), but after a few years, it's outdated and is not a "keep forever" gift.
Posted by: MEG
Date: April 28, 2006 07:09AM
How about a nice fountain pen (or should I say writing insrument)? Something that when somebody asks them to sign something and they whip it out, the person will go "that's a nice pen". Good ones should last a lifetime and it's not something everyone has anymore.

PS - or hookers and booze smiling smiley
Date: April 28, 2006 07:24AM
I KNEW IT!

Posted by: blusubaru
Date: April 28, 2006 10:36AM
Thanks for reminding me Mike! Wow, I've really slept on this. A shuffle for all sounds like a good idea...hmm...
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 28, 2006 10:41AM
The pragmatic tool-user in me says "engraved Leatherman"... since the leatherman tool I carry every day was a gift from a friend, and engraved...

However, the Shuffle has great merit..

So does skipping the groomsman gift in favor of an increased bachelor party budget with decent quality strippers present.

But, in the end, a lap dance is transitory... tools are forever smiling smiley
(Although, a GOOD lap dance can stay in your memory for QUITE a while...)

grinning smiley

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 28, 2006 11:05AM
I second the notion of a tool or grooming kit. I gave pen and pencil sets, suitably engraved. No idea if any of them are still in existence, My brother in law gave grooming sets, and I've still got it and use it. My best friend gave engraved clocks, which I have, but it never worked (then again, his marriage has always been a bit spotty too..)

However-
I still have the 1940's swiss army knife my Dad bought in high school. I still have the 1960's sheath knife my grandfather gave me when I was 'old enough'. I still have the Craftsman tool box that my grandfather gave my Dad when he bought his first Jeep in 1950.

Electronics like ipods are SO temporary: 2-3 year lifespan, MAX. Do you expect your marriage to last until its battery wears out after 1,000 charges ? (If so- run, don't walk to the nearest exit buddy..)

Give something that will remind them of you and their link to you and your marriage as long as they live (unless they lose it). Think about the old stuff you still have from forever, or your dad and friend's dads still have.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: April 28, 2006 11:18AM
Well, I'm just thinking about the 4 other weddings that I and some of my gmen have been in over the last two years. The gifts were the normal ones mentioned above: flask, lockblade, Best Buy Gift card, and flask. I want to do something different, and they all know that a gift like an iPod or iTMS $50 gift card would be something that I would do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2006 11:19AM by blusubaru.
Posted by: 3d
Date: April 28, 2006 11:21AM
How about giving each groomsmen a card telling them that a $100 donation was given in their name to a local charity? NAH!! These groomsmen are throwing you a bachelor party not a tea party!

If you go with the cliched leatherman gift for the groomsmen. See if there's one with a belt-hole puncher. Aging 20-something year old guys will appreciate it smiling smiley

Just in the past 2 years i've seen Leathermans given out as groomsmen gifts 2 times. The other time, it was cufflinks.

Are the groomsmen, "blue collar" type guys? Who would actually have a use for a leatherman? Or is it a cool gift that would go right into the drawer/glove compartment after 30 mins of fondling it? Go with the shuffle/nano. I can't imagine ANY 20-something year old guy who would NOT like a new shuffle/nano.
Date: April 28, 2006 11:25AM
Some leatherman SNOBS won't be satisfied except for their PARTICULAR favorite model.

Posted by: lemmingboy
Date: April 28, 2006 11:28AM
Go shuffle or knife.

I have a half dozen money clips and picture frames in drawers from wedding I've been in.

Would love to have a knife or shuffle. They're items that even if you have one, having another for the glovebox of the car or to keep in your briefcase would be great.

ALL guys love tech and sharp things.

-Shawn
Posted by: John B.
Date: April 28, 2006 01:07PM
I would support the knife as well. A nice 3" blade or so, metal case, built in pocket/belt clip, maybe engraved. I also carry something called a "SwissTech Utili-Key" on my keychain...folds up to look like a long house key, but it has a cutting blade and Phillips & flat-head screwdriver blades on it...comes in handy when you forget the pocketknife (Eddie Bauer/REI/sports-type stores sell them). LED flashlights are new enough that they might be good gift material as well, if you're looking to package a couple things together.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: April 28, 2006 02:16PM
Beer of the month subscription?

Won't last forever, but who wouldn't like a yeers worth of beers? Was going to do this for mine, but had to be a little more price concious. Ended up settling on a Leatherman Micra. Seven years later, most of my groomsmen still have them on their keyrings and use them regularly (I use mine daily...literally). If they don't, it's because they already wore them out.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 28, 2006 02:45PM
Depends on the groomsmen. . .are they "handy?"

most guys probably won't use the leathermen that frequently unless they are "handy"

the shuffle would get used more often. ..IMHO

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 28, 2006 03:16PM
most are more 'handy' than 'techie' so i'll probably go with the knife idea, thanks for the suggestions
Posted by: BobC
Date: April 28, 2006 04:14PM
How about combining the pocketknife & techno ideas into a USB Swiss Army knife? A quick stab at Froogle found these (http://www.swissknifewarehouse.com/viswusbmekn.html) in the price range you mention, but there are probably other good deals.

A 128 or 256MB drive isn't huge these days, but the gagdet appeal of having it in the knife would add some fun. If you didn't want to physically engrave them, you might try putting some music on the drive, maybe customized for each guy if you know them well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020