Date: April 30, 2006 12:05PM
<[www.sfgate.com];
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Jet Powered VW Bug
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 30, 2006 12:19PM
That is beyond description..

"the jet sucks the flower from the vase... LOL

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: April 30, 2006 12:19PM
Why?
He can't run it on a dragstrip, it has no rollcage (No, those supports around the engine are the engine mounts, not a rollcage), and no firewall between the engine and the driver.

Also it is illegal to drive on public roads in California with the nozzle sticking out so far.
Oh, despite what he writes in his blog about the vehicle being "Street Legal", it isn't.

What a waste of money.

BGnR

Registration Requirements for Home-Made, Specially Constructed, or Kit VehiclesA "home-made, specially constructed, or kit vehicle" is a vehicle that is built for private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer. These vehicles may be built from a kit, new or used parts, a combination of new and used parts, or a vehicle reported for dismantling (junked) that, when reconstructed, does not resemble the original make of the vehicle that was dismantled.

A specially constructed vehicle (SPCNS) does not include a vehicle that has been repaired or restored to its original design by replacing parts or a vehicle modified from its original design.

Example: A Volkswagen "Beetle" with modified fenders, engine compartment lid, and front end, but still recognizable as a Volkswagen is not considered a specially constructed vehicle.

NOTE: The registration requirements for kit commercial vehicles are the same as for specially constructed vehicles.

The Registration Requirements are:

A completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343)
A vehicle verification done by the California Highway Patrol (CHP). You must start your application process with the DMV prior to contacting the CHP for a vehicle verification. DMV verifies trailers with an unladen weight of 6,000 pounds or less.
A completed Statement of Construction (REG 5036).
Proof of ownership, such as invoices, receipts, manufacturers’ certificates of origin, bills of sale, or junk receipts for the major component parts (engine, frame, transmission, and body).

NOTE: A motor vehicle bond is required when proof of ownership cannot be obtained for parts valued a $5000 or more.
Official brake and light adjustment certificates. When an official brake and light station that inspects specific vehicles such as motorcycles and large commercial vehicles is not located within a reasonable distance, DMV will accept a Statement of Facts (REG 256) from a repair shop attesting that the brakes and lights are in proper working order. Brake and light certificates are not required for off-highway vehicles or trailers weighing less than 3,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.
A weight certificate for commercial vehicles weighing 10,000 pounds or less.
An emission control inspection (smog check) by a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee Station. For information on SPCNS Certificates of Sequence click here. To make an appointment at a BAR Referee Station, call 1-800-622-7733.
All fees due.
Visit your local DMV to begin the application process, make an appointment for faster service.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2006 12:32PM by BigGuynRusty.
Posted by: outcast
Date: April 30, 2006 12:22PM
That is so stupid.

And oh my God, do I want one!

outcast
Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: April 30, 2006 12:49PM
Boy rusty, you sure are a stodgy old spoilsport. You're in no position to deem this fellow's choice of how to spend HIS money "a waste."

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 30, 2006 12:54PM
if you have to ask why, then you don't understand customizing.

but, all said, that is totally INSANE and not street legal by a longshot.
Date: April 30, 2006 01:51PM
Don Kiyoti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Boy rusty, you sure are a stodgy old spoilsport.
> You're in no position to deem this fellow's choice
> of how to spend HIS money "a waste."

Not really calling it a waste of money, just if he really spent $1.5 Million, why didn't he spend $1,000 to at least make it dragstrip legal, and it isn't even close to street legal, so I wish that he would stop saying that to everyone who interviews him.

Stodgy? Cars I have owned.:
T-Bucket with a 426 Hemi, Roots blown, about 1400 pounds, 1200HP. A wild ride!
1973 Firebird Formula 455HO Nitrous, 800HP, daily driver.
1969 Camaro RS/SS Convertible 454 Aluminum heads, Nitrous, 780HP, another daily driver.

My favorite.:
1998.5 Contour SVT, was stock for two weeks.
Now.:
3L HO motor. Pulls 300HP and 271 ftlbs of torque out of 183 Cubic Inches!
Vortech Supercharger
Quaife Differential
Focus SVT Six-Speed.
17 Focus SVT Wheels
Baer Brakes, 14" Front, 12" Rear.
The car is completely street legal and idles like velvet, handles like it is on rails.
Air conditioning, leather, full power everything. Before the Mods, this car was rated by Ford to do 147MPH, Car and Driver did 152MPH when they tested a stocker.

I still talk to the new owner, he loves killing Vettes and Porsches.

BGnR

Posted by: Carm
Date: April 30, 2006 02:07PM

He is just blowing smoke out his ... grinning smiley
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: April 30, 2006 02:40PM
If you are going to the trouble of making something jet powered, THIS is the way to go!!!! A jet powered beer cooler! Below are excerpts from the linked site.

[www.asciimation.co.nz]

I knew from some long forgotten physics lecture that when a liquid expands into a gas it will draw heat from its surroundings. And I happened to have a source of a suitable liquid right in my shed in the form of a LPG cylinder (liquid petroleum gas). Obviously it would not do to evaporate vast quantities of a flammable gas into the closed confines of my garage. That would probably be dangerous. What I needed was a way to remove the dangerous gas. The solution was obvious. The gas is flammable so why not burn it. Burning the gas with a normal burner would not use up the gas fast enough to give me any serious cooling. What I needed was a way to use up a lot of fuel very, very quickly.

What I needed was a jet engine!

As everyone knows jet engines use a lot of fuel. And a smallish one running in my shed would use up enough fuel from my gas bottle to sufficiently cool my beer.

I went to work. A jet engine in its simplest form consists of a COMBUSTOR where fuel is burnt to heat air, a TURBINE extracting energy from the heated air and a COMPRESSOR which is turned by the turbine to provide air to the combustor. I knew that a common turbocharger from a car engine has two of these three things, the compressor and the turbine. All I needed to add was the third, the combustor. After much investigating and designing and building and dodgy welding I built my engine.

And here is the final result after running the engine for about 5 minutes. The engine itself will run at up to 100000 rpm with exhaust temperatures of around 500 C and noise levels in excess of 125 dBA. The beer is successfully chilled to a nice cool 2 C.

Dennis R
Date: April 30, 2006 03:22PM
Or Jet powered wheelchair!

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Jet-powered wheelchair surprise

Giuseppe Cannella can reach speeds of more than 60mph
Giuseppe Cannella had a big surprise for his mother-in-law when he put a jet engine on the back of her wheelchair.
Mr Cannella says the chair can now do top speeds of more than 60mph and has proved the star of a model plane championship during the Bank Holiday.

A model plane enthusiast himself, Mr Cannella has been putting on shows at Barkston Heath near Grantham, Lincs.

"It is just the wheelchair with the engine bolted on the back and steering on the front," he said.

Date: April 30, 2006 03:26PM
Or go here [www.aardvark.co.nz]

to see jet powered car, scooter, go-kart, and a Toyota MR2 equipped with three home-built turbo-based gas turbine engines

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2006 03:26PM by Dennis R.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 30, 2006 03:38PM
Wouldn't be cool if someone was really tailgating you could
just make that thing blow out about 2-3ft flame, not enough to damage
anything but you get my drift.

Grateful11
Posted by: Big Daddy Cool
Date: April 30, 2006 07:05PM
Doesn't Jay Leno own a jet-powered motorcycle?
Posted by: kap
Date: April 30, 2006 08:10PM
Burn his uni-brow at the least ;)

Kap

Grateful11 Wrote:
> Wouldn't be cool if someone was really tailgating
> you could
> just make that thing blow out about 2-3ft flame,
> not enough to damage
> anything but you get my drift.
>
> Grateful11
>
>

SoCal for now.
Date: April 30, 2006 08:23PM
Big Daddy Cool Wrote:
> Doesn't Jay Leno own a jet-powered motorcycle?

Yes, but turbine powered shaft drive, helicopter engine, hot exhaust, no flame.

BGnR
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 30, 2006 08:48PM
It's just cool in a guy kind of way. Reminds me of the time my company made a jet powered machine. First time we fired it up in the lab, people came from all around the plant just to stand around, listen to the whoosh, and make that ooh-ooh-ooh Tim Taylor sound.

Then again, the day someone drove a NASCAR stock car down the main aisle in the plant sticks in my mind too- pretty much everyone came to gawk at it.
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: May 01, 2006 06:50AM
that is pretty cool, but can't be street legal.

Posted by: cymbospondylus
Date: May 01, 2006 05:15PM
I can't believe I watched 5 minutes of video of a car with a jet engine and didn't get to see it go anywhere! Why not take it to the desert or something and show us how fast it can really go? But just firing it up while parked in a parking lot? That's more wasteful than those 120 db car stereo contests. And the story didn't say a thing about why he was doing it, or if he was a speed demon, or anything really interesting. Just, "Oo. he put a jet engine in a car."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020