advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Let's Talk Leather Furniture
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 17, 2010 09:18AM
I'm looking to add a small leather sofa/loveseat sleeper in my front room and stumbled across this site last night. [www.modernlinefurniture.com]

The prices seem too good to be true, but I'm really digging the modern styles they have. None of the furniture stores around here sell anything like what's displayed.

Has anyone ever ordered from them, or know of another online source to leather furniture of this type? The pics look really nice, but I hate to order something like this without some more information about the quality of goods and reputation of the company.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Let's Talk Leather Furniture
Posted by: Carm
Date: April 17, 2010 10:04AM
My wife and I had the same dilemma, so we drove out to Los Angeles to some independent furniture stores, found the style we wanted, but the comfort/quality wasnt there. Also drove to IKEA on our way back. Nothing. We ended up getting something more traditional and comfortable, because we actually planned on sitting in them.
My suggestion is to get it locally if you care about comfort and quality.

Joe
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 17, 2010 10:31AM
I was in Costco yesterday and they had a nice looking black leather euro style sofa/love seat/sleeper/fold down thing that was under $500, $399 or so, I think. They do not show it online, so you would have to go to an actual store to see if they have it, but it looked very nice for the price.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 17, 2010 10:37AM
The real issue with leather furniture is the quality of the material under the leather, and the thickness of the leather itself. While the world's appetite for meat produces a steady supply of hides, much of the hides that are sewn into furniture is... well, NOT from cows. And you don't want to know what it might be from.

The only real test is to come in contact with it. Pinch the leather in your hands. Does it fold incredibly easily like a silk shirt ? Too thin. Does it feel like a piece of lineoleum ? Too stiff / thick (unless you're going for the steer hide "Bonanza" look, or miss your old Brooks bicycle saddle)

The thin stuff may feel sensuously soft, but it will wear out almost as fast as if the couch was made of tissue paper.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: April 17, 2010 10:45AM
My guess is that this is not "leather" referring to an actual piece of continuous hide that has been tanned. this is likely to be some form of manufactured leather (ground up bits of leather glued together with plastic). With that said, we bought a two pack of chairs from costco with this kind of leather, and for the price, they look and feel pretty nice.
Posted by: Dakota
Date: April 17, 2010 11:48AM
They look too squarish and stiff. We have lived with leather for years but in the end I prefer fabric. Leather feels cold all the time.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: April 17, 2010 12:37PM
I love REAL leather, but have learned that they make something called "German" leather, or some such name that is not real leather. I would not buy furniture online unless I could see it before the purchase. They are good at making and naming fake stuff these days, so be careful. And let us know how it goes.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: April 17, 2010 01:11PM
Rick-O, I've seen some of those pieces at local deep-discount furniture outlets locally. I wouldn't consider buying furniture from one of those places, much less online.

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]
Posted by: billb
Date: April 17, 2010 01:22PM
not want to parrot GuyGene, but with furniture there's a n awful lot of truth to the axiom you get what you pay for.

There is some decent relatively inexpensive furniture out there, but there's an awful lot of cheap poorly made crap that looks deceivingly well made.

I hope there's a furniture expert on here, they don't always appreciate you tipping furniture over in the store to try to determine how well made something looks is .
Date: April 17, 2010 05:29PM
Hey, I like it when I come back to a thread with lots of helpful comments! Thanks all! I found out a few things about the company since posting this, so here goes:

- Their stuff is made in China. (Are there any U.S. furniture factories left?) I guess no surprise there, but the factory looks clean, and you can get an idea of how the furniture is made from this link [cgi3.ebay.com]

- They have a store on ebay with apparently a lot of satisfied customers (over 19,000 feedback) and listed as a Top Rate Seller

- They say real leather wherever your body comes in contact, and "leather match" (synthetic) for the other parts of the piece.

What kind of leather do you use on your leather sets ? Is it real leather ?
We use top-grain leather on all our sets. The sitting area (where your body touches the furniture when you sit on it) is all real leather. On back and sides we use leather match. Leather match is one of many terms that can be used to refer to a synthetic leather material which substitutes for genuine leather in some areas of our upholstery. However, leather match is used only in areas that the body does not touch when sitting and is meant to look, feel and wear the same as the genuine leather used in the seating area.

@ Joe: I understand the comfort issue, but that's down my list a bit. This is for a room that already has two oversized leather lazyboy recliners. That's where we veg out in front of the tv. I want to have additional seating and another option for overnight guests. Most times, the sofa sleeper wouldn't be used. I recently hung a 50" plasma on the wall and now this room has excess space where I thought something like this sleeper would be practical.

@ Rhonda: You people and your Costcos!! Don't you realize it's a 400 mile round trip to my nearest? I would LOVE for them to open one up this way, but it probably will never happen. I'm jealous of you folks that have them somewhat near. And yeah, what you described is probably exactly what I'm looking for.

@ Cbelt: I agree what you say about leather thickness. I wouldn't give the thin stuff a 2nd look. I prefer the heavier stuff. They will send a free swatch upon request. I may ask for a sample.

@ GuyGene: I hear you, buddy! Leather all the way for me too. If I pull the trigger, I'll do a follow up.

@ Don Kioti: Hmm... that doesn't sound encouraging. Did you do any hands on (backside on?) testing? The video on their site shows a woman demonstrating the sleeper I'm considering, and it seemed sturdy enough when she plopped down on it.

@billb: Yeah, I see that all the time. People pay big money for junk, while some seem to get quality for less $. That's why I was hoping to find someone here that may have had some first hand experience with this stuff. If you look at the pics at the link above of the factory, it seems like they are made well, but that could just be all show.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 17, 2010 06:10PM
Rick,

I'm not fond of leather furniture. It requires more care than fabric and can look worn more quickly in my experience. Personally, if I were to get a sofa or a chair, I'd absolutely get a sofa with 8-way hand tied springs and a fabric slipcover.

8-way hand tied springs are the best and will hold up for over the long haul. A slipcover is great becauseyou can get more than one and swap them when you're in the mood. Or, if it gets dirty, you simply remove it, bring it to the dry cleaner, they clean it and you put it back on again. Or, if you get tired of the color and/or design, you call up the company and order a new slipcover. They keep the pattern for a very long time.

Check out [www.furniturelandsouth.com]. They are one of the better North Carolina based furniture companies and offer great deals and white glove delivery.

Robert
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 17, 2010 06:40PM

you could sleep in this one

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2010 06:44PM by Racer X.
Date: April 17, 2010 06:53PM
Robert M

Check out [www.furniturelandsouth.com]. They are one of the better North Carolina based furniture companies and offer great deals and white glove delivery.

Robert

Hey, thanks Robert, I'll give'm a look see.

Racer, are those part of your personal collection? eek2 smiley

Date: April 17, 2010 06:56PM
no comment...... rolleyes smiley
Date: April 17, 2010 07:08PM
big grin smiley

Posted by: iaJim
Date: April 17, 2010 09:14PM
Good leather is very comfortable. Cheap leather is like sitting on plastic-sweaty and uncomfortable.
Date: April 17, 2010 09:27PM
Posted by: stephen
Date: April 17, 2010 09:57PM
Some of those designs are interesting, though. I'm looking for the impossible combination of a really contemporary great looking, comfortable sofa that also sleeps well. Wish I could find/try a couple of those.
Date: April 18, 2010 11:59AM
stephen
Wish I could find/try a couple of those.

Ditto! This company seems to have a decent return policy, but you lose the hefty delivery charge if you send it back.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020