advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
SCSI HD for a Powermac 9600?
Posted by: prof
Date: April 17, 2010 10:03AM
I have a friend who still using a Powermac 9600 running System 8.1 and he's looking for a large (80 gig or better) SCSI HD for it. Any ideas on where to find one?? Our kind sponsors no longer seem to have them.

TIA,
prof

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2010 10:04AM by prof.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: SCSI HD for a Powermac 9600?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 17, 2010 10:56AM
talk them into 80 meg thru 4.5 gig, then PM me after they go for it :-)

sorry, no clue where to source BIG SCSI... largest here are a pair of 9GB's in a PM7300...

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 17, 2010 10:58AM
There are no new Narrow SCSI HDs available anymore. The most recent ones were available maybe 8 years ago - Seagate had the 18 and 36GB Barracuda ES, I have one of each still in service. Your best bet is probably to find a used one (not a great option) or to find a used TurboMax PCI card or similar specifically Mac OS 9 compatible card, which is compatible with IDE drives and is bootable in OS 8 and 9.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 17, 2010 10:59AM
95% of SCSI made in the last 6 years was uber high end for servers. Anything remotely new is going to be way overpriced, ~$1/GB. Every couple of months I see someone dumping two dozen 73 GB or 146 GB drives on ebay for a reasonable price. Mostly only 80 pin 10k rpm -15k rpm power suckers though.

$75 BIN 147GB Fujitsu [search.ebay.com]

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Doc
Date: April 17, 2010 11:05AM
eBay has used SCSI drives, of course.

When buying one, you must make doubly certain that the interface is correct, but you have some leeway since 68-pin and 80-pin SCSI can be adapted to 50-pin and still work.

Make sure to price the appropriate adapter before making a purchase.

[shop.ebay.com]
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: April 17, 2010 11:16AM
Your friend should realize he will soon (VERY SOON) be totally S O L. NOW would be a good time to jump to the 21st Century. . . dunno smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Black
Date: April 17, 2010 11:29AM
What about a PCI IDE card?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: April 17, 2010 11:48AM
Yes, his best bet would be to add a card. I'd suggest getting a SATA controller rather than IDE, though.

I have an 80GB ATA drive in my 9600, attached to an ATA66 card. I also have several 18GB U2W SCSI drives in it.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 17, 2010 11:49AM
I'd slap a firewire card in it, and use an external drive.

That way, when the 9600 finally takes the eternal dirt nap, it's just a matter of connecting the drive to a modern computer to retrieve the data.

Staying with a SCSI internal, I'm not even sure how you'd connect one to a modern Mac to save things.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: April 17, 2010 11:57AM
I'd slap a firewire card in it, and use an external drive.

I never had much luck with FW HDs on any of my machines of that era. The only such drives that worked well were the ones I installed in the very first FW enclosures I acquired, which did not have the faster chipset that came along a year or so later. There used to be some software available that could be set to slow down transfers, which apparently worked for some people. Didn't seem worth it to me. Also, I don't think OS 8.1 has any FW support, so he'd need to move up to at least 8.6. A big leap forward, I know…
Date: April 17, 2010 12:02PM
Black

Hmm, does anybody have experience with a MacSense PCI SUA-100E, IDE and SATA? They say it is bootable and works in OS 8.x. I have no clue if it would work in a 9600. $60 for the card and $50 for either a IDE or SATA drive... Cheaper to buy a working G4 for $60 on Craigslist, or is there special software he needs to run in 8.1 or similar?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 17, 2010 12:20PM
i'd just ask on the low end mac site. probably someone has scsi drives that they'd be willing to part with for cheap

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 17, 2010 12:31PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Black

Hmm, does anybody have experience with a MacSense PCI SUA-100E, IDE and SATA? They say it is bootable and works in OS 8.x. I have no clue if it would work in a 9600. $60 for the card and $50 for either a IDE or SATA drive... Cheaper to buy a working G4 for $60 on Craigslist, or is there special software he needs to run in 8.1 or similar?

That card won't work:

"Comply with PCI Bus Revision 2.2"

7200-9600 PCI Macs had PCI 2.0, IIRC. Even the Beige G3s only have 2.1. You need an *old* PCI card which was made when PCI 2.0 compliance was still a concern for manufacturers. The TurboMax ATA/33 certainly is, the ACard ATA/66 is as well (I used both), but of course both were made ~10 years ago. Either of these will allow you to use brand new ATA drives (quite a few are still being made though they will dry up in the next few years).
Date: April 17, 2010 12:50PM
Ah, PCI 2.0 rings a bell. Yeah, my Quadra Fu is getting weak from lack of use.

I don't think anybody is making ATA drives any more. It is possible that a drive has a "manufacturing date" in the last year, but they are likely using up warehouse stock of components that was created even longer ago. Fry's has been closing out their IDE laptop drives, they were the only way to get a drive under 160 GB.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: April 17, 2010 01:17PM
My friend has tried a ATA PCI but says his system is less stable,
That's why he's trying to find a good size SCSI disk. I have a ATTO
UW SCSI card from a beige G3 that I'm pretty sure will work in the 9600. Would it be any easier finding drives for it?? Thanks for all the suggestions.

prof
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 17, 2010 01:27PM
I'm assuming that there is some specialized software/hardware the 9600 is running that keeps him from just dumping the 9600 for something modern... like say a G4 MDD? :-)

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 17, 2010 01:56PM
A 9600 probably uses as much electricity as my plasma TV.
Posted by: hal
Date: April 17, 2010 02:02PM
I have a couple of 18GB seagate/apple drives - not narrow scsi, but perhaps can be adapter. If you're interested in them for the cost of sipping, contact me.
Date: April 17, 2010 02:08PM
Paul F.
I'm assuming that there is some specialized software/hardware the 9600 is running that keeps him from just dumping the 9600 for something modern... like say a G4 MDD? :-)

Yes he uses an ancient version of Digital Perfomer that he swears runs perfectly on the 9600 in a way that none of the newer versions of DP on newer hardware. I know how he feels. I still miss working with StudioVision and I keep a beige G3 around for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2010 02:08PM by prof.
Date: April 17, 2010 02:32PM
You're not going to find a narrow drive in that size . . .
Here's a 50 to 80 pin adapter for $17. Add ~$140 for an 80-pin SCSI drive.

It's still not hard to find a large IDE drive.

The only problem I recall in regard to the Turbomax was the sound stuttering problem, but I think the 9600 may have been immune.

Pretty sure I have a Turbomax sitting dormant in an 8500 in the attic . . .

Date: April 17, 2010 02:32PM
Oops, link:

[discountechnology.com]

Posted by: JoeH
Date: April 17, 2010 02:49PM
prof
My friend has tried a ATA PCI but says his system is less stable,
That's why he's trying to find a good size SCSI disk. I have a ATTO
UW SCSI card from a beige G3 that I'm pretty sure will work in the 9600. Would it be any easier finding drives for it?? Thanks for all the suggestions.

prof

The Atto card should work fine. It is a bit easier finding 68-pin SCSI drives, and most UW2 and faster drives can operate in UW mode. Not a lot easier, but a little. You can still get 80-68 pin adapters or 80-50 pin adapters as well. At least there is extra clearance in a 9600 to make them usable.
Posted by: Buck
Date: April 17, 2010 07:49PM
I'm getting a headache remembering all this SCSI stuff.
Date: April 17, 2010 08:21PM
A U2W card would be better. UW SCSI imposes really severe limits on the total length of cable that can be used. It's very easy to exceed it. U2W is a lot better in that respect.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: April 17, 2010 08:41PM
My OWC SATA card worked well in my Power Mac 7300, but only with Tiger, I could never get Panther boot to work reliably. Not even with a "supported" Power Mac G3 or G4.

Nathan
Date: April 17, 2010 09:09PM
They made SATA cards for legacy macs?

It doesn't seem like the two eras are even close enough . . .

Posted by: silvarios
Date: April 17, 2010 09:26PM
Black, Sonnet may still sell one.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 17, 2010 09:33PM
[minneapolis.craigslist.org]

36GB SCSI HARD DR QTY 3 - $10

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: zebrafish
Date: April 17, 2010 10:51PM
I'm not entirely sure this comment is pertinent, but...

I ran this card--ACARD 6280M PCI Ultra ATA/133 PCI Interface for PowerMac--in both a 8600 and a 9600. When I tried to use an IDE drive attached to this card as a boot drive, I alway ran into trouble--crashes, system corruption. Worked great when not booting from it.
Date: April 17, 2010 11:00PM
zebrafish
I'm not entirely sure this comment is pertinent, but...

I ran this card--ACARD 6280M PCI Ultra ATA/133 PCI Interface for PowerMac--in both a 8600 and a 9600. When I tried to use an IDE drive attached to this card as a boot drive, I alway ran into trouble--crashes, system corruption. Worked great when not booting from it.

No trouble booting from my Turbomax 33 in my 8500.

Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: April 19, 2010 03:05PM
My 9600 has an 18GB/10k 68pin Apple Rom Seagate Cheetah connected to an Apple/ATTO U2W SCSI card, all pulled from a Smurf Server. Works flawlessly all the way back to 7.6.1....

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 82
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020