advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How Bad to Shut Down a Target-Mode Mac w/o Dismounting? I'll Tell Ya (long)...
Posted by: sscutchen
Date: December 22, 2005 10:34PM
Bad. You might want to read the sorted details just as a case study in system repair...

I moved my iMac to my PMac tonight to copy some files to the iMac. About 2GB, and I didn't want to wait on the network. So target mode seemed good. I had just done a SuperDuper backup in Target mode, and it worked great.

Well, stoopid me, I shut down the iMac and forgot to dismount it first. Went to reboot and it hung at the gray screen with the wheel turning... eventually spinning up the fans.

Tried to boot off the iMac system disk and it wouldn't go since it was 10.4.early and I was fully updated. It said to click Options for dealing with an older OS on the DVD, but it just hung there.

Tried Disk Warrior and it wouldn't go (more on this later).

So I went back to my PM and booted the iMac in target mode again. Luckily, this worked.

First, I did a Smart Update from my brand new SuperDuper clone. It found about 25 files that had changed, but eventually errored out. Which sounded like a low level disk problem that SuperDuper (which works at the file level) couldn't handle.

So I went to Disk Utility, and sho nuff, there were errors. And Disk Utility couldn't fix them all.

So I tried Disk Warrior again. Put it in the PM and tried to use it to fix the iMac. Well, the iMac is Tiger, and 3.0.2 DW, won't do it. So I go to the Alsoft web site, and yup... I need 3.0.3. I tried the updater. It downloads the updater to your HD, makes an image from your DW disk, updates the image, then burns it to a CD. The CD won't boot the iMac (you need a new disk from Alsoft for that, which they'll mail you) but you can run it from another machine in target mode, which sounded perfect for me.

EXCEPT... when the updater got to the "Insert a Blank CD" step, it conked out with an error. Tried it twice.

So at this point, I punted trying to repair the iMac's volume. I did an erase. Then a Disk Utility Verify, and all was OK on the newly emptied disk.

Now I'm SuperDupering from scratch from the backup I made this morning. VERY luckily, I lose nothing but the time to do a full restore instead of a smart restore which I might have gotten away with if I could have gotten Disk Warrior going.

I'll have to call Alsoft in the morning.

Don't ask who the bell's for, dude. It's you.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How Bad to Shut Down a Target-Mode Mac w/o Dismounting? I'll Tell Ya (long)...
Posted by: threeprong
Date: December 22, 2005 10:38PM
Sounds like the day i have every 9-10 months or so.

3p
Re: How Bad to Shut Down a Target-Mode Mac w/o Dismounting? I'll Tell Ya (long)...
Posted by: johnc
Date: December 22, 2005 11:03PM
sscutchen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> EXCEPT... when the updater got to the "Insert a
> Blank CD" step, it conked out with an error.
> Tried it twice.

At that point, you could return to the Finder, click anywhere on the Desktop and issue the "Go To Folder ..." command (command-shift-G).

In the dialog that appears, type the following:

/private/tmp

In the tmp folder, there should be a .dmg file (this is an image of the updated CD).

Option-drag the .dmg file to your Desktop (make sure you option-drag, so you'll be copying the .dmg file, leaving the original in the tmp folder). No need to mount the .dmg file (this just to avoid confusion).

Open Disk Utility, issue the "Burn ..." command (from the "Images" menu), select the .dmg file (NOT the mounted disk image, if you mounted the .dmg file anyway) and burn to disc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2005 11:13PM by johnc.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: December 22, 2005 11:06PM
Was that "assorted" details, or "sordid" details?

-BGnR
Posted by: sscutchen
Date: December 22, 2005 11:36PM
johnc,

I did what you suggested, and I have an image to burn! I opened the /tmp folder before starting the process, so it was already open when the update finished. Option-dragged to the desktop. Thanks a bunch!

I wonder if this is a Fast User Switching bug? I had a similar bug happen in iDVD where a temp file got "stuck" in a /tmp folder and caused me to get audio from an older iDVD project with every new project. REALLY had me going for a while. It would preview fine in iDVD, but the DVD image would have the wrong audio. Found the answer in an Apple tech note. I think the root bug occurs when iDVD is opened to two different projects under two different users at the same time. The wrong audio was from an iDVD project under my son's user account.

Don't ask who the bell's for, dude. It's you.
Posted by: bangman
Date: December 23, 2005 09:04AM
Well done johnc. Have to remember that.

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Posted by: Jp!
Date: August 15, 2006 05:26AM
wow
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020