advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Question for the dentists/consumer experts/pharmacologists here...
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 02, 2006 12:12PM
... just saw an ad for this new stuff, ACT Restoring Mouthwash... the claim on the ad is that it does more than help prevent cavities, that it actually "restores" enamel. That's the first I've heard of such a claim. A quick Google turned up their webpage:

[www.jnjoralhealth.com]

The active ingredient is Sodium fluoride -- fine -- but I'm trying to figure out how this stuff is supposed to help restore enamel. Looking through the inactive ingredients, I'm thinking it might be the calcium disodium EDTA ... but maybe somebody else here knows better. I'm curious what the supposed mechanism of this is, too. If it were true, it would seem to be a godsend... and I wonder why they're not also putting it into toothpaste, etc.

I did buy some of this stuff, because it was on sale... I'll be curious to see if it actually tastes decent, because I can't stand Listerine...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Question for the dentists/consumer experts/pharmacologists here...
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 02, 2006 12:30PM
I don't know the biochemical mechanism, but the notion of flouride (in toothpaste and mouthwash) rebuilding enamel is familiar to me.

This doesn't speak to the mechanism, but does support the notion of rebuilding: "Fluoride works by stopping or even reversing the tooth decay process. It keeps the tooth enamel strong and solid by preventing the loss of (and enhancing the re-attachment of) important minerals from the tooth enamel."

From here: [www.adha.org]
Date: May 02, 2006 12:42PM
Michael, right, but since fluoride is already in most everything else, why then this new claim? Unless it's just a marketing tactic...

On the page, they mention that this is "the ONLY leading mouthwash that restores minerals to weak spots in tooth enamel, to strengthen teeth". That would be true if it were the only mouthwash to have fluoride in it, but I don't think that's true...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2006 12:44PM by PeterB.
Posted by: Baby Tats
Date: May 02, 2006 02:21PM
If I recall correctly fluoride converts hydroxyapatite (sp?) to fluoroapatite in the teeth. The fluoroapatite is more impervious to the acid produced by the bacteria in the mouth. The edta complex you mentioned could theoretically provide free calcium to the teeth but I don't know how that would rebuild enamel. Short answer is that I don't know how or if this stuff actually works. Sounds like marketing, do they reference any clinical studies to back up their claims? If not, I wouldn't believe it. Seems like companies will put almost anything on their labels these days until someone asks them to take it off.

BT
Date: May 02, 2006 02:43PM
Hmmm...

Doing a little more hunting, I found these two links:

[www.prnewswire.co.uk]
[www.badbreathcures.com]

... which would seem to suggest that the idea is that the calcium and phosphates are what it is... curious that they would be using it in chelated form (EDTA) though...

Posted by: Michael
Date: May 02, 2006 03:03PM
Maybe the critical words in the ACT ad are "leading mouthwash" as opposed to "nonleading mouthwash!"

You're right that other mouthwashes have flouride. The cheap Walgreens generic that we buy has the same concentration as the ACT Restoring (sodium fluoride 0.05%). I'd bet Baby Tats is right and that it's marketing.

I wish we'd had flouride when I was a kid (and that I'd been better at brushing). I've got a whole mouth of crowns at $795 each; at least that was the price yesterday when I had my most recent one fit!
Date: May 02, 2006 03:27PM
Michael, I also notice that they don't consider "Tom's of Maine" as a leading mouthwash-- I'm sure the folks at Tom's don't appreciate that.

On the other hand, reading the stuff about Recaldent -- I know they're putting it into chewing gum -- if it works, it would be great...

Posted by: grad
Date: May 02, 2006 03:51PM
It is the calcium and phosphates.
Date: May 02, 2006 05:17PM
grad, you know that for sure how...?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 691
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020