advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What can one get a HS graduate that will have value/meaning later in their life?
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: May 25, 2010 05:50PM
This Apple email got me thinking by the time they get out of college, it will be broken, lost, or outdated.
So, what do you think is a physical item that can be gifted to a HS graduate, that they might keep until later in life? I still have my men's grooming set, out of everything that was given to me (and some other things) for HS graduation. I mean, come on, nail clippers don't go bad. smiling smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What can one get a HS graduate that will have value/meaning later in their life?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 25, 2010 05:54PM
I didn't get it for HS graduation, but I did get it for I think it was either my 16th or 18th birthday, and it's still working great (and I'm wearing it as I write this, and it's now over 20 years old):

[cgi.ebay.com]
(not really worth $200, but yes, they fetch a good amount these days)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2010 05:55PM by PeterB.
Re: What can one get a HS graduate that will have value/meaning later in their life?
Date: May 25, 2010 05:57PM
I had a Casio Melody Maker (goldtone face, rubber wristband). used to love that. Might have it stored away somewhere.

I've been hunting for the watch Roy Schneider used to countdown in Blue Thunder.
Posted by: Aardvark
Date: May 25, 2010 05:59PM
A Corvette would be a nice thing. You would be remembered.
Posted by: Kiva
Date: May 25, 2010 06:01PM
A bottle of vintage port or champagne that he can open if/when he gets married or on some other special occasion?

----------------------
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: May 25, 2010 06:02PM
Engraved business card holder
Self-winding dress watch (NOT a $%*!@ quartz watch)
Nice pocket knife (like a Benchmade Axis lock)

That's what I can think of off the top of my head...
Posted by: lazydays
Date: May 25, 2010 06:03PM
Thinking back to when I went to college I was short on food, shoes, gas for my car, dishes, glasses, kitchen appliances, silverware, kitchen table, anything to sit on, tv, bicycle, etc.

I don't know about things that will be usable later in life but I have very strong memories of when my uncle loaned me a table for my college years along with some chairs. A man I met in bimart gave me tv trays, another couple sold me a small sofa cheap, my brother-in-law gave me a tv, a woman gave me some tableware. I don't have any of those things anymore but I still appreciate what they did for me.
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 25, 2010 06:05PM
I still have an engraved Cross pen or two that I got, way back when I graduated. A nice pen never goes out of style.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 25, 2010 06:09PM
does the recipient play an instrument? my brother gave me a 12 string guitar when i graduated from high school. it was my first good guitar and served me well for many, many years.

If you want to fix our country, work with us in the states. statesproject.org

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Black
Date: May 25, 2010 06:15PM
Seems like a time in life at which you start traveling more.

I think I have every duffel bag or backpack of any sort that I've ever had still. I'd recommend a nice quality duffel bag . . .
Posted by: davester
Date: May 25, 2010 06:32PM
I am absolutely serious when I say get him/her this:

Buy it here: [www.amazon.com]

Here's the text:

Dr. Seuss
Oh! The Places You’ll Go!
by the incomparable Dr. Seuss

Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You’re off to Great Places!
You’re off and away!

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go.

You’ll look up and down streets. Look’em over with care. About some you will say, “I don’t choose to go there.” With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet, you’re too smart to go down a not-so-good street.

And you may not find any you’ll want to go down. In that case, of course, you’ll head straight out of town. It’s opener there in the wide open air.

Out there things can happen and frequently do to people as brainy and footsy as you.

And when things start to happen, don’t worry. Don’t stew. Just go right along. You’ll start happening too.

Oh! The Places You’ll Go!

You’ll be on your way up!
You’ll be seeing great sights!
You’ll join the high fliers who soar to high heights.

You won’t lag behind, because you’ll have the speed. You’ll pass the whole gang and you’ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you’ll be best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest.

Except when you don’t.
Because, sometimes, you won’t.

I’m sorry to say so but, sadly, it’s true that Bang-ups and Hang-ups can happen to you.

You can get all hung up in a prickle-ly perch. And your gang will fly on. You’ll be left in a Lurch.

You’ll come down from the Lurch with an unpleasant bump. And the chances are, then, that you’ll be in a Slump.

And when you’re in a Slump, you’re not in for much fun. Un-slumping yourself is not easily done.

You will come to a place where the streets are not marked. Some windows are lighted. But mostly they’re darked. A place you could sprain both your elbow and chin! Do you dare to stay out? Do you dare to go in? How much can you lose? How much can you win?

And if you go in, should you turn left or right…or right-and-three-quarters? Or, maybe, not quite? Or go around back and sneak in from behind? Simple it’s not, I’m afraid you will find, for a mind-maker-upper to make up his mind.

You can get so confused that you’ll start in to race down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace and grind on for miles across weirdish wild space, headed, I fear, toward a most useless place.

The Waiting Place…for people just waiting.

Waiting for a train to go or a bus to come, or a plane to go or the mail to come, or the rain to go or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow or waiting around for a Yes or No or waiting for their hair to grow. Everyone is just waiting.

Waiting for the fish to bite or waiting for wind to fly a kite or waiting around for Friday night or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake or a pot to boil, or a Better Break or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants or a wig with curls, or Another Chance. Everyone is just waiting.

No! That’s not for you!
Somehow you’ll escape all that waiting and staying. You’ll find the bright places where Boom Bands are playing. With banner flip-flapping, once more you’ll ride high! Ready for anything under the sky. Ready because you’re that kind of a guy!

Oh, the places you’ll go! There is fun to be done! There are points to be scored. There are games to be won. And the magical things you can do with that ball will make you the winning-est winner of all. Fame! You’ll be famous as famous can be, with the whole wide world watching you win on TV.

Except when they don’t. Because, sometimes, they won’t.

I’m afraid that some times you’ll play lonely games too. Games you can’t win ‘cause you’ll play against you.

All Alone!
Whether you like it or not, Alone will be something you’ll be quite a lot.

And when you’re alone, there’s a very good chance you’ll meet things that scare you right out of your pants. There are some, down the road between hither and yon, that can scare you so much you won’t want to go on.

But on you will go though the weather be foul. On you will go though your enemies prowl. On you will go though the Hakken-Kraks howl. Onward up many a frightening creek, though your arms may get sore and your sneakers may leak. On and on you will hike. And I know you’ll hike far and face up to your problems whatever they are.

You’ll get mixed up, of course, as you already know. You’ll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go. So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact and remember that Life’s a Great Balancing Act. Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. And never mix up your right foot with your left.

And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and ¾ percent guaranteed.)

Kid, you’ll move mountains!
So…be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray or Mordecai Ale Van Allen O’Shea, you’re off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So…get on your way!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 25, 2010 06:34PM
PeterB
I didn't get it for HS graduation, but I did get it for I think it was either my 16th or 18th birthday, and it's still working great (and I'm wearing it as I write this, and it's now over 20 years old):

[cgi.ebay.com]

I was thinking more along the lines of a Rolex or an Omega (my preference).

It is what it is.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 25, 2010 06:34PM
PeterB

[cgi.ebay.com]

I had a digital Casio dive watch that survived me welding it, and myself between my battery's + post and my radiator. That sucker lasted 15 years before the face cracked and leaked. It was accurate to about a second a month. I set it twice a year, and when the battery was changed.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 25, 2010 06:42PM
A Curta.

Designed in a Nazi concentration camp. Carried by salesmen and accountants for decades until those damn pesky digital calculators became affordable.

A functional, long lasting work of art, design, form and function:

Posted by: 3d
Date: May 25, 2010 06:52PM
A Rolex gets my vote. There are some less flashy models to choose from. He's gonna need a dependable watch for college classes then job interviews and meetings. It's as good as cash in most parts of the world.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: May 25, 2010 06:55PM
A framed photo of yourself to look back on to remember you by.smiling smiley
Posted by: microchip
Date: May 25, 2010 07:03PM
Heh, I bought myself a copy of "Oh The Places You'll Go" when I graduated.
Posted by: jardster
Date: May 25, 2010 07:05PM
Kiva
A bottle of vintage port or champagne that he can open if/when he gets married or on some other special occasion?
You are close, but...

Come on people! The answer is hookers and booze.

A lifetime of alcoholism and @#$%& lasts forever.

Based on an earlier post, may cost you as little as $5.

Date: May 25, 2010 07:11PM
jardster

We are definitely slipping. That certainly would provide a lifetime of "remember when Uncle Mini 9..." memories (of course they'd also remember when dad beat the @^%$!!@ out of Uncle Mini 9).

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2010 07:12PM by davester.
Posted by: Spock
Date: May 25, 2010 07:23PM
jardster

I can't believe it took this many posts to come up with the right answer. This forum is going to hell in a hand-basket.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: Wailer
Date: May 25, 2010 07:36PM
I'd give shares of stock with the certificate. They are all really cool looking.

One share of AAPL would have cost about $40 back when I graduated HS in the late 80s. It'd now be 6 shares worth about $1300. Of course, along the way it would have only been worth as little as $15 (the beleaguered days) and may some day may be worth nothing. But it can really spark an interest in building wealth, which is something I consider invaluable. It's also not trivial to liquidate and spend on hookers and booze. Maybe that's a downside. Joel from Risky Business would have been in trouble if he had been given stock instead of a savings bond and needed to cash it when the market was closed.
Date: May 25, 2010 07:52PM
Places you go seems a bit wide-eyed optimistic. smiling smiley

more like Oh, the ways in which you will be trampled down by your bosses. smiling smiley
Date: May 25, 2010 07:58PM
Mini 9

I'd say that high school graduation is not the stage in life where you should be squashing wild-eyed optimism.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 25, 2010 08:47PM
....a decent upbringing....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 25, 2010 08:57PM
davester
Mini 9

I'd say that high school graduation is not the stage in life where you should be squashing wild-eyed optimism.

I agree. I loved when I thought some beautiful girls would be persuaded by my silver tongue. smiling smiley
Posted by: Tofer
Date: May 25, 2010 08:59PM
Twenty years later, I still have two items I received for graduation; neither is particularly noteworthy, but for what it's worth, they are:

1. A red and black checkered picnic blanket given to me by friends of my parents. That picnic blanket (ad the associated picnic) indirectly led to my first nookie.

2. A nice ceramic mug from a local shop in the town where I grew up (a gift from a neighbor). The mug has the (unique) name of the town in which I grew up, and although my family and I have long since moved away, I'm glad to remember the town whenever I use the mug.

-Tofer
Posted by: iaJim
Date: May 25, 2010 09:29PM
I got a really nice Dopp shaving bag for graduation. I used it for 30 years until it was totally worn out. It's something a HS kid doesn't own, and will need if travel or life in a college dorm is in his future. I also got an alarm clock that I still have somewhere. Two useful tools for life that I used for many years.

OR, you could get the Beatles Mono Box Set.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 25, 2010 09:34PM
I'm with jardster on this....

...thanks for the memories agree smiley

years from now, when he dies with a smile on his face, you'll know why...
Date: May 25, 2010 10:34PM
Wailer is onto something ... and even if the stock tanks (not that it would), he's also right that those are really cool looking.

Posted by: vicrock
Date: May 25, 2010 10:47PM
I'm surprised to see watches prominently listed - I was under the impression that the younger generation folks merely look at the display on their cell phones!
Date: May 25, 2010 11:27PM
vicrock
I'm surprised to see watches prominently listed - I was under the impression that the younger generation folks merely look at the display on their cell phones!

They do, but let's be honest -- which will stand the test of time (pun intended) better, the watch or the phone?

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 26, 2010 12:00AM
A watch might be never worn unless they currently wear one. I have not worn one in 3 or 4 years, when my last Databank died. I used it mostly to calculate price per oz. when shopping at the market and store phone numbers until I got a cell.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 26, 2010 01:52AM
A Rolex is not for telling time. It's for telling the world that you're a ___________ (fill in with your perception).

Seriously, a nice Swiss auto is an accessory and there are many fine choices. I have an Omega triple-date that I really like. All stainless with a silver dial & hands. Looks great, but hard as hell to read. But like I said, it's not so much for telling time.

But I would not give one to a HS grad. College maybe, buy a HS-er is more likely to lose it, IMHO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2010 01:52AM by Lux Interior.
Posted by: MacDoxy
Date: May 26, 2010 03:04AM
how about a cd, stock, bond, or small starter investment portfolio?
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: May 26, 2010 06:12AM
3d
A Rolex gets my vote. There are some less flashy models to choose from. He's gonna need a dependable watch for college classes then job interviews and meetings. It's as good as cash in most parts of the world.

I agree. I at first cringed when my Dad said he was buying me a Rolex (this was an after-college gift, not a HS one) because his taste in such things was, shall we say, firmly rooted in the 70s (i.e., big flashy jewelry). The one he got me is very understated, I wear it every day, and I think of him and my grandfather (who wore one similar to mine) pretty much every time I look at it. (Sorry you have a negative association with them, Lux, but it means something to me other than expensive, so it's not a "rub" kind of thing for everyone.)

Of course, the true gift was helping me through all those times, so the watch is more reminder of that than anything else. Now that I'm thinking about it, the only reason I have a college ring is my Dad, who "forced" it on me even though I didn't really want one. (Thanks, Dad.)

Posted by: what4
Date: May 26, 2010 07:14AM
A CD of Schnabel's recording of Beethoven's Diabelli variations. That will keep the grad happily engaged for a lifetime.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: May 26, 2010 08:25AM
The only graduation present I still own (from 1987) is my alarm clock.

Make of that what you will...
Posted by: michaelb
Date: May 26, 2010 08:29AM
I think the Dr. Seuss book is a really lame graduation gift. Maybe that is just me. But it is a total cliche, and it is not a very good book either, ponderous, predictable, and not funny.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 26, 2010 10:32AM
I have one present from my bar mitzvah (age 13):

A custom leatherbound dictionary, with my name on it in gold leaf.

You buy a regular dictionary, then take it to a bookbinder, and have them bind it in leather, and put the recipient's name on it.
Posted by: particleman
Date: May 26, 2010 11:09AM
Assuming the HS gradate is going on to college, a keychain bottle opener is a handy item to have. A keg tap would be more expensive but would make the graduate quite the popular person on campus.
Date: May 26, 2010 11:29AM
michaelb
I think the Dr. Seuss book is a really lame graduation gift. Maybe that is just me. But it is a total cliche, and it is not a very good book either, ponderous, predictable, and not funny.

In defense of my Dr.Seuss recommendation, I did not intend for it to be the sole graduation gift...that would be lame. However, I take issue with your comments about it being "cliche" and "not a very good book". I found it inspirational when it was given to me and many people I know also felt that way. If it doesn't float your boat then don't do it, but you are pooh-poohing something that many people don't agree with you on, as evidenced by it's long-lived popularity.

Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: May 26, 2010 01:34PM
I still have my stereo from 1987 graduation - now that was a nice gift that has kept going for all these years!!
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 26, 2010 04:07PM
"What can one get a HS graduate that will have value/meaning later in their life?"

Easy... a college education.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 191
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020