advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Adventures in Sunderland - a new reality show (really!)
Posted by: Grace62
Date: June 14, 2010 02:44PM
You already knew this was coming, right?
Dad inked this deal before Abby sailed. He now says the deal is off (well, yeah, I guess so.) He also claims it was only going to be about Zac, but the producer's website has a project description online that is all about following Abby and was clearly written before she left.

[www.magneticent.com]

I know the responses will be "she has the right to be on a reality show! They have the right to make money on their kid's risky adventures! Mind your own business, you child coddling loser!" OK, now you don't have to.
I am not criticizing Abby in any way. She is smart, capable, brave, highly skilled. Her goals should be her own, it just doesn't look as though they truly are. I also think she is being used and pressured by adults, against her best interest and at extreme risk to her safety. The evidence points that way.
The organization that certifies sailing records removed the category of "youngest" for the reason that it was pushing kids to take unreasonable risks and they wanted no part of it.
That doesn't mean she's not capable of circumnavigating alone, as her brother did. She clearly is. Good luck to her.
What can we call this type of parent? Not a stage Dad. Dock Dad? Marina Mom?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Adventures in Sunderland - a new reality show (really!)
Posted by: billb
Date: June 14, 2010 02:52PM
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 14, 2010 03:56PM
If they want to risk their kids in international waters that is for them to decide, though I think it is stupid. Making taxpayers pick up rescue bill is the part I have an issue with.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: billb
Date: June 14, 2010 04:06PM
Taxpayers spent 680 million rescuing some not too bright sailors last year.

Let the drunks drown ?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 14, 2010 04:33PM
billb
Taxpayers spent 680 million rescuing some not too bright sailors last year.

Let the drunks drown ?

Yep. I went TDY to a pararescue unit on Long Island a long time ago.

Those guys flew missions every day. Sometimes it was for training, and sometimes it was to rescue somebody.

They have a budget for all of these missions, and the cost to the taxpayer does not increase if they're doing real rescue missions instead of training.

[www.pararescue.com]
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 14, 2010 07:05PM
pRICE cUBE
If they want to risk their kids in international waters that is for them to decide...

Actually that's not quite true. Parents cannot legally endanger minor children.
Although it's usually only enforced after-the-fact, plenty of kids are removed from the custody of biological parents because those parents acted in such a way as to harm or risk harm to their children.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: June 15, 2010 02:17AM
billb
Let the drunks drown ?

Nope. Pull 'em out and send them the bill.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 166
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020