advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Router for college dorm, printer?
Posted by: goosegunner
Date: June 15, 2010 11:09AM
My daughter is going to college. Dorm is not wireless but they recommend bringing a router for your room. I would like to find some thing very solid so they have no problems with drops or resets.

I have been using a linksys at home that is flashed with dd-wrt that has worked exceptionally well' but they are hard to find now.

Also security would be an issue, with many many computer users in a small space. I am still surprised the University allows this.

What would you recommend for a good trouble free router, also reasonably priced?

Also recommend printer, any suggestions?

gg
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Router for college dorm, printer?
Posted by: microchip
Date: June 15, 2010 11:12AM
I'd go for a Brother laser.

I picked up one with wireless for $70 last year after I realized my writing class involved lots of printing. It's served me very well so far.
Posted by: goosegunner
Date: June 15, 2010 11:28AM
microchip

I picked up one with wireless for $70 last year after I realized my writing class involved lots of printing. It's served me very well so far.

With your college experience;

The school offers free printing if you bring the paper. Would you still want a printer in your room?

gg
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 15, 2010 11:41AM
>>The school offers free printing if you bring the paper. Would you still want a printer in your room?

yes, to avoid problems with transferring files, document compatibility, etc.

Posted by: kap
Date: June 15, 2010 12:03PM
goosegunner
microchip

With your college experience;

The school offers free printing if you bring the paper. Would you still want a printer in your room?

gg

Yes, I would because people often forget to pick up all of their print-outs. Additionally, those print-outs aren't always school papers ;)
I vote for a Brother laser as well. Wi-Fi is even better. I have used HP, Samsung, and Dell but Brother always comes out a top.

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2010 12:04PM by kap.
Posted by: flareslow
Date: June 15, 2010 12:19PM
Apple Airport Express. Our refurb has served us well.
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 15, 2010 12:26PM
My daughter and her roommate used an Airport Express last year in their dorm and it worked out well. She also used he free after rebate HP printer that she got with her MBP purchase.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 15, 2010 12:35PM
When they said bring your own router did they say it could be wireless? The college my sons
go to won't allow wireless routers only wired. Now the whole college went wireless and the
signal is weak, my son is in computer tech. and got his wired connection turned back on and
uses a wired router.

Grateful11
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 15, 2010 12:47PM
flareslow
Apple Airport Express. Our refurb has served us well.

Yeah, I bought one a few months ago.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 15, 2010 01:48PM
goosegunner
What would you recommend for a good trouble free router, also reasonably priced?

Airport Express.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: June 15, 2010 03:31PM
I've been very happy with my Airport Express. I still run a Linksys router in tandem for the better Firewall on the Linksy and the ability to put N only devices on the Express and G only/wired devices on the Linksys. If I didn't mind G and N devices on the same network or only had one or the other, I would not hesitate to go Express only.

For a small room, the Airport Express is hard to beat. I have mine plugged into a surge protector placed on top of a six foot high bookshelf (better coverage up high). My Brother 2170W cost me $85.99 and has been a fabulous printer. 32MB RAM (non upgradeable) has been plenty for my needs. I don't print a lot. Occasional PDF booklet or driving directions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2010 03:50PM by silvarios.
Posted by: tenders
Date: June 15, 2010 05:54PM
I have a Brother 2170W printer too and agree, it's great. So is my 7820N, a wired multifunction printer. I'll never buy a non-networkable printer again.

How can anyone stop you from installing a wireless router in a wired network?

Have to say I've never owned a router I didn't like. Buffalo and Apple are the best, but even now I'm using a giant, cruddy-looking, no-name beast foisted upon me by FIOS and it works great too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020