advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can anyone recommend a "good" FM transmitter for iPods?
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 16, 2010 09:10AM
I hope that someone can recommend a good FM transmitter for an iPod touch. I have not read much good about FM transmitters, but am hoping that someone can point me towards one that is worth buying.

Thanks in advance for any links/advice. I would prefer one that does not have to be plugged into an outlet.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can anyone recommend a "good" FM transmitter for iPods?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 16, 2010 09:14AM
....wait for others to chime in but I find it to be an oxymoron....haven't had a good one yet........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2010 09:14AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 16, 2010 09:24AM
My favorite was an OWC special - and the relacement was not as good

I think they all suffer from upper limits on broadcast signal strength
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: June 16, 2010 09:31AM
i've tried several and they all sucked.

Date: June 16, 2010 09:39AM
You guys are just reinforcing what I have read/heard, but it isn't what I want to hear. grinning smiley

N S T . . .
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: June 16, 2010 09:47AM
No Such Thing ! devil smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: lazydays
Date: June 16, 2010 09:52AM
I have the crane fm transmitter and it works very well. It can run on battery or it can be plugged in. You can also open the back of the transmitter and crank up the power very easily. I use it to transmit in my home and it covers my entire lot. I have not used it in a car.

[www.ccrane.com]
Re: N S T . . .
Posted by: freeradical
There is such a thing as a good FM transmitter, but it costs a lot of coin.

[www.northcountryradio.com]
Check out iLounge.

If this is a vehicle you plan to keep, installing a converter can work well
Posted by: macbeergeek2
Date: June 16, 2010 10:32AM
I've got Griffin's iTrip (the older version, not the current one with "app support"). It's okay, and does what it was designed to do, and is very easy to use. I think with all of these FM transmitters, though, the perception of whether or not they work well is dependent on how and where you use them, and the number of radio stations in the area you use it. When I travel with it, I sometimes have to switch to a different frequency when the one I was using conflicts with a local station that wasn't in range when I started the drive. A minor annoyance to me, but not huge. I just accept that as an unavoidable downside of this type of technology. Radio stations fade in and out as you travel any distance from them, and so do the frequencies used by these devices. If you don't travel far enough to encounter overlapping radio station frequencies, then it may not be a problem. Also, as with radio stations, weather can affect reception. YMMV.

If you have a cassette player in your car, I've found some of those adapters that work quite well, but beware of cheap-o models.

EDIT: I just realized that I was making the assumption that you were looking for one for your car, but now I see that you never mentioned a car, but that still doesn't mean that you might not be traveling with it, since you mentioned looking for one that doesn't have to be plugged in, i.e. portable. Same logic applies regarding shifting FM frequencies.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2010 10:36AM by macbeergeek2.
Posted by: J-J-
Date: June 16, 2010 10:37AM
this has been a discussion since they were first available.
I bought an iRock! when it first came out and used it in Germany, worked great.
Back in the States it was great while traveling until I got to any urban area where the glut of radio stations would be a problem.

This is why you get a wide variety of reviews on them, if you live in a big city, they won't work for s**t
Rural areas they will work fine.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 16, 2010 10:46AM
The touch isn't ideal for a car system because you have to look at it to use, change tracks, etc. One can use an 2g shuffle or nano by touch.

My MPV has a CD player and Radio and blank spot for a cassette deck.

I HAD an iTrip. It plugged into the lighter and the dock connector. It xmitted on any frequency and could search for the clearest signal. Charged the iPod while playing. Pretty much the best one out there back in 2006. Cost about $80. Sounded like a low power, low output FM station, about half as loud as any other station. I left my windows open one night and it got stolen along with a CD case.

I decided to try an FM Modulator. Sounds better most of the time, unless I travel to a place were a station interferes with the freq (88.5). Cost about $150 installed.

After this I realized for less than the combined price I could have gone to the dealer and gotten the cassette deck installed or gotten a good third party deck with a dock connector and head unit / remote control!

If you plan to keep the car, don't lowball.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 16, 2010 10:51AM
another thought.
[www.crutchfield.com]

it plugs into the antenna. More work to get there though.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: June 16, 2010 11:04AM
Ditto on the early Griffin iTrips - as far as FM transmitters went, those were the best.
After thinking about it, I decided I had no need for an iPod FM transmitter, and instead bought (for nearly the same price) a MP3 FM transmitter - plugs into a cigarette lighter adapter, has shuffle or non-shuffle play, and best of all - I really wouldn't care if it ends up lost or stolen. MP3 files are stored on either an SD card or any USB device. I opted for an SD card, for compactness. The sound quality is nearly the same as what I was getting with the iPod/Griffin setup, cost was maybe $15.

Posted by: flareslow
Date: June 16, 2010 11:53AM
I also have the Crane model above and it works well. Just a little "clunky" looking.
Date: June 16, 2010 11:57AM
flareslow
I also have the Crane model above and it works well. Just a little "clunky" looking.

It is OOS at the page linked above, but it looks like they will have more around the 22nd. It does look a little bigger than what I was hoping for, but I will definitely keep it in mind.

This would be for use in a car. Replacing the in-dash stereo is not an option. It does have a cassette deck, so I can use a cassette adapter, but I was hoping for a solution that did not involve cords and such. Thanks for all the responses so far.

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 16, 2010 11:58AM
The original cylindrical iTrip transmitters worked quite well. They could transmit at relatively high power on the low-interference 87.9 MHz channel. The FCC subsequently banned the use of this frequency and lowered the maximum radiated power limit for FM transmitters. Devices compliant to the new regulations have been lousy.
Posted by: flareslow
Date: June 16, 2010 12:00PM
Or build your own with this:FM Transmitter

I built one and the sound quality is excellent. You can also adjust the amount of modulation to get a really clear audio with little distortion.
Posted by: lazydays
Date: June 16, 2010 12:08PM
For my in-house use I wouldn't mind upgrading to something like the kit flareslow mentions. The crane works well but something with a little more umph wouldn't hurt either.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: June 16, 2010 03:26PM
Fritz
another thought.
[www.crutchfield.com]

it plugs into the antenna. More work to get there though.

I saw something similar at Best Buy but it was like 2.5x the price. Are these things good? I don't get the option to tune to either frequency "for best reception". If it's hard wired, why would reception be bad? I get that it is still going through your antenna but it's wired in. I thought it would be pretty much the same as a standard aux jack off of a radio.

I'm really tempted to get one of these but don't want to deal with the interference I experienced using the other above mentioned FM transmitters.
Posted by: D. Lawson
Date: June 16, 2010 07:26PM
My original combination transmitter/charger Newer Technology RoadTrip (fixed on 87.9 FM) from OWC was great, but stopped charging after about five or six years. I replaced it with a TrafficJAMZ, also from OWC, but it's terrible. While I can select any frequency EXCEPT 87.9, I have yet to find one that doesn't interfere even slightly with any of the local stations.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 16, 2010 11:32PM
If your antenna is on the front part of the vehicle, preferably on the fender, your chances of good performance from an FM transmitter are much improved.

Antennas on the rear portion of the vehicle are often vexed by the rear window defogger grind.

I had an original iTrip that worked well, most of the time, depending on where I was. The xmitrs that plug into the lighter for power seem to work better for me than those that don't.

But *if* you consider a plug in, you may as well use a cassette adapter. They're not as convenient, but they're more reliable and the sound is far better than a xmitr. If you car is fairly quiet and you have higher bit-rate files, you'll be able to appreciate the superior sonic quality.

And cassette adapters are much cheaper.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: June 17, 2010 01:53AM
I vote for the cassette adapter. Sound is great. Price is even better. I have not found a bad one, even the cheapos are much better than the best fm transmitter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2010 01:54AM by sekker.
Date: June 17, 2010 06:22AM
Thanks again to everyone. I was just hoping that there was a good, easy cordless way to do this, but I guess realistically there isn't. I think staying with the old cassette adapter will be the best bet. I really wanted to be able to add an aux port, but that isn't possible, with the factory stereo, and it would look bad and cost too much to change it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020