advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Inheriting iPhone 3G
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 20, 2010 11:01AM
My daughter is getting herself an iPhone 4, and is passing her 3G on to me.
I'm already with AT&T, and just renewed with them back in February with a Samsung Impression with an unlimited data plan.

Any advice or thoughts regarding my transition; perhaps from someone who's done something similar?

TIA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Inheriting iPhone 3G
Posted by: modelamac
Date: June 20, 2010 11:24AM
How about a call or visit to ATT?

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 20, 2010 11:42AM
modelamac
How about a call or visit to ATT?
I was thinking that AT&T might not entirely have my best interests in mind; nor would they be likely to advise me of any shortcomings or downsides of the processes involved.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 20, 2010 11:49AM
How much is your current data plan?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2010 11:51AM by Ken Sp..
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 20, 2010 11:57AM
I'm waiting to inherit an iPhone 7GXS. The only downside will be AT&T.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: June 20, 2010 12:01PM
Assuming you're paying $30/month for the Samsung's unlimited plan, I'd just throw the SIM in the iPhone and be done with it since you don't seem interested in talking to AT&T about it.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 20, 2010 12:30PM
If it's an iPhone you want, sell the 3G on eBay and get a new one.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: June 20, 2010 03:48PM
Gareth
Assuming you're paying $30/month for the Samsung's unlimited plan, I'd just throw the SIM in the iPhone and be done with it since you don't seem interested in talking to AT&T about it.

Worth a try. I'd be the initial iTunes registration won't let you get away with it, though.

Deckeda's advice is very good.
Posted by: Doc
Date: June 20, 2010 03:56PM
From what I've heard, swapping the SIM should work at least until AT&T does their next sweep and discovers that your IMEI corresponds to an iPhone.

Ordinarily, at that point they would automatically kick you up to a smart phone data plan, but since you're already on such a plan I suspect that they won't do anything.

'Care to be a Guinea pig?
Posted by: davester
Date: June 20, 2010 07:46PM
It sounds like you have a new 2 year contract with AT&T so you won't be able to upgrade for at least another year. If that is true, then just switch SIMs and use the iPhone is what I'd suggest. You might want to check your data usage to see which of the two data plans you want. A lot of people can get away with the $15/mo one. AT&T will eventually find out that you have an iPhone so it doesn't matter if you talk to them or not.

On the other hand, if you are not currently in contract with AT&T and you are going to stay with them for a couple of years, it would be foolish to stick with the old 3G since the monthly bill you are paying includes much of the cost of a new phone. In that case it makes a lot more sense to spend a little more money and upgrade to a new iPhone (I would suggest the iPhone 4).

Alternatively you could sell the 3G and the Samsung and use the proceeds to buy an iPhone 4.

Whichever of the above you do, check your AT&T account online to see where you are in the upgrade cycle and what they would charge you to upgrade to an iPhone 4.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 20, 2010 08:49PM
He should be fine. The upgrade limitation is only if he wanted to get a subsidized phone.
I'd try the sim card swap and see if it works.

If not, then take it to AT&T

my guess is they may charge you $18 or so for their help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 177
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020