advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
3 Ring Binder recommendations
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 25, 2010 10:13PM
well, here in Georgia the new school year starts in a little over a month. my, my, where does the summer go.

by the end of the school year my son's 3 ring binders are completely disintegrated. we haven't bought the cheapest but we haven't gotten the most expensive either. but i am tired of them falling apart by february. he's in high school, btw.

what brands/lines of 3 ring (2 or 3 inch) binders have you found can take a fair amount of abuse?

If you want to fix our country, work with us in the states. statesproject.org

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 3 Ring Binder recommendations
Posted by: Gareth
Date: June 25, 2010 10:50PM
I don't know if they'd survive high school, but I use almost exclusively Avery D-Ring, single-side easy open binders, 3". They certainly survive my daily use, being transported from office to office, and occasionally traveling in my luggage on planes.

3" Avery® Heavy-Duty View Binder with One Touch™ EZD® Rings
[www.staples.com]
Posted by: Doc
Date: June 25, 2010 11:30PM
I find that the ones with flat angled clips and plastic flaps last longest and anything with round clips dies an early death regardless of whether it's rated for toughness.
Posted by: M>B>
Date: June 25, 2010 11:49PM
From experience I would recommend a "D" ring style binder with a fold over/wrap around cover...

Posted by: lazydays
Date: June 26, 2010 12:13AM
I like to research my purchases but this hits a new level. Researching three ring binders. I say more power to you though. I'll be watching for the answer. :-)
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: June 26, 2010 09:54AM
Binders die in different ways, so what goes first on your son's? In some, it's the rings, and they usually get bent or the spring that is supposed to hold them together so the paper is secure gives out. Other binders have the covers begin to tear. Does he use one large binder for a number of subjects? Or does he use smaller binders for separate subjects?

We are talking a high school kid here, and it's possible that you might be better off to continue to buy the cheap ones and replace them as they die.

I also happen to dislike D ring binders unless a lot of pages go in right away. My experience with D ring binders and just a few sheets is that the paper tears around the holes, and then the binder is fine and the stuff you need to keep contained is either trashed or it falls out and gets lost.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 26, 2010 10:11AM
I've seen ringed binder with metal hinges, but that maybe overkill for this use.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: June 26, 2010 10:31AM
[www.labsafety.com]

Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 26, 2010 11:36AM
AlphaDog
Binders die in different ways, so what goes first on your son's? In some, it's the rings, and they usually get bent or the spring that is supposed to hold them together so the paper is secure gives out. Other binders have the covers begin to tear. Does he use one large binder for a number of subjects? Or does he use smaller binders for separate subjects?

We are talking a high school kid here, and it's possible that you might be better off to continue to buy the cheap ones and replace them as they die.

the rings seem to last. the plastic covers rip off and tear away from the spine. he uses two binders mostly. students are not allowed to go to their lockers except at lunch (if they can squeeze a locker visit in to the 22 minute lunch period) so he carries them around a lot.

i offer to buy new binders mid-year but he gets superstitiously, emotionally attached to them and won't switch out.

really eyeing those metal ones bazookaman. yummm.....

If you want to fix our country, work with us in the states. statesproject.org

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2010 11:36AM by graylocks.
Posted by: Doc
Date: June 26, 2010 12:39PM
graylocks
really eyeing those metal ones bazookaman. yummm.....

I've used those.

The hinges had a tendency to grab small things... like the fine hairs on the backs of my hands and forearms. Which they ripped out.

'Surprising how often I got "bit."
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: June 26, 2010 02:10PM
Tell him that he doesn't have to have extreme piercings like that just to fit in. Just be himself.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 175
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020