advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hanso Foundation ad in today's Chicago Tribune
Posted by: dmann
Date: May 09, 2006 12:43PM
Gotta admit it creeped me out a little bit! It is on page 6 of the front section.

It is in the form of a statement issued by Hugh McIntyre, Director of Communications at the Hanso Foundation. It is entitled "Don't believe 'Bad Twin'" (the book by Gary Troup) and references the Hansofoundation.org website.

Anyone else find this little goodie in the morning paper?

DM

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hanso Foundation ad in today's Chicago Tribune
Posted by: rz
Date: May 09, 2006 12:49PM
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 09, 2006 12:52PM
This is the second thread I remember seeing about Hanso. I have no idea what Hanso is or why it is being discussed here. Can someone enlighten me?

Posted by: Donkey Hotay
Date: May 09, 2006 12:54PM
"Lost"

=DH
Donkey (Ye Olde Farte of ye Internette) Hotay is a Tilted Windmill® enterprise.
Date: May 09, 2006 12:56PM
Yep, the Hanso Foundation is a fictional (or is it?) organization featuring heavily in the storyline for the TV show Lost.

They ran a Hanso commercial during last week's show, but this newspaper ad really surprised me.

DM
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: May 09, 2006 01:13PM
I remember "Alien Nation" the TV series doing the fake TV Commercials, and newspaper ads. One was a long distance ad, the other was a headache relief ad. Both were done in the alien language and font.

BGnR
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 09, 2006 01:21PM
dmann, that's interesting ...

For those who haven't seen these:

[www.thehansofoundation.org]
[en.wikipedia.org]
[lostpedia.com]
[lostpedia.com]
[lostpedia.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: iaJim
Date: May 09, 2006 01:25PM
The Bad Twin was the manuscript that Sawyer was reading, and that Jack threw into the fire. I wonder if he destroyed the "lies" that the Hanso Foundation spoke of.

Clever!
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 09, 2006 01:37PM
iaJim,
I'm glad you pointed that out. I had not remembered that. I'll bet they are really going to leave us hanging in the season finale.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: michaelb
Date: May 09, 2006 01:37PM
Is there a scan of the ad or is it online to see somewhere?
Posted by: Donkey Hotay
Date: May 09, 2006 01:50PM
[thehansofoundation.org]

=DH
Donkey (Ye Olde Farte of ye Internette) Hotay is a Tilted Windmill® enterprise.
Date: May 09, 2006 02:15PM
Another few links you guys might enjoy:

[www.garytroup.net]
[lostpedia.com]
[lostpedia.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2006 02:16PM by PeterB.
Posted by: trisho.
Date: May 09, 2006 03:56PM
Wow, this makes me want to get into "Lost" now. Is the first season on DVD?

trisho.
----------------
Official Card-Carrying Mother Earthin' Sl*t.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 09, 2006 04:20PM
Like some of you say, "Google it if you don't know".

Grateful11
Date: May 09, 2006 04:33PM
For the life of me I can't find the power brick for my scanner- here's the text from the 1/4 page(!) ad:

----------------------------------------------------------
Don't believe "Bad Twin"

For over thirty years, The Hanso Foundation has stood for compassion and innovation, but today, our reputation has been attacked in the novel "Bad Twin," written by Gary Troup and published by Hyperion Books.

Throughout the pages of "Bad Twin," readers have found numerous passages featuring misinformation about The Hanso Foundation and its partners. The Hanso Foundation strongly objects to the book "Bad Twin," and encourages readers to make up their own minds.

The truth about The Hanso Foundation is available at www.TheHansoFoundation.org and not on the pages of Gary Troup's "Bad Twin."

Experience it for yourself

Thank you, and namaste
-----------------------------------------------------

Veeeerrrrryyyyy interesting!
DM

DM
Date: May 09, 2006 05:00PM
DM, that's consistent with this snippet of interview with Gary Troup before he died on Oceanic 815 (taken from one of the links I gave above):

Laird Granger: Your book mentions a lot of real life people, places and institutions.
Gary Troup: Yeah, I try to incorporate real-life stuff into my fiction, um, just gives it a lot more... veracity.
Laird Granger: Like Alvar Hanso, and the Hanso Foundation?
Gary Troup: (looks uncomfortable)... right...
Laird Granger: Did including them have anything to do with your non-fiction writing?
Gary Troup: Absolutely. I wrote a non-fiction book called The Valenzetti Equation
Laird Granger: (interrupting) about the reclusive Princeton University mathematician Enzo Valenzetti and his famous theorem...
Gary Troup: Yes
Laird Granger: At least that's what they say it's about. (shaking head) I have to confess I can't find a copy.
Gary Troup: (nods) Yeah, I know. I mean, first of all it was a small printing, and allegedly, now...
*CLIP ENDS*

Also, if you call the 1-877 Hanso Organization number (I did!) and listen to the various voicemail messages for the execs, if you listen to the one for Hugh McIntyre, amongst his voicemail messages is one from a "Darla" -- tells him of a situation in Sri Lanka and that "this just isn't right". If you listen to the one for Peter Thompson, you get a VERY interesting message...

Date: May 09, 2006 05:06PM
On Peter Thompson's bio on the website, it says he had "...inoperable lung and pancreatic cancer. Thompson's search for a cure landed (deliberate word choice!) him at the Alvar Hanso Cancer Center in Geneva, Switzerland. Following a miraculous recovery..."

DM
Date: May 09, 2006 05:30PM
DM, yeah, I noticed that too.

It's really interesting, isn't it? A story, within a story, within a story, as it were. Some things I find VERY interesting:

1) Gary Troup, author of "Bad Twin" and "The Valenzetti Equation"-- who is apparently openly critiquing the Hanso Foundation in his works-- conveniently manages to die off in a plane crash, a crash that just happens to be on an island containing an installation/project (Dharma) being run by the Hanso Foundation...

2) Troup apparently knew, and was attracted to, Cindy (the stewardess) -- and had made usage of her as a character in "Bad Twin" (it's implied that she was untrustworthy, like her counterpart in real life). Why was he on THIS particular flight? According to the letters, it was to meet with the Aussie publisher... wonder if this was "arranged", so that he would be on the flight when it was downed...

3) That Sawyer has/had a copy of the "Bad Twin" manuscript: the novel pertains to Cliff (and Zander) Widmore, and if that name sounds familiar, it should... because the Widmore Corporation keeps popping up in the series: [lostpedia.com]

Oh, and another interesting link:

[lostpedia.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2006 05:31PM by PeterB.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020