advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
DirecTV question
Posted by: Schpark
Date: May 09, 2006 02:01PM
I am a newbie when it comes to DirecTV but I am sure there is someone knowledgeable on this board to answer my questions.

My father died in February and my mom currently lives alone in a house with 4 DirecTV receivers. Her income has since been reduced and she is looking at reducing costs. Obviously she doesn't need 4 receivers.

I recently learned that the access cards are tied to a specific receiver so she couldn't just move the card when she wanted to move to a different location. Knowing her viewing habits/desires I could get it down to two receivers if I can split the output of one of the boxes to two different TV's in adjacent rooms. If not then it would be three receivers or using rabbit ears in her bedroom.

So can I split the output of one of the boxes to two different TV's? I understand that you would have to go to the room with the receiver to change channels but that would be workable.

Thanks,

Mark
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: DirecTV question
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 09, 2006 02:10PM
As I understand your question, the answer is YES...

You can split the signal from the back of the reciever to the TV to go to two TV's... but you're correct that BOTH TV's will be on the same channel, and that the reciever controls the channel, and you'd have to go into that room to change channels.

I do this between my bedroom and office. Bedroom has the reciever, but I have a TV in my office hooked to it.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: May 09, 2006 02:13PM
Thanks Paul F.!! You described exactly what I am trying to do.
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: May 09, 2006 02:15PM
Yes, I've used an RF setup from the master receiver to the upstairs TV.

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 09, 2006 02:17PM
what channels does she watch? and how much tv does she really watch? Can she get over the air channels?

If she doesn't watch that much you can cancel the satellite and improve over-air-channels (won't work if the OTA is not receivable in her area) which is usually the major networks and local channels. . .

also both cable and satellite have new "family" packages that are very reasonable. ..they include family friendly channels. . .some for kids but some like HGTV or FooD network, etc are fine for adults. . .

I think $12.99-$19.99 a month depending on your provider. . .one of the cheapest plans available

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 09, 2006 02:30PM
Newton,

She likes the History channel, TLC, and Fox Sports North for Twins and Gopher Hockey games so i don't think she would be happy with OTA.

Do you have a link for these $13-$20 DirecTV packages? All I can find is $45 on up.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 09, 2006 02:38PM
Having 4 TVs seems wasteful to me. How many places does one need to watch TV in?
Date: May 09, 2006 02:40PM
Thanks C(-)ris that was extremely helpful. Why does one need 3 cell phones?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2006 02:46PM by Schpark.
Date: May 09, 2006 02:49PM

Dish Network plan includes:

Biography
Bloomberg Television
C-Span2
Headline News
The Weather Channel
C-Span
Fox News Channel
NASA
Boomerang
Nick Toons
Nickelodeon / Nick at Night (West)
TV Land
Hallmark Channel
Nickelodeon / Nick at Night (East)
Nickelodeon Games & Sports
College Sports Television
The Outdoor Channel
Animal Planet
Discovery Times Channel
Food Network
Discovery Kids
Do It Yourself Network
The Science Channel
Great American Country
BYUTV
RFDTV
Eternal Word Television Network Trinity Broadcasting Network Home Shopping Network
QVC
Shop NBC
Shop at Home

Dish Network family plan $19.99

Time Warner plan includes:

• Boomerang
• C-Span 2
• C-Span 3
• CNN Headline News
• Discovery Kids
• Disney Channel
• DIY Network
• FIT TV
• Food Network
• HGTV
• La Familia
• Nick Games & Sports
• The Science Channel
• The Weather Channel
• Toon Disney

Time Warner Family Choice plan $12.99

these are only for the providers that I have. . .I don't think Directtv has a family plan. At least I couldn't find one on their website.

You might call and ask. . .

Date: May 09, 2006 04:16PM
Found the DirecTV link:

[www.directv.com]

TOTAL CHOICE FAMILY gives you entertainment your whole family can enjoy - with over 40 channels including local channels for just $34.99 a month.

To order call 1-800-531-5000 and ask about TOTAL CHOICE FAMILY.

HERE'S THE CHANNEL LINEUP:

Bloomberg Television
Boomerang
BYU TV
C-SPAN
C-SPAN2
Daystar
Discovery Kids
Disney Channel (East)
Disney Channel (West)
DIY Network
EWTN
FitTV
Food Network
Hallmark Channel
Headline News
HITN-TV*»
Home & Garden Television
Home Shopping Network
Link TV
NASA TV
National Geographic Channel
Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite (East)
Nickelodeon/Nick at Nite (West)
Nicktoons Network
Noggin/The N
NRB
ONCE México*
PBS Kids Sprout
QVC
RFD-TV
Shop At Home
ShopNBC
TCT Network
The Church Channel
The Science Channel
The Weather Channel
The Word
Toon Disney
Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN)
World Harvest Television
XM: Radio Disney
XM: XM Kids
Date: May 09, 2006 04:22PM
I couldn't find it on their site. . .

wow. . .why is directv so much more expensive?. . .even basic packages are more. . .hmmm. . .maybe switch to Dish Network?

I would at least give them a look see. . .

Date: May 09, 2006 04:42PM
Schpark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks C(-)ris that was extremely helpful. Why
> does one need 3 cell phones?
>
>
>
> Edited 1 times. Last edit at 05/09/06 02:46PM by
> Schpark.

One would need three cellphones for 3 people in the family, one for each. Why does ONE person living alone need 4 TV sets with 4 dish recievers? I could see 2, one in the bedroom one in the living room...but 4? for one person? No wonder she is having problems making ends meet. Does she have 4 cars too? 4 telephone lines? 4 computers?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2006 04:44PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: Panopticon
Date: May 09, 2006 05:01PM
"...maybe switch to Dish Network?"
DN will be no cheaper than DTV.

Here's the little secret cable providers won't tell you. Most localities require the cable operator to provide a "Limited Basic Service" package as part of the franchise grant (per FCC regulations). You can get non-digital service for $8 - $15 per month. You'll need cable ready equipment as you won't get a 'box'. But, once the cable is in your home, you can split it & run as many TVs/DVRs as you wish. The cable operator will try to up-sale you, telling you "you'll only get local channels, PBS, TNT, & WGN". That's usually pure B-S! Due to the analog bandwidth, you could possibly get 50+ channels. It varies by location, operator, & equipment used (& how lazy their contractors are!).
As an example, Comcast Baltimore has LBS for $9.65 per month. Due to the way they've assigned channels in the lower bandwidth, the package has at least 40 channels including Locals, 3 PBS stations, OLN, all ESPN, Comcast Sports, TNT, TBS, A&E, THC, TLC, Discovery, SciFi, Bravo, WGN, Comedy Central, CNBC, MSNBC, CNN, HLN, TWC,etc.

Yes it's analog, you don't get a cool Digital 'box', & no on-screen guide! But it is only Ten Bucks a month.

Posted by: rgG
Date: May 09, 2006 07:13PM
If you decide to split the signal, I do it for a set in our basement and one upstairs, you can get a little transmitter/receiver set from Radio shack that will allow you put the transmitter near the TV that doesn't have the box so you can send the signal to the box without actually going to the room where the box is. With this set-up you could have one box that supplies three or four sets, they would just all have the same channel playing at the same time.

Here is the link to the extender set. You will need also need one of the transmitters for each TV. The TV with the box gets the receiver. Ours is an older model and works great and that is through two floors and not being directly above the other. This newer one look like it should work even better. Be aware that you will have to hard wire all the tvs to each other to do this and you will need a special for satellite splitter that you can also get at RS. If you go to the local RS they should be able to explain the set-up to you. We have Dish network, but my mom in law has direct TV and feeds three TVs from one box and has the same type extender as we do. HTH

[www.radioshack.com]
[www.radioshack.com]

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Microman
Date: May 09, 2006 08:35PM
I have a cheap analog cable price. Only get the cheap channels thru the cable. But the other more premium stuff is scambled.
Date: May 10, 2006 03:43PM
C(-)ris wrote:

> One would need three cellphones for 3 people in
> the family, one for each. Why does ONE person
> living alone need 4 TV sets with 4 dish recievers?
> I could see 2, one in the bedroom one in the
> living room...but 4? for one person? No wonder she
> is having problems making ends meet. Does she
> have 4 cars too? 4 telephone lines? 4 computers?
>

Your foot is all the way down your throat now isn't it...

If you read my original post you would see that the whole reason of my post was that she doesn't need 4 TV's.

Just as you have a valid explanation about your 3 cell phones there was also once a valid reason for the the 4 TV's. I just chose not to bore everyone with the details. I did mention the recent passing of my father (per you I guess we should have buried a TV with him), I didn't mention that my sister was living with them previously which counts for one. That explains three with the last one in the bedroom. 3 of the four TV's are greater than 15 years old, and worth less than your 3 cell phones. She is also doing fine, she is just paring back on things she doesn't need.

I come here (and previously dealmac) because I know there is a knowledgable group of geniunely helpful people. I don't come here for judgemental people such as yourself. You were not deserving of my explanation but I cut you this break once so you can see the error and insensitivity of your jumping to conclusions and assumptions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2006 04:29PM by Schpark.
Date: May 10, 2006 07:00PM
Everybody makes mistakes. But all we have to go on is what you tell us.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020