advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 
 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
*UPDATE* URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: aquilles10
Date: May 09, 2006 03:09PM
My earlier thread:[forums.macresource.com]

Here is the auction in question:
[cgi.ebay.com]

The guy called my house and left a message stating that wants his money back or a partial refund, but I emailed him:

"I am sorry to hear that you would like a full or partial money refund on the PowerMac you won on eBay. By bidding on the computer you agreed to the terms listed in the eBay listing. In this particular case I stated for the Return Policy:

"This G4 Power Mac is being sold AS IS. There is no warranty offered. It will NOT boot up. The logic board must be repaired or replaced. There is NO warranty offered or implied."

That is part of the fine print in the auction listing. I also never intentionally or unintentionally tried to mislead anyone regarding the condition of the computer. I clearly stated that it was for parts or repair in the title, and that it would not boot up. I also stated in the listing what I was told by my local Apple Store when I took the computer in for repairs. I am not a retailer, just a guy selling a PowerMac that crapped out on my wife.

I cannot issue a refund because I had a clear return policy in the eBay listing stating the computer is as-is, and doing so would make anything written in cleat Return Policy pointless. Again, I am sorry to hear that the computer didn't meet your expectations."



HIS REPLY:
"If that's the way you want to deal with it, then let the game begin. You stated that the machine needed a motherboard to boot. I did, in fact replace the MOBO and it still would not boot. "For Parts or Repair?" I repaired it with Apple's and your diagnosis with no results. Check my history and you'll see that I bought a MOBO specifically for this machine. If you would rather have me file a dispute with paypal, your account will be frozen for however long it takes for them to review the case. In addition, you will not be able to buy or sell anything on ebay.

Just because you listed "sold as as with no warranty", the description also stated that it needed a motherboard. That implies that the machine would work with a working motherboard. The "fine print" you generously pointed out will not hold water with Paypal. The ball's in your court. Last chance. Be smart.
I'll give you an hour to think it over."

This guy sounds threatening and patronzing. Plus is it me, or does he interpret statements however he wants too. What should I do or tell him????



Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2006 06:27PM by aquilles10.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: Donkey Hotay
Date: May 09, 2006 03:23PM
"No warranty offered or implied" covers the processor(s), power supply, drives, screws, nuts, bolts, case, cables, paint, glue, plastic, sheet metal and everything else in the G4. The fact that he
(a) removed the processor(s) and
(b) transferred them to another board
means that he
(1) very likely damaged the processors himself
(2) connected the board to the system incorrectly
(3) found that the system still won't boot and
(4) expects YOU to remedy HIS problem
(5) clearly does not comprehend "no warranty"

His failure to read, comprehend, clarify or otherwise communicate about the (lack of) warranty prior to bidding is his own problem, not yours. The fact that he likely did more damage himself is not your problem.

You may want to file a dispute with eBay regarding this jerk, and start one with Paypal to lock up his account.
(I don't use either "service" enough to know if this is even an option for you).





=DH
Donkey (Ye Olde Farte of ye Internette) Hotay is a Tilted Windmill® enterprise.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: spacescape
Date: May 09, 2006 03:26PM
Yes, contact Paypal and ebay before HE DOES... Paypal "MIGHT" issue him a refund so you better act fast... As-Is = As-Is... What an a**...

Bill
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: May 09, 2006 03:31PM
I read through the auction and it's pretty clear that the machine was going to be DOA, regardless. Just because he couldn't fix it doesn't make you liable.

When I sold my old dual 800 G4 some years back, the buyer couldn't get his monitor to work right with it. It was a firmware issue with the video card. The guy kept insisting over and over I sold him a broken Mac, that he installed all the updates but his monitor wouldn't work. It took about sixteen e-mails for me to educate him on the difference between a software update and a firmware update. After the last e-mail, where I politely but firmly told him he was bordering on harassment and gave him all the links to the firmware updates for the dozenth time, he never contacted me again. FWIW, my eBay feedback remains at 100%.

Regarding the auction though, this is the dark side of ebay dealings. It can get almost scary. I'd have to go with what DH said; this guy didn't read through the entire auction and now he's saying it's your fault. You can take it back and go through the whole shebang again (again, your auction is pretty clear this is a DOA Mac so you're under zero obligation to do so) or prepare yourself for a negative feedback mark and file dispute with eBay and PayPal.

Good luck. Keep us posted.




Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2006 03:32PM by Zoidberg.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: aquilles10
Date: May 09, 2006 03:31PM
Exactly! How do I know he even has a working motherboard to begin with? He conveniently forgets some important facts, like 1. I am not the Apple Store 2. He bought something on ebay with no warranty.

I checked the Paypal dispute resolution page, and it would only cover him if I never sent it, which I have the fed-ex tracking number (I even opened a fed-ex account since he wanted it shipped this way) and what he got was not 'significantly not as described' per the paypal Buyer Complaint Policy.

Now I am wondering if I should do some pre-emptive measures on ebay or paypal since he is being chippy (putting it lightly).



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2006 03:32PM by aquilles10.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 09, 2006 03:31PM
I would see if you can contact someone at eBay and file a notice that you're being "threatened" by a buyer...

And clean out the account you use for PayPal...
I have no doubt that PayPal would take YOUR side, since your terms are 100% clear to anyone with an IQ over 6 (say, the average garden vegetable)... but it might take a few days to resolve if he DID manage to get PayPal to listen to his insane rantings..






Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: May 09, 2006 03:35PM
I wonder if people who buy "this is a picture of an xbox 360" auctions at like $500 do this kind of disputing? I mean -- and this is wholly different from this situation, I know -- the auction is clearly a scam but it's a good example/lesson regarding READ THE WHOLE AUCTION BEFORE YOU BID.

I haven't put stuff up on eBay in a while, but I used to always state at the top in big red block lettering, READ ENTIRE AUCTION BEFORE BIDDING - ITEM SOLD AS-IS - ALL SALES FINAL.

And y'know I've had family members do this. An uncle bought a computer on eBay and when he got it complained upwards 'til doomsday about it not working and all. He sent me a link for the auction page and it very clearly stated that the machine would not boot up and was going to be DOA. Basically the seller was selling it for the case and parts, same as this situation. The seller *suggested* it might just be a case of replacing this or that, but was still selling it as a DOA machine. I understood that within the first read-through of your auction as well.





Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2006 03:43PM by Zoidberg.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 09, 2006 03:50PM
"This G4 Power Mac is being sold AS IS. There is no warranty offered. It will NOT boot up. The logic board must be repaired or replaced. There is NO warranty offered or implied."

I hate to say it, but that language in the middle certainly makes it sound like replacing the logic board will make it work again. I don't think it should have been included in the return policy. If there's a next time, I would eliminate The logic board must be repaired or replaced and simply emphasize that it DOES NOT WORK.



Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: May 09, 2006 04:06PM
I just checked the guy's feedback and it looks like he buys and sells this model. What I would do is take screen shots of the G4s he's sold which clearly show that he's including Microsoft Office with the deal and threaten to turn him into the BSA and Microsoft unless he backs off.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: May 09, 2006 04:08PM
NO warranty offered or implied is pretty clear cut to me.



Aloha, Ken


“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: Greg the dogsitter
Date: May 09, 2006 04:11PM
aquilles10 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "This G4 Power Mac is being sold AS IS. There is
> no warranty offered. It will NOT boot up. The
> logic board must be repaired or replaced. There is
> NO warranty offered or implied."

I'm going with $tevie on this one.

I think the only way to reasonably reconcile the last two sentences is:
1 - It will work if the logic board is repaired/replaced.
2 - Other than that, no warranty.

GtDS

P.S. I'd also change my phone number.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2006 04:14PM by Greg the dogsitter.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: aquilles10
Date: May 09, 2006 04:31PM
Well, the logic must be repaired or replaced. This was a given, but there could be other variables into getting it to work as well, like the processors and such. Just because the logic board must be replaced does not mean that was exclusive to getting it to work.

Also, a coworker suggested I offer to refund him the listing fees, and final value fees plus $5 for the next lowest bidder, so that he can ebay the computer himself. Hmmmmm......



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2006 04:33PM by aquilles10.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: MysteryGuest
Date: May 09, 2006 04:33PM
I feel for you. Dark side of eBay, indeed.

Wonder if there's a way to link auctions with an IQ test: "Don't bid if you can't get at least double digits..."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: Greg the dogsitter
Date: May 09, 2006 04:37PM
aquilles10 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, the logic must be repaired or replaced. This
> was a given, but there could be variables into
> getting it to work as well, like the processors
> and such. Just because the logic board must be
> replaced does not mean that was exclusive to
> getting it to work.

Respectfully, I don't think that's a reasonable way of interpreting what you wrote. That the logic board was singled out as requiring replacement implies that replacing the logic board will result in a working computer. Otherwise, I'd write, "I'm guessing the logic board is at fault, but it could be any number of components, as well."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: aquilles10
Date: May 09, 2006 04:41PM
Greg the dogsitter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> aquilles10 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Well, the logic must be repaired or replaced.
> This
> > was a given, but there could be variables
> into
> > getting it to work as well, like the
> processors
> > and such. Just because the logic board must
> be
> > replaced does not mean that was exclusive to
> > getting it to work.
>
> Respectfully, I don't think that's a reasonable
> way of interpreting what you wrote. That the logic
> board was singled out as requiring replacement
> implies that replacing the logic board will result
> in a working computer. Otherwise, I'd write, "I'm
> guessing the logic board is at fault, but it could
> be any number of components, as well."


I guess we're getting into Clintonian territory here, but I didn't state "The logic board must be replaced, and they computer will be as good as new!". I simply restated what the Apple Store "Genius" told me, which is that the logic board is bad and needs to be replaced.





Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2006 04:42PM by aquilles10.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: Greg the dogsitter
Date: May 09, 2006 04:46PM
aquilles10 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess we're getting into Clintonian territor
> here, but I didn't state "The logic board must be
> replaced, and they computer will be as good as
> new!". I simply restated what the Apple Store
> "Genius" told me.

I don't know what you didn't say, and I'm not responding to the Genius.

I'm just responding to the quote in the first post. You singled out the logic board, and only the logic board, as requiring replacement.

If someone says "car for sale, needs new engine," then I'll assume that the car is otherwise in running condition, aside from the engine. If it turns out the car has broken windows and needs new tires, then I would say that the ad (even unintentionally) misrepresented the true condition of the vehicle.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: mick e
Date: May 09, 2006 04:48PM
Relying on an Apple Store Genius is, well... you know.

Anyhoo. The lesson here would be if you ever sell a DOA unit of any type, the LESS you offer up the better. Channel Sergeant Schultz when you write that description.

"This item just stopped working one day. As far as WHY it stopped working... I KNOW NOSSING!!"







Unpaid Social Liaison
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 09, 2006 05:02PM
My point was that the logic board information should not have been in the Return Policy. In my mind, the information about replacing the board has been inextricably linked to the return policy. And I don't considered myself to be a whacko or a moron. Although some might argue with that.



Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: May 09, 2006 05:07PM
I wouldn't worry about it. Really.
The buyer just hopes to threaten you into a refund, which you do not have to do. You sold a non-working item described as such, as-is. You stated it needed a new logic board, but made no claim that was all it required.

Don't let the eBay bidder maniacs wreck your day. Fortunately, a quick click of Mail's delete button solves the problem.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2006 05:09PM by Psurfer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: May 09, 2006 05:10PM
Greg the dogsitter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> aquilles10 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I guess we're getting into Clintonian
> territor
> > here, but I didn't state "The logic board
> must be
> > replaced, and they computer will be as good
> as
> > new!". I simply restated what the Apple
> Store
> > "Genius" told me.
>
> I don't know what you didn't say, and I'm not
> responding to the Genius.
>
> I'm just responding to the quote in the first
> post. You singled out the logic board, and only
> the logic board, as requiring replacement.
>
> If someone says "car for sale, needs new engine,"
> then I'll assume that the car is otherwise in
> running condition, aside from the engine. If it
> turns out the car has broken windows and needs new
> tires, then I would say that the ad (even
> unintentionally) misrepresented the true condition
> of the vehicle.


I think your missing the point here Greg, that is, the unit was listed and sold as being a NON-WORKING computer.


This is the title from the auction page:

"Apple Mac Powermac MDD G4 Dual 867 for parts / repair
Good power supply, combo drive, video card, RAM, case"


You will notice that the mobo and processor are not in the list of "Good" items.





Aloha, Ken


“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: aquilles10
Date: May 09, 2006 05:12PM
Psurfer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wouldn't worry about it. Really.
> The buyer just hopes to threaten you into a
> refund, which you do not have to do. You sold a
> non-working item described as such, as-is. You
> stated it needed a new logic board, but made no
> claim that was all it required.
>
> Don't let the eBay bidder maniacs wreck your day.
> Fortunately, a quick click of Mail's delete button
> solves the problem.
>
>
>
> Edited 1 times. Last edit at 05/09/06 05:09PM by
> Psurfer.

Psurfer-

Thanks for the kind words. He did file a paypal complaint, and some funds I had were frozen. :-(

I made my side of the case in the dispute resolution, and I think I am in the right. He thinks I maliciously decieved him, which is not the case. I will let the paypal investigation run its course, but he himself stated in the paypal complaint, that he swapped out parts.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 09, 2006 05:16PM
you are so in the clear from my point of view.

I would even go so far as to say that since Apple or an Apple Authorized Service center didn't do the work, then any argument on his case is moot. And who is to say the mobo he bought off of ebay is any good anyway?

He is just angry at himself, and wants you to make him feel better by bending over and taking it in the rear after he bullies you for a while.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: d0e
Date: May 09, 2006 05:33PM
you should have no problems with this it's clear the machine was dead , but why the hell does he have your phone number.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 09, 2006 05:41PM
I thought that if you got someone's contact info from ebay, that they warned you.

At this point, since he has filed with ebay, if he contacts you again, tell him that until the matter is settled with ebay, that any further contact other than withdrawing the complaint, will be considered harrasment.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2006 05:44PM by Racer X.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 09, 2006 05:43PM
He got the phone number through eBay.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: aquilles10
Date: May 09, 2006 05:45PM
One of the lessons is to NEVER put your real phone number in the contact information. If I had known any loon can get it, I would have put a bogus one like a just changed mine too.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: tenders
Date: May 09, 2006 06:02PM
You have tons, and tons, and tons, of case history on your side. "As is" is a legally loaded phrase meaning that once an individual freely gives you money for the item, that individual freely assumes all risk associated with it, except any fraudulent representation you have made about it. You certainly did not guarantee that a logic board and only a logic board would restore the computer to working order.

You offered it in nonworking condition, for parts, and "as is." You explained your troubleshooting, at what point and why you gave up on it, and offered to answer any questions a prospective buyer had. There is no unique information in the returns policy, and even if there were it was there for any bidder to read.

The car-with-broken-windows analogy fails to convince me. Anyone can tell when a car has broken windows. Troubleshooting computer hardware is a different matter altogether.

The buyer MIGHT have a case against you if one of the parts you said was working was demonstrated not to work. But that isn't the case here.

I think you are totally in the right.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: aquilles10
Date: May 09, 2006 06:17PM
My last response to him (before I knew that he had filed a complaint on PayPal):

"Steven-

I am sorry you were unable to remedy the non-working machine you purchased from me. While I cannot offer you a full refund because I feel I have been upfront about everything I was aware of, I can  offer you a partial refund. The partial refund would include $15.25 for you to relist the computer on eBay for two different categories, plus $11.50 for the final value fee for the auction, plus $5.00, which is the difference beween your bid, and the second highest bid. This totals out to $26.85.

It is unfortunate the situation has come to this. That being said, I feel that I sold you exactly what was listed in the eBay ad. If you read the ad again you will see I never gave any final diagnostic, nor did I ever give any guarantee of a solution. Along with many other factors (with all due respect) there is the possibility that in the process of repair you may have damaged the computer. I am trying to be as fair as I can about this. Please let me know your position, and I will respond accordingly. Thank you."

HIS LATEST RESPONSE:

"No dice dude. I repair these machines on a regular
basis and I have seen my share of non-repairable
machines. I don't "damage" computers, I rebuild them
and re-sell them. Check my feedback. Do you really
think I'm going to intentially or accidentally damage
a $400 machine? Get a clue. I've been building macs
for over 5 years and I will not lay over for your
measley offer of $26.85. Let's let the cards fall
where they may. And just for the record, I've won the
last 4 out of 4 disputes with sellers like you. You're
pushing junk. This was a bad deal from the get go. Do
you really think the bidding would have gone as if the
Apple store diagnosed it as a bad motherboard? Do you
remember our conversation over the phone? All
indications pointed to the motherboard. You said it
yourself.

I'm not sorry this transaction came to this. I gave
you fair warning and even suggested a more reasonable
partial refund. I normally don't don't even give
sellers a chance to do that. I don't play games when
it comes to the best machines made in the World.

Good luck--you're going to need it."

When he mentions about the conversation on the phone, he means when he called me the day of the auction and told me not to ship it via USPS. Just for this guy, I opened a Fed-Ex account and sent it Fed-Ex. I told him that from what I knew that it was indeed the motherboard that had crapped out. Should I tell him at this point to cease and desist with contact with me until the paypal investigation is finished?

Also, did anyone else noticed that he has a picture of the dock from the computers he sells with MS Office on the dock, and "What you see in the dock is what you get" in the description (with no mention of a licence of MS Office anywhere? )

[cgi.ebay.com]



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2006 06:23PM by aquilles10.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: h'
Date: May 09, 2006 06:36PM
I wouldn't have mentioned the motherboard, but--
No further responses to this guy. He delights in screwing others. Fight the good fight with Paypal but give this as little additional thought as you can.



I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: *UPDATE* URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 09, 2006 06:58PM
That email makes him sound like a real horse's ass. I hope you are able to resolve this to your satisfaction. And I agree with the others, don't communicate with him any further.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: *UPDATE* URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 09, 2006 07:33PM
I'd be making a nice long PDF out of all your correspondence, and add it to your email to PayPal.

And yes, horses ass describes him pretty well...







Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: *UPDATE* URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: Baby Tats
Date: May 09, 2006 07:48PM
I would ask him to present his certificate as an Apple Certified Service Technician. If he doesn't have one, I would make the argument that he damaged the computer/processor while attempting to repair it. Say by EM discharge.

I would also get screenshots of his autions and ask him to to explain the MS Office thing. "No restore discs or software included. What you see in the dock is what you get." Then why is office in the dock?

If he wants to play hardball, I would brush him back from the plate. You will win the dispute.

BT
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: *UPDATE* URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 09, 2006 08:28PM
Did you notice his return policy on the auction you linked?

"Item is sold "As Is". Machine is in great working and cosmetic shape. You will not be disappointed with this machine! Item will be shippped via FedEx ground insured. Item will be shipped BULLETPROOF. If you receive this machine DOA, it is from shipping and you will have to file a claim with the carrier."

This guy wants to make his problems the responsibility of other people. That's what he does to his customers and that's what he's trying to do to you. Blow him off.

I really like the MS Office idea. He deserves to be called by those folks!



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2006 08:29PM by Michael.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: *UPDATE* URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: aquilles10
Date: May 09, 2006 08:35PM
This guy is such an a$$ that I am considering bring it up to ebay or the BSA. Does this make me petty?

He is so arrogant, and rude that maybe he has that coming to him.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: *UPDATE* URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: May 09, 2006 08:39PM
Yes, report the MS Office thing to Ebay. Don't they have a policy against selling bootleg software? Not that they police the auctions that closely, but if you bring it to their attention, they should take some sort of action. It certainly can't help the other guy.

EDIT: And get those screenshots of his auctions fast before he yanks them. Or save them as web archives. If he sees you're going to fight back, he may realize you can use that against him.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2006 08:48PM by Mike Sellers.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: Greg the dogsitter
Date: May 09, 2006 08:40PM
Harbourmaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think your missing the point here Greg, that is,
> the unit was listed and sold as being a
> NON-WORKING computer.

The point, as I understand it, is what your average person (maybe not your average eBay-er) would understand from the line about the logic board. To me, saying that the logic board requires replacement is only appropriate if such replacement results in a working computer. Otherwise, "the logic board, along with other parts, needs to be replaced."

GtDS
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: *UPDATE* URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: Greg the dogsitter
Date: May 09, 2006 08:41PM
...alternatively, just escalate this thing into the stratosphere.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: *UPDATE* URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: richorlin
Date: May 09, 2006 09:48PM
Any way you interpret this, you are going to have a problem with this major @#$%&wipe. However, in the grand scheme of things, we're only talking about $368. Paypal isn't going to freeze your account and neither is eBay. Paypay will freeze only the amount in question.

This dipsute can go ether way depending on how the dispute resolution folks at Paypal interpret your auction description. I would back up your reply with all the documentation you have on hand.

I would also report him to eBay over the MS Office thing.

Good luck
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: *UPDATE* URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 10, 2006 12:26AM
"as-is" means "as-is". Which means you get what you get...a non working Mac.



C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: *UPDATE* URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: May 10, 2006 12:35AM
If you want to wipe your hands clean of it, you might file a FedEx claim if he still has all of the packaging. You might be suprised. Though I agree with most everyone else in that you are in the right and should have nothing to worry about. Good luck and keep us posted.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: *UPDATE* URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 10, 2006 12:41AM
Here is where you can go to ban this guy from bidding on your auctions:

[offer.ebay.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: *UPDATE* URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: May 10, 2006 12:49AM
He currently has five items listed, report them all.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: *UPDATE* URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: May 10, 2006 07:24AM
Now he has seven Quicksilvers listed, all showing Microsoft Office, Toast and the latest version of OS X. Heck, I'll bet even Apple would be interested to know if he's bought licenses for all those computers.

Maybe get screenshots of all the auctions and send him a polite notice that you're prepared to turn him in unless he drops the matter now and leaves you positive feedback to boot. Maybe end with "Good luck, you're going to need it."

EDIT: AN article to share with him:
[www.bsa.org]





Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2006 07:30AM by Mike Sellers.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: *UPDATE* URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: Greg the dogsitter
Date: May 10, 2006 07:26AM
C(-)ris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "as-is" means "as-is". Which means you get what
> you get...a non working Mac.

The consensus here - which I still can't relate to - is that the words "The logic board must be repaired or replaced" don't make any sort of claim.

"Logic board must be replaced" is a far cry from "Logic board, and other parts, must be replaced" or "logic board might need replacement." The text from the ad tells me that this is a broken machine, there's no warranty, and the logic board must be replaced for it to work. Otherwise, why would I think it's being mentioned?

People who disagree with me (and there's a lot of 'em!) seem to say that "logic board must be replaced" should not be given any weight whatsoever. This, I think, would be an unfair burden to place on the buyer. If eBay operates on the idea of caveat emptor, fine. But, if a logic board replacement didn't solve the problem, I'd say the description wasn't fully accurate.

GtDS
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: *UPDATE* URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: May 10, 2006 07:40AM
Greg, I think you do have a point. The wording and intent IS ambiguous. I think what we're reacting to is the guy's arrogant attitude and the fact that his own record is far from pristine considering he's bootlegging software. For him to try to claim some ethical high ground is silly.

Maybe the solution is for acquilles to pay for return shipping, get the computer back and then report the guy to Ebay and the BSA. The other guy will think he's won yet again and won't be able to retaliate since he won't have proof of who turned him in.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: *UPDATE* URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: aquilles10
Date: May 10, 2006 09:06AM
I never intended to rip anyone off with this auction. I listed what was told to me period. That's all I can do. I don't know what a dead motherboard or a fried processor looks like. What this weasel did is interpret the facts the way he wanted , even stating in his claim that I SAID the computer would work with a working motherboard (which I never said). Oh, and this is in the conversation (creepy) AFTER he won the auction.

GTD, I can respect your opinion, but I disagree. There is no way I could know anything else was broken, because it was a 60lb paperweight to me by then. It would not boot up at all. How would I know that anything else was wrong? I don;t have them time to dis-assemble the machine and check omponent by component by component.The video card worked because I used it in my MDD. The combo drive worked, because it still ejected while the machine was toast, thats an assumption though. The powersupply worked, because all the fans came on when you turned on the machine. The motherboard or anything elese was in doubt since I am not a technician or a hobbyist, like this guy is. All I know is that until the day it crapped out is that it was a fine machine. Hindsight is 20/20 and I wish I just left my return policy to AS-IS and never mentioned the motherboard.

Oh and I've bought stuff on ebay that wasn't what I thought it was. Granted it wasn't $360 (more like $80), but guess, what? I sold it a few days later on ebay for almost the same price.

Now, if this guy had a better attitude and was not such a prick we COULD HAVE worked out something. But he's been rude, arrogant, smug, a bully, and a whiny little girl. Screw him! I'll let paypal sort this out. But either way, I won't roll over for this guy.

P.S. He wanted a partial refund of $225. The case for an MDD goes for $100, and the power supply goes for the same. Is this guy kidding me?!



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2006 09:11AM by aquilles10.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: *UPDATE* URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 10, 2006 10:46AM
I agree that the buyer seems rude, arrogant, smug and a bully. I don't know about that little girl crack, but oh well.

However, I still agree with Greg about the wording. I think the lesson here is to not editorialize or speculate in the Return Policy. In the auction description, okay I guess, but you should never have stated that the item needed a new logic board in the Return Policy. If for no other reason than it probably attracted this guy because he could see its potential to screw you over.



Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: *UPDATE* URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: MysteryGuest
Date: May 10, 2006 10:47AM
I definitely wouldn't take the computer back after this character finished screwing around with it. People like this usually know a lot less than they claim.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: *UPDATE* URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: May 10, 2006 01:02PM
So where do I go to make sure my phone number isn't listed in my e-bay profile? Or has you actually added it specifically to the auction, aquilles10?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: *UPDATE* URGENT HELP! I now have a full fledged ebay dispute on my hands! And the guy is wacky!!!
Posted by: aquilles10
Date: May 10, 2006 01:07PM
I would never, ever specify a phone number in the auction. It's in your account preferences. You have to put a telephone number for your main contact. I changed it to a bogus one.

Also, if anything else comes out of this, make sure all your purchase with Paypal are with a credit card and not your checking or savings account. Paypal plays by their own rules. You need to protect yourself as much as you can when dealing with them and your finances.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 64
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020