Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: Weber versus Vermont Casting Gas Grill
Posted by: spacescape
Date: May 09, 2006 03:52PM
Here is the previous Grill Thread... [forums.macresource.com]

Ok, I got my parents, sister, aunt & wife to give me $$$$$$ for my birthday to put towards my grill... I am pretty much set on getting a Weber Genesis Gold or Silver C because I think I want the side burner... I'm considering looking at the B model because I'm not sure if the side burner has enough BTU's...

A coworker of mine along w/ a local home/garden store are telling me to look at Vermont Casting... Oh and 1-2 of you mentioned it as well...

Between these two brands, anyone have any additional comments? The vermont casting is a little out of my price range... So, I'm still leaning towards the Weber... But, want to know if I should consider stretching my dollar...

Oh, and maybe I should just replace my burner on my charbroil and pick up a weber charcoal grill... smiling smiley

Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2006 01:38PM by spacescape.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: Weber versus Vermont Casting BBQ Grill
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: May 09, 2006 04:51PM
If there's something else you could see spending the money on, I'd just fix the old grill. $600 buys a lot of steaks and chops, you know?

There are "universal" burner kits that can probably be had for pocket change on eBay, and if you don't want to replace the ignitor button, long-handled lighters last years for about $1.99... You don't need to buy a new tank either, just exchange your old rusty one at Home Depot at their "Propane Tank Exchange", which is priced about the same as re-filling one at a station. Actually, check your local paper; someone's always selling a used or sometime hardly used- basic gas grill for $30-50.

I have one of the old red lid Weber C mdls (bought cheap ~10yrs ago used from an ad in the classifieds). I like it, but usually could cook just as well on a cheapy 2-burner no-name... The side burner is basically like one on the gas stove in the kitchen. -But on mine, it's not adjusted too well, so it can leave a black residue on the bottom of pans, esp when side burner is set to low.
I'm also lighting it these days w/a long-handled Scripto, so don't feel bad.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 09, 2006 05:12PM
My $25 Coleman Grill (rebranded Sunbeam) was 2 years old and hardly used when I got it from Craigslist. Had a 3/4 full tank with it, so it was effectively about $15 for the grill.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: May 09, 2006 05:40PM
Recycling is never bad, but if the Vermont Castings is over your budget, go with the Weber. My husband got the Genesis Silver a number of years ago, and he was thrilled with it. Unfortunately the Weber outlasted him, and I really miss those cookouts. I seriously doubt you'll ever wish you'd spent more money on the Vermont Castings, because you won't be unhappy with the Weber.

However! Even though hubby turned out some great stuff on his Weber, I don't think anything can possibly compare with the flavor of food cooked over charcoal.

Whatever you decide, just invite me over for dinner! Please. smiling smiley
Date: May 09, 2006 06:04PM
It's time for a new grill... Yes, I can get a oil can at the shop and have one of our welders make some really nice legs on it... But, I really just want a nice grill... Do I need it? NO... Do I want it? Yes...

I was at Home Depot on my way home and saw a Silver C version of the Weber and think it might be too big... So, the Silver or Gold B is more of what I need or want... They also had a nice Vermont Castings @ 36,000 BTU that was a nice size as well for about $388.00... They also have NO PAYMENTS and 0% until January 2008...

The Weber Genesis Silver B was $499...
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 09, 2006 08:40PM
Costco grill? I really like mine and it was substantially less than the Weber from Home Depot.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: May 09, 2006 09:09PM
I have been pleased with the Vermont Castings. Paid about $400 with tank and tax. Cooks great, cleans up great, I can even hose the whole thing out and it starts right up. 2 years and looks like new after a wash.

Jon

"he is going to start WW3!!!!"
Posted by: Maddog
Date: May 09, 2006 09:44PM
I would just say that either is probably good, and I have a Weber, works great. Light it with the long lighter just like everyone else in the world. I recommend that you get the one with cast iron grates. Very easy to clean and they are ideal for the kind of greasy cooking that you usually do on the grill. They just keep getting better with more use as well.
Posted by: bangman
Date: May 09, 2006 09:55PM
Weber are crazy overrated. I got and love Char-Broil. They rock.

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: May 10, 2006 08:59AM
The genesis is a Gas Grill. No BBQ associated with it. (title)

I get the same shiver when I see Mac PC.

You can learn yourself some BBQ stuff here:

[www.rbjb.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2006 09:00AM by SteveJobs.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 10, 2006 11:08AM
Traeger
Never burn your food again and you can pick your favorite wood flavors for smoking. Alder is my favorite so far. The pic below is the one I have but they also have some less expensive units, plus they usually go for a little below retail.

[www.traegerindustries.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2006 11:08AM by davemchine.
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: May 11, 2006 07:00AM
like i said in an earlier post, I found the only traeger dealer this weekend near me and went for a demo.

Plus, they rent them for $25 a day.

Date: May 11, 2006 07:44AM
SteveJobs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> like i said in an earlier post, I found the only
> traeger dealer this weekend near me and went for a
> demo.
>
> Plus, they rent them for $25 a day.

Well, Traeger's look good and get great reviews... But... I do not seem to have a dealer closer to me than Missouri to actually look at them. Also, are they Gas? or Pellets? I will call them today to send me a catalog and see if there is a dealer near Detroit.

Thanks!
Bill
Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 11, 2006 12:27PM
The treager is pellets. If you don't have a dealer reasonably close you would have to stock a fair amount of pellets. It might not be convenient for you.

The treager has a few advantages. 1) it is basically a big convection oven so you cannot burn your food as there is no direct flame. 2) there are lots of different wood pellets and they make a dramatic difference in how the food tastes.

My mother spent $600 on a propane grill from fred meyers (I think) so it is quite nice but she says she wishes she had gotten the smaller treager for $600. She's had a chance to try food on both frequently.

Dave
Date: May 13, 2006 10:07AM
There doesn't seem to be a treager dealer in my area. So, I'm strongly considering a Weber Genesis Gold C, Weber Genesis Silver B or C or one of the Home Depot Vermont Casting. My main problem is that I'm trying to figure out "IF" I want a side burner or not...

Bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 208
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020