advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Haven't seen a lot of iPhone 4 reviews here....
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: July 12, 2010 07:28PM
You've almost had a month to use it, so how do you like your new phone?

Is the reception/death grip really an issue?

Does the battery last longer?

Is the screen really that good?

Does the new processor make it feel faster?

Is the two sided glass design a good thing/bad thing? Form over function?

Bryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2010 07:28PM by Grumpyguy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Haven't seen a lot of iPhone 4 reviews here....
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 12, 2010 07:37PM
Its awesome.

No.

Probably.

Yes.

Yes.

Good thing.

Posted by: sekker
Date: July 12, 2010 07:49PM
mattkime
Its awesome.

No.

Probably.

Yes.

Yes.

Good thing.

I agree except battery life is definitely better.
Posted by: Trouble
Date: July 12, 2010 07:51PM
Grumpyguy
You've almost had a month to use it, so how do you like your new phone?

Love it. Love it. Love it.

Grumpyguy

Not for me

Grumpyguy

Yes.

Grumpyguy

Yes. It is like looking at a magazine. No matter the zoom.

Grumpyguy

Much.

Grumpyguy

Love it. Can't tell by feel which side is which and if it is upside down or not. I have a case on it but I never had a problem with the reception without the case.

Can't wait to JB it.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 12, 2010 07:54PM
Like it

Yes, it really is (at least for me), I will be getting a case though, and that should help

Noticeably yes

Yes

Yes

Yes, and it gives it a "weightiness" that is surprisingly nice, feels like a solid piece of engineering... wouldn't want to put it in your pocket, etc....

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: July 12, 2010 08:03PM
My results mirror what Trouble said
Posted by: kap
Date: July 12, 2010 08:16PM
Here is why:
[shopping.yahoo.com]

I just find it's hard to believe that Apple did not test drive its iPhone functionalities before unleashing it on the public.

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2010 08:16PM by kap.
Posted by: Dakota
Date: July 12, 2010 08:29PM
kap
Here is why:
[shopping.yahoo.com]

I just find it's hard to believe that Apple did not test drive its iPhone functionalities before unleashing it on the public.

May be they forgot they are actually selling a phone.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 12, 2010 08:43PM
Dakota
kap
Here is why:
[shopping.yahoo.com]

May be they forgot they are actually selling a phone.

Buy a case or use duct tape and all is well!
Posted by: decay
Date: July 12, 2010 08:50PM
has anyone here heard about the FREE microcell from AT&T?

[www.intomobile.com]

[gizmodo.com]

---
Date: July 12, 2010 08:52PM
decay
has anyone here heard about the FREE microcell from AT&T?

[www.intomobile.com]

[gizmodo.com]

yeah, the general consensus is that we're not interested in paying AT&T for the privilege of expanding their network.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 12, 2010 09:06PM
I love mine.

I've had no trouble at all.

The battery seems to last way longer.

My photos look professional on the screen. LOL.

It feels incredibly fast but I was coming from a first generation 4 gigger.

I loved the metal back on my old iPhone but I've come to love the glass design as I get to know it better.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 12, 2010 09:10PM
They really need to give my folks one of those [femtocells} + waive the monthly fee. They've been with AT&T since it was BellSouth/Cingular. Back then, and for a while after it became AT&T reception at their house was fine.

But in the last couple of years reception is awful. The phones will ring but the signal is so weak it's garbled. Dialing out isn't an option usually. And this is with other phones, too. Nokia, Samsung, an old iPhone, a Sony, you name it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2010 09:10PM by deckeda.
Posted by: macisgr8
Date: July 12, 2010 09:15PM
I saw the story and called ATT. I think I was talking to India but managed to get the customer service person to surf to Macresource.com and read the article.
He said he didn't know about it but brought it to his managers attention.

According to him, this is not an official ATT program and they had no info on it other than the same story we all have read.
So no free microcell for me (yet) but I did get $50 off my current bill…so I got that going for me…which is nice.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 12, 2010 09:16PM
Love it. A big step up from a 3G.

Two issues: reception - temporary fix with scotch tape on both sides. No one has noticed it. Second is an occasional glitch with the proximity sensor. I accidentally put someone on mute today when my ear hit the mute icon.

Battery lasts a lot longer. Even with apps running in the background.

Screen is excellent. Much better than the previous versions.

The new processor is very fast. A noticeable speed increase from the 3G.

I like the new form factor. It's not uncomfortable to hold. Slips in and out of the pocket easily. It takes a bit of time to know which side is front without looking at it.

The camera and video functions are a big jump in quality. It's too bad that there isn't some type of image stabilization, as the video quality is surprisingly good otherwise.

From an OS perspective, 4 is a nice improvement over the previous versions. The mail app is much improved. Not only are messages listed individually, they are also threaded. The latest email has a small block with a number showing the number of emails in the thread. Click on that email and you go to another window that shows the list of emails in the thread. This has been helpful many times already. The downside is that to see emails in folders, you have to back out of an individual inbox and go down to the list of accounts and select an account, then you see the folders associated with an account.

Not sure how voice control worked on the 3GS, but it works very well on the 4G. There is no learning curve and I've only had a few issues. To be honest, most of them where with names that are pronounced differently than one would expect. When my iPhone is synced with my Parrot Bluetooth adapter in my car, activating voice control works over the bluetooth system. IMO, the iPhone voice control is probably the best out there.

Posted by: testcase
Date: July 12, 2010 09:41PM
"You've almost had a month to use it" ????? Today is day 18.

Screen is beautiful.

Battery seems a little bit better. Still nowhere close to the battery life in my Palm Treo 650.

WHEN IT LOADS, it is noticably faster than the 3G it replaced BUT, I can try to load a page in Safari, place phone on a table and, it can be dog slow in loading said page even though I'm showing 5 bars of signal strength. Yes, I believe that holding onto the phone "normally" can have an adverse effect on signal reception.

I just had an old issue occur. I placed a phone call and, the screen stayed in "active" mode. My ear brushed against the "Mute" and, the person I was speaking to of course could no longer hear me and he hung up. When I recalled him, the screen dimmed as it is supposed to do and, I was able to complete my call.

I do think the glass screen will be more durable and less scratch prone than earlier models.

I'm really looking forward to the first software update.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 12, 2010 10:22PM
Seems very nice, except...

I have significant reception issues that have nothing to do with the band and squeezing. It doesn't matter how I hold it or if it's in a case or not. It plain doesn't work near my office whereas my 3GS worked fine.

Battery life seems about the same.

The screen is amazing.

Feels a little snappier

I had my old one in a case and the new one is in a case so it doesn't matter. I do like that it is much slimmer. The old one always felt a bit clunky. The new one is svelte.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: stephen
Date: July 12, 2010 10:33PM
-Not at all.

-Yes.

-Yes.

-Much.

-I find it more grippable and balanced.
Posted by: haikuman
Date: July 12, 2010 10:46PM
[shopping.yahoo.com]

There is bad news and good news: Why Consumer Reports can't recommend iPhone 4

The iPhone scored high, in part because it sports the sharpest display and best video camera we've seen on any phone, and even outshines its high-scoring predecessors with improved battery life and such new features as a front-facing camera for video chats and a built-in gyroscope that turns the phone into a super-responsive game controller. But Apple needs to come up with a permanent—and free—fix for the antenna problem before we can recommend the iPhone 4.

If you want an iPhone that works well without a masking-tape fix, we continue to recommend an older model, the 3G S.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 12, 2010 10:54PM
I "get" that the thing should work correctly without having to resort to a workaround (taping over the gap or using a sleeve) but to outright suggest the older phone is overall a better device is seriously missing the forest for the trees. What boneheads.
Date: July 12, 2010 11:08PM
deckeda
I "get" that the thing should work correctly without having to resort to a workaround (taping over the gap or using a sleeve) but to outright suggest the older phone is overall a better device is seriously missing the forest for the trees. What boneheads.

CR said more and less than what you are stating deckeda *(:>* gosh ~!~rolleyes smiley

"The iPhone scored high, in part because it sports the sharpest display and best video camera we've seen on any phone, and even outshines its high-scoring predecessors with improved battery life and such new features as a front-facing camera for video chats and a built-in gyroscope that turns the phone into a super-responsive game controller. But Apple needs to come up with a permanent—and free—fix for the antenna problem before we can recommend the iPhone 4.

If you want an iPhone that works well without a masking-tape fix, we continue to recommend an older model, the 3G S."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2010 11:09PM by haikuman.
Posted by: dochocson
Date: July 12, 2010 11:10PM
Phone is great, no reception problems.

Battery definitely has longer life. Played a round of golf on Saturday using the View Ti Golf GPS app. 4.5 hour round, battery barely down to half.

Camera is great as well.
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: July 13, 2010 01:24AM
Phone is awesome (day 20)!

Battery life is much improved even taking OS 4 multitasking into consideration.

I have better reception with 4 than the 3GS, though that's with the bumper on.

Glass front is no better than prior 3GS. Son's iphone 4 already has minor hairline scratches. We ordered some screen protectors from eBay.

While I love the slimmer form factor, I'm NOT a fan of the glass back. Makes it difficult to get the correct orientation when pulling the phone out of the pocket.

Coming from a 3GS, the increased speed is barely noticeable and is not significant.

Camera / Video camera quality is much improved.

LED flash is useful for photos in dark light and as a flashlight!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 13, 2010 07:07AM
I don't have an i4 yet, but I put my phone in my pocket the same way every time. The Home button reminds me which way the phone is facing.

When I take it out of my pocket, it's facing the way I want. I expect the i4 will be no different.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 13, 2010 09:02AM
I'm waiting for documentation of folks who JB the phone to TMo, as I'm not keen on switching carriers esp with ATT problems. does that exist out on the interwebs as of today...?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2010 09:03AM by mrbigstuff.
Date: July 13, 2010 10:11AM
Many of us do not have one yet...
Date: July 13, 2010 10:30AM
i'm all for sticking it to ATT but I don't understand what problems using TMO would solve. They use the same network.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020