advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Cost of Installing Windows
Posted by: Billybob
Date: July 13, 2010 01:57PM
We need two windows replaced in our house: one in a bathroom and the other in a bedroom. We had our "handyman" measure, and we ordered custom windows based on his measurements. Well, my wife has lost confidence in the handyman, and wants the windows professionally installed.

Only one company so far is willing to do the installation. The rep says they can do the job (so, the measurements were okay), but they are asking $750 to do the job. Is this a reasonable amount to install two average-size windows?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2010 01:58PM by Billybob.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cost of Installing Windows
Posted by: davester
Date: July 13, 2010 02:07PM
This depends a lot on what kind of replacement you're doing, what kind of siding and trim you have, etc.

If the outer window frames (i.e. the part that attaches to the siding and sheetrock) are OK, the best thing to do is purchase "replacement" windows which are relatively inexpensive and are custom built to fit the original frames. These should be quite inexpensive to install and $750 would be outrageous.

However, if the frames need replacing so that you need to disrupt the siding and trim, the sky's the limit because doing a waterproof installation requires ripping the siding back, installing new flashing, perhaps restuccoing, painting, new trim, the whole nine yards.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: swf
Date: July 13, 2010 02:07PM
Sounds very high to me. I am having 5 custom windows built and installed for $2100. Additionally, they are installing an entry door(that I purchased separately) for an additional $250.
Posted by: artie67
Date: July 13, 2010 02:11PM
A hint of the wall construction would help. Stucco, brick, etc. In the future go to window companies (referrals from friends are best) and get the total cost installed. If it doesn't fit they have to supply another window.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: July 13, 2010 02:14PM
I installed my vinyl replacement windows in about 1.5 hours each or less and I had never done it before. Save the cash and install them yourself.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: billb
Date: July 13, 2010 02:23PM
I'd laugh if the "professional installer" sub-contracted the job out to the handyman .
(it happens)

replacement windows are really only viable where the sash , frame and casing have not deteriorated.
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 13, 2010 02:36PM
What artie said.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 13, 2010 02:39PM

Date: July 13, 2010 04:50PM
Hmm,

It's a frame house with wood siding. No indication that this is a problem job.

It seems like they're trying to stick it to us because we didn't contract with them to do the entire project.

I, too, thought that it would be ironic if they hired my handyman to do the installation.

The wife might just have to deal with the handyman regardless of preference.

Thanks all!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2010 04:50PM by Billybob.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 13, 2010 05:02PM
Are you installing using bootcamp or a virtulization package?!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 13, 2010 05:13PM
bazookaman

still funny
Posted by: michael_s
Date: July 13, 2010 05:52PM
I know a window salesman. The going rate in the south is $50.00 per window install. At least that is what the contractor is paid. Very few window/siding companies actually have their own crews doing the install.
I agree with the others that they will hire your handyman or one like him.
Do it yourself. Get the wife to help. Afterwards you can have make-up sex. Or spend the money you saved on hookers and booze.

Have fun.
Date: July 13, 2010 06:12PM
sekker
Are you installing using bootcamp or a virtulization package?!

too funny.

michael_s
I know a window salesman. The going rate in the south is $50.00 per window install. At least that is what the contractor is paid. Very few window/siding companies actually have their own crews doing the install.
I agree with the others that they will hire your handyman or one like him.
Do it yourself. Get the wife to help. Afterwards you can have make-up sex. Or spend the money you saved on hookers and booze.

Have fun.

That's good information. I live in Florida. Am I in the South?

As for make-up sex or hookers, I'm too old. I took the wife to Greece last week, and I'm done until August.

Thanks!
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: July 13, 2010 08:08PM
A partial explanation for the high price could be the recently implemented national lead certification for contractors. From my understanding a contractor (any kind) the deals with buildings that have (or are believed to have) lead paint now have to be certified for the handling of such. Apparently this makes contractors in general more expensive, plus brings added costs to the work site. I read a rant somewhere recently about this concerning window replacement and it said that under the new laws when a window was replaced both the inside and outside area around the window had to be tented among other lead handling measures adding approximately $150 to the cost of replacing each window. Apparently violation of the certification process or proper job site procedures results in obscene fines.
Posted by: kap
Date: July 13, 2010 08:13PM
billb
I'd laugh if the "professional installer" sub-contracted the job out to the handyman .
(it happens)

I have seen too many during the peak of the housing market. I am no handyman but I had a belly ache of laughters when I saw what a subcontractor did to our friend's shower's tiled floor. The guy had the audacity to tell me that he did a good job! I told our friend to either fire the contractor and his hired hand or give them a bonus for doing such a con job!

SoCal for now.
Posted by: tenders
Date: July 13, 2010 08:26PM
> I took the wife to Greece last week

Oh, is that what they're calling it these days.

The "Greece" reference made me think it might be something else.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: July 13, 2010 08:40PM
Billybob
We need two windows replaced in our house: one in a bathroom and the other in a bedroom. We had our "handyman" measure, and we ordered custom windows based on his measurements. Well, my wife has lost confidence in the handyman, and wants the windows professionally installed.

Only one company so far is willing to do the installation. The rep says they can do the job (so, the measurements were okay), but they are asking $750 to do the job. Is this a reasonable amount to install two average-size windows?

Get a Mac...

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 13, 2010 09:51PM
$750 is only for the installation, or it also includes the cost of the windows? do you get the high energy efficiency windows (low E glass)? with custom trim on the outside? sliding or swinging panels? safety locks? screens?

All these little options add a few $$ here and there, and 750 doesn't seem too much if it includes the cost of the windows.

We replaced 3 large windows and an 8-foot sliding patio door and the cost was a little over 3k. That included the cost of the windows and the labour. With all the bell and whistles mentioned above, except that would not do wood grain on the inside at the same time with brown trimming on the outside (the outside brown trimming was a must because it had to match the other townhouses).

I had quotations from several other companies, ranging from 5.8k to 8.2 k. terrible experience with some of the salesmen (I almost called the cops to kick him out).

Don't forget that you get 30% back as tax credit (up to 1500) for the cost of the windows, but not for the cost of the installations. In our case, there was only one invoice, and out CPA said we can claim it all, since all cost was for material and the contractor threw in the installation for "free" (I don't believe that though).
Posted by: davester
Date: July 13, 2010 10:07PM
I wouldn't dream of doing a job like this before I obtained at least three bids from reputable installers that I had gotten recommendations for. It could be that the company who gave you a price doesn't really want to do the work so they hi-balled you. Of course, you haven't provided enough info for us to figure out what the scope really is so we're all still guessing.

As to lead abatement, certification is generally easy and cheap but the work is slightly more involved (but generally does NOT involve tenting. Also note that lead abatement is very necessary since the impacts to children from sloppy renovation/painting are very real. Don't mess with a contractor who doesn't mention lead abatement and how it is going to be done.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 13, 2010 10:08PM
We spent $3600 a few years ago on 17 windows, one being a custom triple it accounts for 3. Our old windows
were crank out aluminum and had to be cut to pieces to remove them, no easy job. Our handyman trimmed
everything out and sealed the trim and we couldn't be happier. Amazing at the difference it made, the old
crank outs had removable storms had to be screwed in place and unscrewed to remove them and then install
screens so needless to say most summers we never opened the windows, too much trouble. Now it's just
unlatch and push up.

Grateful11
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: July 13, 2010 11:23PM
Grateful11
We spent $3600 a few years ago on 17 windows, one being a custom triple it accounts for 3.

That's a pretty incredible price for installed windows.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 14, 2010 06:07AM
Mike Sellers
Grateful11
We spent $3600 a few years ago on 17 windows, one being a custom triple it accounts for 3.

That's a pretty incredible price for installed windows.

I just sitting here and thinking that sounded like too many windows and it was it was actually 13 not 17.
Which I guess still isn't too bad.

Grateful11
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: July 14, 2010 07:50AM
Here's an article about the new regulations concerning lead abatement when installing windows:

Window & Door: Gearing Up for the EPA Lead Abatement Rules
Posted by: billb
Date: July 14, 2010 09:46AM
Billybob
Hmm,

It seems like they're trying to stick it to us because we didn't contract with them to do the entire project.
Window warrantee and installation issues can be a time consuming hassle for everyone involved.
With slim margins the profit on the windows sometimes pays for some of the cost of providing labour.
I sought some bids for trenchwork for well pipe replacement and underground services to same and a garge. 10 grand and everyone was too busy , seemingly in part because I had already done a lot of the other ancillary work.
Getting it all one for $3 grand this week.
Must be a slight change in the building market around here. :-)

I, too, thought that it would be ironic if they hired my handyman to do the installation.

It would be nice to believe you might have more recourse with a pro general contractor of some sort, but that's not necessarily true, either.
The wife might just have to deal with the handyman regardless of preference.

Thanks all!
Date: July 14, 2010 03:25PM
We got a second contractor who promised to provide a quote.

When nailed down, he informed us that they charge ~$75/window for their labor costs as long as the job is not complicated. We shall see. I will report back when it's all done.

I'm not sure about the lead issue, but our house isn't (that) old, so I don't think that lead is an issue. None of the contractors have mentioned it.

As for Greece, we usually go to the Florida Panhandle for R&R. However, I hada two-week job in Istanbul and had Starwood's rewards points to burn. Greece was the closest location of a Starwood's resort on a beach. Very nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2010 03:26PM by Billybob.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 127
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020