advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"Consumer Report iPhone4 study flawed"
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 13, 2010 02:47PM
Let me start off by saying that for much of my career, I worked as an electromagnetic engineer working on exactly the kind of issues that now face Apple on the iPhone4. But this isn’t about me. It is about Consumer Reports and its not so scientific testing on the iPhone 4...

I also don’t know what part of this problem is Apple’s and what part is related to the AT&T network.

And we don’t know how the observed effect is, or is not, similar to other devices.

We also don’t know if placing a finger on the antenna bridge is detuning the antenna or detuning the receiver itself.

And neither does Consumer Reports.

The whole story: [mobileanalyst.wordpress.com]

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Consumer Report iPhone4 study flawed"
Posted by: michaelb
Date: July 13, 2010 02:59PM
I don't see how that matters though. This was one of the lead stories in my local paper, and has gotten and will get extensive coverage. I don't see it going away until Apple recognizes the problem, issues a fix, and tries to move on. Many stories today are speculating about a recall.
Posted by: decay
Date: July 13, 2010 03:06PM
it's all about perception vs. reality.

remember those "flaming" Powerbook 5300s? how many actually caught fire?

---
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 13, 2010 03:28PM
michaelb
I don't see how that matters though. This was one of the lead stories in my local paper, and has gotten and will get extensive coverage. I don't see it going away until Apple recognizes the problem, issues a fix, and tries to move on.

Or a flavor-of-the-moment story shows up and supplants it.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 13, 2010 03:32PM
michaelb
I don't see how that matters though. This was one of the lead stories in my local paper, and has gotten and will get extensive coverage. I don't see it going away until Apple recognizes the problem, issues a fix, and tries to move on. Many stories today are speculating about a recall.

I hope that the problem is thoroughly investigated, i.e. cell phones from all manufacturers should be tested and those tests publicized. Why should just Apple and its cell phone have all the fun?

[www.anandtech.com] ( see the table entitled "Signal Attenuation Comparison" )

Who knew that radio waves are affected by us waterbags? It's a scandal, I tell ya, a scandal...

Regarding issuing a "fix," Apple has already promised one. A more fundamental fix will have to await the invention of sub-space radio, conversion of the human species to non-material form, or some other dramatic advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2010 03:32PM by Article Accelerator.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 13, 2010 05:03PM
The anandtech article tells the tale.

I still do not understand why apple doesn't just give those stupid plastic bumpers away.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: July 13, 2010 05:07PM
I suppose that Leo Laporte, Ihnatko, and Walt Mossberg were also wrong to notice the same issue. And we all know they are noted Apple bashers.

Clearly the iPhone 4 has a problem. To be fair nearly every cell phone is affected by this issue, some more than others. For Apple not to notice this problem while testing is strange. The iPhone 4 antenna problem is not insurmountable. Apple should offer a free case or iPhone bumper to afflicted users.

Nathan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2010 05:09PM by silvarios.
Posted by: Doc
Date: July 13, 2010 05:56PM
RAMd®d
We also don’t know if placing a finger on the antenna bridge is detuning the antenna or detuning the receiver itself.

And neither does Consumer Reports.

And since that wasn't the basis of the Consumer Reports recommendation, it's completely irrelevant.

[blogs.consumerreports.org]

When your finger or hand touches a spot on the phone's lower left side—an easy thing, especially for lefties—the signal can significantly degrade enough to cause you to lose your connection altogether if you're in an area with a weak signal. Due to this problem, we can't recommend the iPhone 4.

They encountered a problem that was likely to negatively impact the use and enjoyment of the product for consumers who purchased the phone.

Period.

Whether they sought after or isolated the precise mechanism of the problem matters less than a pair of fetid dingo's kidneys.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 13, 2010 07:54PM
I'm sure the next Batch of phones will feature the repair.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: July 14, 2010 05:03AM
vision63

I'm NOT... Steve has been known to be a "hard-ass" and let things fester for quite a while, hoping they will go away. When they don't he will eventually do "something" . . . wall smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: haikuman
Date: July 14, 2010 05:43AM
vision63

I agree. We buy Apple products because they are better and user friendly. I will go out on a limb and bet a fine bottle of wine Sir Whip, that this gets fixed in a very timely manner, if it really is the phone antenna *(:>*
Posted by: Doc
Date: July 14, 2010 05:58AM
haikuman
vision63

I agree. We buy Apple products because they are better and user friendly. I will go out on a limb and bet a fine bottle of wine Sir Whip, that this gets fixed in a very timely manner, if it really is the phone antenna *(:>*

That's no bet.

I'm sure that the "fix" involves no more than a couple of pennies worth of almost-invisible spray-laminate (per phone)... and it probably adds some needed scratch-resistance, too.
Posted by: decay
Date: July 14, 2010 12:27PM
Doc
Whether they sought after or isolated the precise mechanism of the problem matters less than a pair of fetid dingo's kidneys.

Posted by: haikuman
Date: July 14, 2010 01:56PM
I believe we have some rules here about mocking ...Fetid Dingo Kidneys and the Jigsaw never mock the jigsaw
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020