advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Motorola Phone Tools-like program for Mac
Posted by: DavidS
Date: May 10, 2006 04:13PM
I bought a Pink Razr for my wife today (early Mother's Day/Bday gift). Her old phone did not have Bluetooth.

I know that Motorola's Phone Tools program is not available for MacOS. However, I'm curious if this syncs automatically through iSync? Do we need any other special software to transfer contacts back and forth?

I haven't been home to try it out yet, so it may just work with no problems, but wanted to post here in case there is anything special I should know.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Motorola Phone Tools-like program for Mac
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 10, 2006 04:31PM
I can't say for sure but I've been researching phones and I think I remember reading that the Razor syncs with iSync on the Mac without any issues.

I found this link @ apple.

[www.apple.com]

and the Razor is on the list.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2006 04:35PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: maco
Date: May 10, 2006 05:08PM
DavidS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I bought a Pink Razr for my wife today (early
> Mother's Day/Bday gift). Her old phone did not
> have Bluetooth.
>
> I know that Motorola's Phone Tools program is not
> available for MacOS. However, I'm curious if this
> syncs automatically through iSync? Do we need any
> other special software to transfer contacts back
> and forth?

Works fine with iSync.
No other software needed.

Easy to transer photos, sound files ... to & from the phone.
Makes it easy to add your own ringtones. My wife's phone plays "Stand By Your Man" when I call.

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 10, 2006 05:29PM
Verizon based RAZRs have OBEX transfer disabled via Bluetooth and via USB. This means you MAY be able to transfer contacts and calendar. I could not make it work.

You WILL NOT be able to move ringtones, pictures or movies to the phone or from the phone. These features are nearly always disabled on verizon phones as they want your money.

We returned the RAZR and got an LG8100VX as you can manipulate all you want via bluetooth or USB (with a cable from eBay) and BitPim (same with most LG Verizon phones)

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: kap
Date: May 10, 2006 05:49PM
What a coincidence, I just received a set of RazRs from Cingular for a new two year contract that includes two FREE Canon Digital Color Photo printers! from the online dealer, wirefly.com. I am curious if this phone would work with iSyn as well.

Kap

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2006 07:17PM by kap.
Posted by: maco
Date: May 10, 2006 06:20PM
My post above is for Razr w/Cingular. All works fine.
Date: May 10, 2006 07:18PM
maco,

Why is that your reply is always hidden?

Kap

SoCal for now.
Date: May 10, 2006 07:47PM
We are on Cingular. I migrated her line of our Family Plan from Cingular Blue (old AT&T Wireless) to Cingular Orange to get her the Pink Razr for $50 AR.

Tomorrow, I'm hopefully going to migrate my phone over to a new Orange family plan through CompUSA to get the $30 SLVR. Then the nice person who helped me today at the Cingular store said she'd recombine the accounts into one family plan.

She just got her Razr sync'd up. It took several tries to get the computer and phone to recognize each other, but all seems well now.

Thanks for the info!

Kap - I saw that offer from Wirefly/Infonic. However, I was a bit wary about using them to go from AT&TWS to Cingular Orange. The cheapest plan they had was for $69.99/month, more than I need. I called them and they said that if I changed plans (even putting it back on my FAN account) within 6 months, they'd hit me with an early-termination fee.
Date: May 10, 2006 08:15PM
Ok, next question. How does she use iSync to transfer photos to her phone? Or, I guess she has to do it via another program?

She's got the calendar and contacts done. I can't find any specifics on the Apple Support website.

Never mind... I found a link online that explained how to do it via the Bluetooth menu on her computer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2006 08:41PM by DavidS.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: May 10, 2006 08:43PM
Is Verizon still handicapping their bluetooth phones? I thought they got popped on that last year and had to refund money to customers as they didn't disclose the fact that they limited bluetooth to car kits and headsets.
Date: May 10, 2006 08:57PM
DavidS,

We are already members of Cingular since last January after switching from ATT Wireless. We had been staying without a contract since this January after our one year contract expired. With the new plan for two lines, we have 550 anytime minutes and all the features at $79.99 minus taxes. I don't use the phone that much; S/O does mostly due to her job. Still, I doubt that we'll be using up the anytime minutes. We had over 4,000 roll-over minute from our last contract with 850 any time minutes!

Kap

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 10, 2006 10:34PM
Verizon still handicaps bluetooth phones, but now they do disclose it (but just barely).

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 10, 2006 11:41PM
you can buy an unlocked phone. . .they even sell them on Amazon now.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 585
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020