advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Oh, and another "real" question...
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 14, 2006 02:23PM
I am trying to run DiskWarrior on my Mom's hard drive, remotely, via Chicken of the VNC...

I'm booted now from a full backup of her drive (so that I can run DW on the "main" drive), and every time I run DW, it's giving me an error that it can't repair that drive because it's in use. She has very little running-- Dashboard, OSXvnc, a very few other things that should not be accessing that hard drive. So unless OSXvnc itself is accessing that drive for some reason (don't think it should be), I'm stumped.

So... my question is... in a general sense, how can you figure out what app or apps are accessing a given hard drive?

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Oh, and another "real" question...
Posted by: LyleH
Date: May 14, 2006 03:14PM
Not a direct answer to your question, but can you boot DW from a CD? Then there shouldn't be any programs running or files in use from the hard drive.

LyleH
Date: May 14, 2006 03:31PM
LyleH, yes, you could do that-- the problem there though is that it defeats the purpose of using VNC, which is to be able to do this all remotely.

I ask this question generally, because I sometimes see this error on my own system as well, and it would be nice to know how to find out what app(s) are accessing what hard drive(s)...

Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 14, 2006 06:36PM
command line - lsof

Date: May 14, 2006 06:47PM
matt, yikes, how to make sense of all of that?

Posted by: modelamac
Date: May 14, 2006 09:14PM
Activity Monitor may give you a clue.

A friend trying to use DW from his backup drive found that iTunes was the culprit.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Date: May 14, 2006 10:13PM
modelamac and matt, thanks to you both. The culprit was an Iomega driver, which for reasons I don't understand, was accessing something in a Previous System folder on the drive in question-- weird. I ended up figuring it out by doing the lsof thing and searching through the results for the volume name...

There really ought to be an app to do this for you, to make it more obvious what app(s) are accessing what volume(s)...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020