advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Immigration Rant- and a modest proposal
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 18, 2006 10:24PM
The US Department of State is staffed by incompetent morons, or our laws are incredibly moronic, or both.

Period.

I'm giving a web seminar at effing 11PM my time to a bunch of my corporation's local employees in Shanghai. I'm tired and wired. They WERE supposed to come here for extensive training. So FOUR MONTHS AGO we attempted to get them visas to visit the US. They are all educated, experienced, professional IT types. They have good jobs with a US (!) Corporation.

After 45 minutes of paperwork, lots of $$, 2 Months (!) of waiting for an 'appointment', and 3 hours (!) of "interviews " each, they were all REFUSED legal permission to visit the US to attend business meetings for two weeks. Not to live. Not to work as US employees. Just to come to a few dumb seminars and meetings.

And now we have to go over there. And do you know how long it took US to get visas to China ?
3 days. All express mail delivery time delay to the Chinese embassy.

We actually almost considered having them fly to Mexico and walk across the border to get 'em here.

---
I propose that EVERY nation in the world demand complete reciprocity with US immigration / visa procedures. Once US business people have to wait 2 years to visit India to outsource all our tech support, they will make the US change it's antiquated laws.

Or we'll stop ALL offshoring, which would also be fine by me, I think...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Immigration Rant- and a modest proposal
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 18, 2006 10:45PM
No boiling babies?

It is what it is.
Posted by: jimbrady
Date: May 19, 2006 12:31AM
Enjoy the fact that being American means you can pretty much go anywhere you want, for as long as you want.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 19, 2006 01:30AM
jimbrady
Enjoy the fact that being American means you can pretty much go anywhere you want, for as long as you want.

You can go anywhere you want (except Cuba or Afganistan or Iraq, maybe). Attitudes toward American travelers (outside tourist destinations) is rocky, If you come back alive or in a box after touring a third or even second world country is the real question.

If you have a real yen for travel think: "Oh Canada". That works unless you suffer from Francophobia.

"Who's more foolish - the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi
Posted by: Pops
Date: May 19, 2006 05:15AM
If you have a real yen for travel think: "Oh Canada". That works unless you suffer from Francophobia.

Eh?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2006 05:16AM by Pops.
Posted by: Greg the dogsitter
Date: May 19, 2006 09:39AM
cbelt3
We actually almost considered having them fly to Mexico and walk across the border to get 'em here.

<golf clap> Good one!
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 19, 2006 09:47AM
Meanwhile I know someone whose grandmother came to visit by flying into Canada and sneaking over the border, then sneaking back again to fly home to China. Totally off the record, no visas, no nothing, no problem. It's the people who play by the rules who get kept out, but a terrorist can get in easily enough as far as I can see.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 19, 2006 08:33PM
Pops

Eh?

An oblique reference to les Quebecois.

"Who's more foolish - the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020