advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
anyone see this article GRRRRR
Posted by: samintx
Date: May 19, 2006 12:40PM
[www.signonsandiego.com]

And still Congress is on goofie pills.....where did they lose their common sense? I cannot believe they can stand up and say the things they do with a straight face.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: anyone see this article GRRRRR
Posted by: davester
Date: May 19, 2006 01:03PM
All this bitchin' and moanin' about illegal immigration is, to put it mildly, stupid. Illegal immigration is nothing more nor less than supply and demand. Fences and armies will not stop it. It's not even very clear that it's a real problem other than the fact that it pushes many people's xenophobia buttons. Here's a good article for those of you who need a little perspective:

"Illegal immigration in this country is largely tolerated except when it isn't. It's a something-for-everybody deal; employers get workers at minimum wage; workers get jobs for far more money than they would make in their native countries. Periodically, there is national upset about illegal immigration, on the basis that immigrants are responsible for rising unemployment or declining social services or increased crime. Politicians get excited, call it a complicated problem, propose an amnesty of some sort. With a wave of the wand, illegal immigrants are made legal, and the process starts all over again.

Illegal immigration is an entirely predictable consequence of a market economy. People go where the jobs are; employers go where cheap labor is. If you want to solve the problem of illegal immigration, solve that problem...

...Does anyone think that, a year from now, we'll all be mopping our foreheads and saying, "Whew, that was a close call. Thank God those National Guard troops got there in time. At last, no more illegal immigrants"?

...Illegal immigration is not going away. That may be a good thing or a bad thing, but it doesn't matter: It's a real thing. That's the only premise upon which good policy can be made. "

Full article here: [www.sfgate.com]

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: May 19, 2006 01:41PM
I'm not in the US but in the UK and we also have illegal immigration. I've said it before and I will now say it again, I am kind of proud that there are people out there who think so much of our country that they will risk everything, including their lives to enter. Good luck to them.
Posted by: bernadette
Date: May 19, 2006 02:51PM
voodoopenguin
I'm not in the US but in the UK and we also have illegal immigration. I've said it before and I will now say it again, I am kind of proud that there are people out there who think so much of our country that they will risk everything, including their lives to enter. Good luck to them.

A lot of them risk nothing, they come to the Uk on holiday and just don't bother going back.They also cross through most European Community countries just to get to Britain because our welfare benefit packages and our free housing and education are the easiest to get.

We provide translators for people that have no intention of learning English, we allow their children an education only for them to complain about the rules concerning their religious beliefs, and when people like Abu Hamza they start calling for all the infidels to be killed, we put them in prison at our expense and give them thousands of pounds worth of legal advice to fight deportation.

Maybe my outlook is a little jaded, but I lived and worked for fifteen years at the Excelsior hotel at Heathrow Airport and saw first hand the facilities laid on for them.You had to see it to believe it. They would bus housing, welfare, council accomodation officers and interpreters into the hotel to sort out their various claims. The next stop was West Middlesex Hospital for check-ups and treatment if needed.

So I'm sorry if I cannot wish them good luck, because I don't really think "luck" comes into it.
Posted by: Panopticon
Date: May 19, 2006 07:45PM
"And still Congress is on goofie pills.....where did they lose their common sense?"

sam, the two parties have made it IMPOSSIBLE for anyone outside of their 'inner circle' to get elected. Most of these @#$%&hats have been in office FAR TOO LONG. Many have, in fact, NEVER held a 'real' job or even served in the military.

The revolution isn't far off and it won't be pretty (millions of mis-treated but well trained vets have scores to settle too)!
Posted by: billb
Date: May 19, 2006 08:45PM
It would seem to me that if some sort of voluntary 'day pass' ID program was put into effect , first, maybe as an experiment and then expanded and tweaked, this whole Homeland Security/migrancy issue wouldn't be such a door stopping issue.

Seems like we're going about the whole thing bass akwards.

Becoming a walled country with migrant friends suddenly walled out throwing rocks at us was done in the middle east. Still escalating to this day.
Posted by: viaripatti
Date: May 24, 2006 08:04AM
I live in California and generally have seen the same things that "bernadette" has seen happen in England.
Nobody wants to tell Mexico the uncomplicated truth, "Put a Sock in it, we can't continue to absorb your surplus humanity forever; Mexico,you need to come out and speak about Birth Control". I blame the Catholic Church for the misery that they have caused by not changing their edicts about Birth Control.
We could NOT build schools fast enough here in CA. The minute the paint was dry, up went those extra classroom modules all over the playgrounds. We received a flood of illegals after that 86 amnesty(about 12million over a decade). Here we go again.
At minimum, do NOT send that signal again.
I paid $5000 each for my 2 children to be born(I was 42 when the last one came). In the next room was an hispanic woman of about 23 surrounded by 4 of her young children having another one. I knew in my soul that this was a "Freebie" courtesy of Medi-Cal.

As to the "They're paying taxes" statement so commonly bantered about: I've been in business in retail in CA since 1979 and it's all cash, Baby! How do you pay taxes unless you have a Soc. Sec. number? You can't get that unless you have a valid birth certificate. Sure, a few obtain forgeries but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the services(schools, medical) that they take. Someone years ago figured that the average hispanic family receives about 25K/yr. in social benefits. Why can't we pay these folks $15/hr so that they can have dignity and afford those services...No, we want a head of lettuce for $1.25 and not $3 so we pay through the back door in social services.

Many of you may not know this but Mexico is a wealthy country if you consider it's arable land, minerals, oil, ocean and tourism. The fact that it is a 3-rd world country is because of vast corruption spanning over 100 years that has effectively circumvented a middle class from evolving. I can't imagine what the southwestern states would have been like had they remained in that Republic.

Capitalist Democracies demand a certain level of ethics to work..when that is not forthcoming that devolve into pretend Democracies...hmm might even happen here if the Republicans had their way.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: May 24, 2006 09:13PM
If the situation in California isn't bad enough, Gov Arnold gets $ 750 million federal tax dollars to help out ole Californias hospital bills from illegals, despite the fact that CA makes 20 billion dollars plus a year off of trade with Mexico.

These elected officials are a joke and all need to go. Arnold, Presidente Fox and Bush are having a Three-Way. And screwing us all in the process.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020