advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
You can lie but I can't
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 20, 2006 04:19AM
Seems the administration was asking telephone companies to provide them with some records. Most companies did, at least one did not.

When it became public the claim was that the law preventing disclosure did not apply to the government asking for records, but could apply to the TelCos who went along.

Now the government says the President has the authority to allow the heads of these companies to lie under oath if they are asked questions about this.

What authority allows the President to allow civilians to lie under oath? Civilian or not, why have an oath if it can be negated by an executive order?

Who are these people who think they can negate a history of law in this nation?

"Who's more foolish - the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2006 04:22AM by RgrF.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: You can lie but I can't
Posted by: Pops
Date: May 20, 2006 07:49AM
Link?
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 21, 2006 01:35AM
It was something I picked up on the fly (Al Franken Show maybe) not from the net. The reference was to the AG (Gonzoman) having the authority to permit a third party to lie under oath in a matter he declared to be of national security.

Best I can do for now.

"Who's more foolish - the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2006 01:36AM by RgrF.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 22, 2006 10:09AM
I may be a naif here, but I believe the current imbroglio is merely a misinterpretation of the long standing "National Security" clause in which people are required to say nothing in response to a question when the answer could somehow endanger national security.

The decision to answer or not to answer is always a personal one, but it represents a difficult decision:

Do I answer with factual information, and subject myself to a witch hunt and fines/imprisonment a la the Valerie Plame issue
- or-
Do I refuse to answer, and subject myself to contempt of court charges, imprisonment, fines, and vivsection by the Fifth Estate ?

In most cases, it is easier to 'do what you're told'. Unfortunately, the 'I vas only followink orders' defense doesn't work too well any more.

I would not want to be in those poor sod's shoes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 157
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020