advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
I'm dumb. How do terrorists know who are a certain religion?
Posted by: samintx
Date: June 08, 2006 08:06PM
They seem to target Sunnis etc and do they dress or look differently? Educated guess or if they are in a certain area they must be the wrong religion?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I'm dumb. How do terrorists know who are a certain religion?
Posted by: JoeM
Date: June 08, 2006 10:30PM

Maybe they wear hats...or sumptin'?

JoeM
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 09, 2006 02:32AM
Actually, headress design, and the way it is wrapped is a pretty good indicator.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: June 09, 2006 02:35AM
They are all the same religion.
They just subscribe to different sects.
Also, Shia are generally ethnically closer to the Persian end of the scale, while Sunnis are mostly Arab[?] I am not 100% on that last point.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: June 09, 2006 02:51AM
"See the mosque with the onion-top instead of the round dome? We bomb that one. Remember, NOT the one with the round dome. That's ours."

"D'oh!"

"I said NOT the one with the round dome!!"
Posted by: x-uri
Date: June 09, 2006 07:45AM
Seacrest
They are all the same religion.
They just subscribe to different sects.
Also, Shia are generally ethnically closer to the Persian end of the scale, while Sunnis are mostly Arab[?] I am not 100% on that last point.

If only there were some kind of networked database that could be queried to answer these kinds of questions...

[islam.about.com]

[www.al-islami.com]

[en.wikipedia.org]

[en.wikipedia.org]

"The Persian end of the scale..." sheesh,

To answer Sam's question -- Shi'a and Sunni can tell each other apart in exactly the same way that the protestants and catholics could distinguish one another in Ireland. They live in largely segregated communities, they worship in different mosques, and when challenged will identify themselves as belonging to one sect or the other.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 09, 2006 07:55AM
As I understand it from an NPR story a month or so ago, the person's name helps identify them as well. You have to remember that naming from the history of the religion is a major cultural component- much like women in staunchly Catholic families have "Mary" somwhere in their names (at least in my family).

Whilst googling, I tripped across this Guardian story , which tells a chilling tale of 'everyday' violenece in the 'hoods.
[www.guardian.co.uk]

It is difficult to imagine bringing the rule of law to this wretched hive of scum and villany..
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: June 09, 2006 10:48AM
x-uri

If only there were some kind of networked database that could be queried to answer these kinds of questions...

If only I gave half a flying funk.

The world would be a whole lot better off without any of this bullsh!t.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: davester
Date: June 12, 2006 05:05PM
It was sooo much easier for american terrorists of a few decades ago. They were able to torture and kill people based purely on skin color...no worries about hats or language, or guesswork, etc.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 13, 2006 04:46AM
davester
It was sooo much easier for american terrorists of a few decades ago. They were able to torture and kill people based purely on skin color...no worries about hats or language, or guesswork, etc.

Davester seems to be suggesting that history is written by the victors. That's just so apparent even C students might grasp it. Oh! Right GW was a C student.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2006 04:47AM by RgrF.
Date: June 13, 2006 02:10PM
RgrF
Davester seems to be suggesting that history is written by the victors. That's just so apparent even C students might grasp it. Oh! Right GW was a C student.

I'm not sure I caught your drift or you mine, rgrf. The terrorists I was referring to were the southern racists (including ku klux klan, some police forces, government officials, etc) who terrorized southern blacks with impunity up through the 60s, and in some cases into more recent times.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2006 02:10PM by davester.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 23, 2006 04:29AM
It's a bit late to revive the thread but I was implying that history has no meaning for some. It's just a buch of names in a book. I'd suggest the the current President has less grasp of history than a bright high school student.
Date: June 26, 2006 02:13PM
RgrF
I'd suggest the the current President has less grasp of history than a bright high school student.

That is probably the defining characteristic of this president which separates him from pretty much all the others. He is ignorant and not at all curious, just like many of his supporters. We are all much the worse for it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020