Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
The "Judicial Insider Trading" of Justice Clarence Thomas and Wife "Ginni"
Posted by: rankandfile
Date: June 12, 2011 09:14PM
The "Judicial Insider Trading" of Justice Clarence Thomas and Wife "Ginni"

Excerpts:

"As we reported in January, Thomas appears to have "knowingly and willfully" filed falsified Financial Disclosure Forms which withheld disclosure of nearly $700,000 his wife received from the rightwing Heritage Foundation for the better part of the last 20 years. Only once it was pointed out publicly this year did Thomas bother to file "self-initiated amendments" to the forms he had signed just above the legal warning in bold and all caps which reads: "NOTE: ANY INDIVIDUAL WHO KNOWINGLY AND WILLFULLY FALSIFIES OR FAILS TO FILE THIS REPORT MAY BE SUBJECT TO CIVIL AND CRIMINAL SANCTIONS (5 U.S.C. app. § 104)"

While there has been little indication that law enforcement is actually investigating the crimes of the U.S. Supreme Court Justice (which, as we pointed out in January, are punishable by up to $50,000 and/or 1 year in jail for each instance of falsification), last Friday when Thomas' Financial Disclosure Form for 2010 [PDF] was released, the matter appears to have gotten shadier still, leading at least one government watchdog organization to describe what Thomas and his wife Virginia "Ginni" Thomas may be been doing as "Judicial Insider Trading."

Connecting the dots, it would seem the couple made huge profits from Thomas' participation and insider knowledge of last year's Citizens United ruling at the U.S. Supreme Court, as we'll show you below."

[www.bradblog.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The "Judicial Insider Trading" of Justice Clarence Thomas and Wife "Ginni"
Posted by: Grace62
Date: June 12, 2011 11:32PM
Sounds like an impeachable offense to me. Don't expect this House of Representatives to get that started though.
Date: June 12, 2011 11:51PM
Grace62
Sounds like an impeachable offense to me. Don't expect this House of Representatives to get that started though.

I don't; however, there are other avenues like the disbarment proceeding underway in Missouri and an action by the DOJ (which continues to disappoint me on many issues).

Individual citizens can file complaints with their state AGs as I have done. It won't go anywhere here in SC, though.
Posted by: Grace62
Date: June 13, 2011 01:10AM
If he's disbarred he could still serve as a justice, right? You don't have to be a lawyer to be a judge.
What is DOJ doing?
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 13, 2011 01:18AM
DOJ won't even charge a banker with fraud, what do you think they'll do with a sitting Justice?

"Who's more foolish - the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi
Date: June 13, 2011 02:03AM
Disbarment, by itself, won't require that Thomas resign. It would be another component in a body of evidence that might tip the scales.

Absent the top down "constitutional" approach, probably the best remedy is widespread, persistent objections from a critical mass of citizenry directed at their representatives/senators and their state AGs, coupled with a full-court press in the media—loud and long.

In the speeches that Thomas has been making recently, he hammers away at the theme that "the court is under attack", and he exhorts his listeners (often young, private religious school students, or members of conservative organizations) to "defend freedom" by supporting the court. Thomas sees himself, IMHO, as the court. In his arrogant sense of entitlement he doesn't seem to be able to differentiate the court from his own bad actions; or, he's making a disingenuous argument which indicates he knows he's guilty.
Date: June 13, 2011 02:10AM
Grace62
What is DOJ doing?

Grace,

I reread your post and realized that my wording may have implied that the DOJ had a action underway. I don't know of any. There have been some requests made to the DOJ about Thomas.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 13, 2011 10:49AM
there was an interesting story on Morning Edition today about the Supremes and writing. most telling, and pathetic, for me was how Thomas' viewpoint show him to be an intellectual lightweight. as an african-american i find his presence on the bench embarrassing in so many ways.

Skip The Legalese And Keep It Short, Justices Say

"The only good way to learn about writing is to read good writing," says Chief Justice John Roberts.

That sentiment is echoed by Breyer, who points to Proust, Stendhal and Montesquieu as his inspirations. Justice Anthony Kennedy loves Hemingway, Shakespeare, Solzhenitsyn, Dickens and Trollope.

Justice Thomas says a good legal brief reminds him of the TV show 24. Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg says one of the great influences on her writing was her European literature professor at Cornell, Vladimir Nabokov — yes, the same Nabokov who later rocked the literary world with his widely acclaimed novel Lolita.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 13, 2011 11:19AM
I wonder if he can name which magazines he reads.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 13, 2011 11:21AM
Dennis S

probably only the ones with lots of pictures.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 13, 2011 11:41AM
Oh my, that npr story was depressing. I don't like Thomas but now I almost feel sorry for him, as if he was the dumb kid in class. :-(

Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: June 13, 2011 11:47AM
graylocks, seriously, you should not be embarrassed by Clarence Thomas any more than I should be by Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachmann. I do believe being a tool is a trait independent of race, creed and color.

Clarence Thomas is an embarrassment to America. We should all be chagrined by his office.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 13, 2011 11:59AM
Well said, Gutenberg. Good post, thanks.

Posted by: hal
Date: June 13, 2011 12:17PM
But there is only ONE first black Justice - we're stuck with this guy for the rest of history... Palin will be plain forgotten in a few years, but Thomas will always be the first black supreme court justice.

and that sucks...

it's like what if george washington was a complete bozo...
Date: June 13, 2011 12:38PM
graylocks
Dennis S

probably only the ones with lots of pictures.

I'm assuming you meant that as a double entendre.
Posted by: p8712
Date: June 13, 2011 12:40PM
hal
But there is only ONE first black Justice - we're stuck with this guy for the rest of history... Palin will be plain forgotten in a few years, but Thomas will always be the first black supreme court justice.

and that sucks...

Say What?
Posted by: hal
Date: June 13, 2011 12:46PM
o god... I'm a moron...

up way too late last night...
Posted by: billb
Date: June 13, 2011 01:02PM
p8712
hal

and that sucks...

Say What?

let's not start spoiling threads with facts .....

:-)

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: June 13, 2011 01:58PM
Gutenberg
graylocks, seriously, you should not be embarrassed by Clarence Thomas any more than I should be by Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachmann. I do believe being a tool is a trait independent of race, creed and color.

Clarence Thomas is an embarrassment to America. We should all be chagrined by his office.

agree smiley Well said.

If I felt responsible for all the stupid white folks in positions of power, I would never get out of bed in the morning.
Posted by: davester
Date: June 13, 2011 03:14PM
hal
o god... I'm a moron...

I think you meant that he was the first completely unworthy black justice.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: June 13, 2011 03:59PM
davester
hal
o god... I'm a moron...

I think you meant that he was the first completely unworthy black justice.

I can understand why you didn't associate the two.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020