advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
World Cup Death Watch
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: June 13, 2006 02:26PM

I love soccer. I hate death.

So what to do when World Cup rolls around and the two get entwined in a month-long headlock?

Answer: The World Cup Death Watch.

Between now and June 19th, guess how many people will perish worldwide in World Cup-related violence between June 9th and July 9th. Whoever comes closest wins a WFMU Messenger bag filled with CDs, T-shirts and other sundry WFMU crapola. Bear in mind, we're not talking just about deaths in Germany! We're counting arson in Australia, deadly bar brawls in Brazil, homicidal hooliganism in Helsinki, just as long as the World Cup is implicated in a news report of said incident.

[blog.wfmu.org]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: World Cup Death Watch
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 14, 2006 02:01AM
the_poochies

I love soccer. I hate death.

So what to do when World Cup rolls around and the two get entwined in a month-long headlock?

Answer: The World Cup Death Watch.

Between now and June 19th, guess how many people will perish worldwide in World Cup-related violence between June 9th and July 9th. Whoever comes closest wins a WFMU Messenger bag filled with CDs, T-shirts and other sundry WFMU crapola. Bear in mind, we're not talking just about deaths in Germany! We're counting arson in Australia, deadly bar brawls in Brazil, homicidal hooliganism in Helsinki, just as long as the World Cup is implicated in a news report of said incident.

[blog.wfmu.org]

My bet is the number of deaths in Iraq will exceed all World Cup fatalities.
Posted by: mick e
Date: June 14, 2006 06:41AM
Here ya go:

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) -- Thai police are searching for a gunman who shot and killed two football fans at a beach resort after complaining they were cheering too loudly during a broadcast of Italy's World Cup opener against Ghana, officials said Wednesday.
[www.cnn.com]

Unpaid Social Liaison
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: June 14, 2006 07:01AM
How many die of boredom?

Posted by: bernadette
Date: June 14, 2006 01:54PM
I think its exciting watching the matches and seeing the teams eliminated.
Its going to be a Germany-England final this time and we will thrash the Germans again as we did in 1966.
No offence Max but this is football we are talking about.
My national heritage is at stake.
When the World cup is being played Iraq can go to hell.
Oh by the way, good luck for tonight Max.
Luv ya really, its only football.
What am I saying?
Date: June 14, 2006 02:49PM
Hooligan Watch:

[soccernet.espn.go.com]

Unpaid Social Liaison
Date: June 14, 2006 02:52PM
Don't misunderestimate the power of footie, BTW:

[sportsillustrated.cnn.com]

Unpaid Social Liaison
Posted by: JoeM
Date: June 14, 2006 03:00PM
mick e
Hooligan Watch:

[soccernet.espn.go.com]

My word! There seems to be many "hooligans" in Europe.

JoeM
Posted by: JoeM
Date: June 14, 2006 03:15PM
mick e
Don't misunderestimate the power of footie, BTW:

[sportsillustrated.cnn.com]

And don't forget these Iranian soccer babes:

JoeM
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: June 15, 2006 12:57AM
It's as easy as ABC. Argentina, Brazil, and there's no C (although he Czechs looked awfully good against an anemic U.S. squad). Germany had a near-death experience against Poland (does that count as a half-death in the lottery?), and Germany is a lot better than England. France ought to be embarrassed over their game with Switzerland. Italy still a question mark, and we won't really know until the next round whether they're really any good.

The pundits are trying to scare up interest over the Trinidad vs England match coming up in a few hours. The first fifteen minutes ought to be fun.
Date: June 16, 2006 02:22PM
Ca Bob
It's as easy as ABC. Argentina, Brazil, and there's no C (although he Czechs looked awfully good against an anemic U.S. squad). Germany had a near-death experience against Poland (does that count as a half-death in the lottery?), and Germany is a lot better than England. France ought to be embarrassed over their game with Switzerland. Italy still a question mark, and we won't really know until the next round whether they're really any good.

The pundits are trying to scare up interest over the Trinidad vs England match coming up in a few hours. The first fifteen minutes ought to be fun.

We beat Trinidad and have got through to the last 16, although I have to say England had enough chances to score at least 6 more goals but just didn't take advantage of them. It usually takes a couple of games for the teams to settle down and the heat at the moment(especially if it's an afternoon match) suits the South American teams best.
England are gonna bring the cup back home this year.
Watch Crouch, Lampard and Gerrard. Owen and Rooney will possibly stay on the subs bench for a few of the matches as they tend to play well under pressure.
David Beckham plays well in any position but I think this will be his last World cup.
England played quite badly most of the way through in 1966 but on the day they were pure magic.
Posted by: Silencio
Date: June 16, 2006 02:30PM
I'm pulling for Eng-er-land, but they really don't look that great. Boring "long ball" tactics trying to find big overrated Peter Crouch in the air. Owen has looked like crap and Rooney is coming back from his famous foot injury. Who'll score the goals, unless they get free kicks for Beckham all day long?

I like Spain and Ecuador, and not just for my girlfriend's family's roots in both those countries. They both are really playing like complete teams right now with wonderful, creative passing up front. Hopefully this is the year that Spain finally gets it together. Ecuador handled Poland and Costa Rica with much more ease than Germany did.

Argentina and Italy are also dangerous teams. I'm not so convinced about Holland, who only has one admittedly very dangerous threat. I think the injuries will catch up with the Czechs, as good as they are. USA will be lucky to gain a single point, as Ghana is no slouch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2006 02:32PM by Silencio.
Date: June 16, 2006 11:17PM
Silencio
I'm pulling for Eng-er-land, but they really don't look that great. Boring "long ball" tactics trying to find big overrated Peter Crouch in the air. Owen has looked like crap and Rooney is coming back from his famous foot injury. Who'll score the goals, unless they get free kicks for Beckham all day long?

I like Spain and Ecuador, and not just for my girlfriend's family's roots in both those countries. They both are really playing like complete teams right now with wonderful, creative passing up front. Hopefully this is the year that Spain finally gets it together. Ecuador handled Poland and Costa Rica with much more ease than Germany did.

Argentina and Italy are also dangerous teams. I'm not so convinced about Holland, who only has one admittedly very dangerous threat. I think the injuries will catch up with the Czechs, as good as they are. USA will be lucky to gain a single point, as Ghana is no slouch.

Let's wait and see.
And don't rule out the USA. The fact that most people underestimate them gives them a massive peychological advantage.
Date: June 17, 2006 03:16AM
Well, as a native Californian I start out by rooting for the U.S., but California is full of Brazil partisans from way back. They play soccer the way the University of Southern California used to play American football (to the native Americans: I am trying to translate this into English English). My family had a long standing friendship with Manchester people (United, not City) going back to the 1950s, so I will always root for England against anybody but my home hemisphere. I don't pretend to be a soccer critic, but I just don't see anybody else right now at the level of the South American powerhouses. Could be wrong, and if the blue and gold take it all, I would expect somebody besides Ronaldo to be the hero.

So best of luck and skill to Merry Olde England, and some great viewing to the rest of us. Personally, I think the big accomplishment is that American players have worked their way into European and English professional soccer clubs, something that would have been all but unthinkable when I was growing up. I just hope the American squad finds a little something so that it isn't totally humiliated by the azzuri tomorrow.
Date: June 17, 2006 07:21AM
bernadette
Silencio

Let's wait and see.
And don't rule out the USA. The fact that most people underestimate them gives them a massive peychological advantage.

I meant to write psychological NOT peychological, my mistake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2006 07:24AM by bernadette.
Date: June 17, 2006 07:33AM
Ca Bob
Well, as a native Californian I start out by rooting for the U.S., but California is full of Brazil partisans from way back. They play soccer the way the University of Southern California used to play American football (to the native Americans: I am trying to translate this into English English). My family had a long standing friendship with Manchester people (United, not City) going back to the 1950s, so I will always root for England against anybody but my home hemisphere. I don't pretend to be a soccer critic, but I just don't see anybody else right now at the level of the South American powerhouses. Could be wrong, and if the blue and gold take it all, I would expect somebody besides Ronaldo to be the hero.

So best of luck and skill to Merry Olde England, and some great viewing to the rest of us. Personally, I think the big accomplishment is that American players have worked their way into European and English professional soccer clubs, something that would have been all but unthinkable when I was growing up. I just hope the American squad finds a little something so that it isn't totally humiliated by the azzuri tomorrow.

In the last World Cup Cameroon didn't have a hope in hell(according to the experts), but they played their hearts out and if I remember correctly got through to the quarter finals.
And I agree the USA have come from nowhere to field a respectable team, not an easy thing to do.
As for Merry Olde England, I'll be down the pub on Tuesday quite merry myself.
Good luck for today USA, I'll be cheering you on.
Date: June 17, 2006 02:58PM
It's half time and America can still win this one so go for it. You are down to ten men when you could have had an advantage over the Italians in the form of eleven men on the pitch.
The Italians are known for being dirty players so don't follow their example.
This match could be yours.
I'm still cheering you on.
Go USA, go.
Date: June 19, 2006 01:11PM
Yep, that was an ugly game: very physical and dirty, but seemingly non-malicious on the part of either side. Italy's goal was set up by a massive dive. Casey Kellar came up huge -- he robbed Del Piero twice.

So interestingly enough, the US still has something to play for against Ghana. Of course, but they need help from Italy. But if the US managed to eke out a second place finish, they immediately face Brazil in the first knockout game...

Lots of intriguing games on tap for this week. Ecuador v Germany, Netherlands v Argentina, Sweden v England, Portugal v Mexico, Ghana v USA, Czech Republic v Italy, Togo v France. The Tivo will get a workout.
Date: June 19, 2006 02:00PM
Silencio
Yep, that was an ugly game: very physical and dirty, but seemingly non-malicious on the part of either side. Italy's goal was set up by a massive dive. Casey Kellar came up huge -- he robbed Del Piero twice.

So interestingly enough, the US still has something to play for against Ghana. Of course, but they need help from Italy. But if the US managed to eke out a second place finish, they immediately face Brazil in the first knockout game...

Lots of intriguing games on tap for this week. Ecuador v Germany, Netherlands v Argentina, Sweden v England, Portugal v Mexico, Ghana v USA, Czech Republic v Italy, Togo v France. The Tivo will get a workout.

The French are OUT. England are playing both Rooney and Owen so they should get through that one ok.
USA v Ghana. USA are more than equal and are playing well enough to win as long as they remember its football and not rugby, although to be fair Italy are fierce in their tackling and to hold them to a draw with only nine men was quite a feat.
The only team playing really well, as usual, are the Argentinians, although the South American teams are usually $hit hot.
The Czech Republic and the Spanish are supposed to be the favourites but from what I've seen so far its anybody's game, apart from the French of course.
Shame.
As you so rightly say it will be an extremely interesting and intriguing week.
I'll be "down the pub" on Tuesday supporting the lads and I'll possibly have a hangover on Wednesday morning.
But some things are worth the pain.
Good luck to all the teams left in.
Posted by: max
Date: June 19, 2006 11:54PM
bernadette
Its going to be a Germany-England final this time and we will thrash the Germans again as we did in 1966.
What am I saying?

When the time comes it will be superior planning, strength and strategy vs ye of how-stout-thou heart?...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Date: June 20, 2006 11:22AM
max
bernadette
What am I saying?

When the time comes it will be superior planning, strength and strategy vs ye of how-stout-thou heart?...

I think you're wrong Max.
I think tonights game with Owen and Rooney playing will step things up a notch.
I still think England are playiong a psychological game.
The England manager has said Gerrard, Lampard and Crouch will sit on the bench for a few games as they already have yellow cards and he can't afford to have them out off the tournament.
Watch Owen and Rooney tonight and see them play together, I think they'll surprise Sweden.
England are through to the next round whatever happens tonight but a win would be good.
I'm off down the pub in about half an hour. I'll be drinking my Merrydown cider (warm), alcohol volume 7.5 (strong stuff) and cheering on the lads.
"Go for it my son".
Date: June 20, 2006 04:06PM
Oy, rough day for my teams today.

First, Ecuador plays a very disinterested game -- no Delgado, very little Tenorio -- and gets hammered by Germany. I didn't come into the Cup a very strong believer in Germany, but they're good enough to win it all with the home field advantage on their side.

Second, England gave away the win in the 90th minute. Total defensive breakdown in the box on that throw-in. My jaw hit the floor. Joe Cole was outstanding, Rooney looked exciting if not a bit rusty, Beckham was invisible again, and Owen badly hurt his knee in the early minutes. Can't believe it's been almost 40 years since England last beat Sweden...
Date: June 21, 2006 01:34AM
Silencio
Oy, rough day for my teams today.

First, Ecuador plays a very disinterested game -- no Delgado, very little Tenorio -- and gets hammered by Germany. I didn't come into the Cup a very strong believer in Germany, but they're good enough to win it all with the home field advantage on their side.

Second, England gave away the win in the 90th minute. Total defensive breakdown in the box on that throw-in. My jaw hit the floor. Joe Cole was outstanding, Rooney looked exciting if not a bit rusty, Beckham was invisible again, and Owen badly hurt his knee in the early minutes. Can't believe it's been almost 40 years since England last beat Sweden...

It would have been nice to beat Sweden but it just wasn't to be, but we're still through to the next round so we're still in with a chance.
We meet Ecuador on Sunday and it should be an interesting game.
Owen getting injured is a big blow for England but we still have Cole, Rooney and Crouch to get us through.
I have a bitch of a hangover this morning so I'll have to keep this post short.
Date: June 26, 2006 10:14AM
Well, to quote the late Jim Murray, sportswriter for the Los Angeles Times, the ribbon clerks are now out of the game (that would be the U.S.) and it's time to watch the pros. I am somewhat torn as to whether to root for the nation that produced Bernini, Titian, and Michaelangelo, or for Australia, which is sort of the Brit version of California and shares a watery border with us (admittedly it's a wide border). I think the most interesting game of late was Argentina vs Mexico, a match that should have been one-sided but wasn't.
Date: June 27, 2006 03:04AM
Ca Bob
Well, to quote the late Jim Murray, sportswriter for the Los Angeles Times, the ribbon clerks are now out of the game (that would be the U.S.) and it's time to watch the pros. I am somewhat torn as to whether to root for the nation that produced Bernini, Titian, and Michaelangelo, or for Australia, which is sort of the Brit version of California and shares a watery border with us (admittedly it's a wide border). I think the most interesting game of late was Argentina vs Mexico, a match that should have been one-sided but wasn't.

Ah but Jim Murray would have something to say about the precincts of the participants. Part of his stock in trade was to explain to his readers in great detail the shortcomings of a city the visiting team was from or the city the home team was visiting.

He had a swap agreement with most newspapers so just prior to say the Dodgers visiting Pittsburgh, he'd write a scathing column about Pittsburgh. It would appear in both the LA Times and Pittsbugh Gazette.

Murray was a great writer who on occasion left a visiting ballpark under police escort. His first love was the ponies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2006 03:06AM by RgrF.
Date: June 29, 2006 01:26PM
England are gonna go through on Saturday.
They played crap in 66 all through the tournament but on the day of the final produced the magic.
They can do it this time.
En-ga-land.
Date: July 01, 2006 02:10AM
Wha 'append ta Great Britain, chucked out wit ta dishwater woz it? From here on it's England for the Limeys and screw the provinces, 'at 'ow it is luv?
Date: July 04, 2006 04:57PM
Viva italia. Today's game should be remembered as one of the classics. It's true that neither team managed to score for the first 134 minutes or so, but there were numerous opportunities, shots on goal, and exciting breakaways. That Italy managed not just one, but two goals in those final 90 seconds or so is what should make this game go down in history. Meanwhile, France distinguished itself against everone's favorite Brazil, looking more like Brazil than the Brazilians. What could have been an all-South American final has mutated into what may be a cross-border clash played between the French and the Italians on a German field. We'll see. Assuming the French can hold on against Portugal, can Zidane manage to score against an Italian defense that has given up only one goal in the tournament so far? Can the Italians score against a defense that throttled the Brazilians? We're getting to the good part.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020