advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
OUT! Dan Rather Gets The 'CBS Boot'
Posted by: Panopticon
Date: June 20, 2006 06:19PM
[www.npr.org]

"My departure before the term of my contract represents CBS's final acknowledgement, after a protracted struggle, that they had not lived up to their obligation to allow me to do substantive work there.” - Dan Rather

uhhh, right Dan. Just remember, there's always PBS!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OUT! Dan Rather Gets The 'CBS Boot'
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 21, 2006 06:03AM
It's an acknowledgement that News isn't anything more than an other revenue stream. It's an abandonment of civic responsibility.

For those content with FoxNews it's an affirmation that people will accept political propoganda as news if you just keep hammering it at them.

The elimination of the "Fairness Doctrine" during the Reagan administration was maybe the single worst thing that has happened to the American people in the last half century.

"Who's more foolish - the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2006 06:10AM by RgrF.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: June 21, 2006 08:31AM
He made a monumental error in the news business with the Bush-armed services story. They were never going to let him back on the air.

Even with only 7 years in the news business, and only on the production side, in audio, I knew that. I can't believe that he would think that they'd allow him to do anything in editorial after that gaff.

JoeM
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 21, 2006 10:02AM
You seem to be implying that CBS now has standards. Rather trod on those in the 60s covering political conventions. After 30+ years he gets tossed because he upset the Bush administration?

Give it a break.

FoxNews standards are what?

This corporate control of what you see is nothing more than fascism with a different face.

"Who's more foolish - the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 21, 2006 10:08AM
Read Dan's comments on his 'professional divorce'. Well spoken. You will see him again, someplace.

"corporate Fascism"... hah. Corporations sell what the public wants to buy. It's all about the bucks. They want their panem et circenses.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: June 21, 2006 10:34AM
RgrF
You seem to be implying that CBS now has standards. Rather trod on those in the 60s covering political conventions. After 30+ years he gets tossed because he upset the Bush administration?

Give it a break....quote]

That's your assumption, I'm not implying that. Maybe you should get off the soapbox and check the attitude?

If you had enough courtesy to ask what I was implying, I would have told you that what I was saying was that in that BUSINESS, they will usually make a BUSINESS decision to can you over that type of snafu. To my mind, it has nothing to do with standards or ethics.

Actually, I am somewhat in agreement with some of what you say, but I prefer not to act like you.

JoeM
Posted by: mick e
Date: June 21, 2006 11:50AM
Why does he lose his job, yet everyone @ FoxNews is still employed?

Unpaid Social Liaison
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: June 21, 2006 12:13PM
How can the Bush 'fake' the case for war and not get impeached.

Don't think that Dan knew that his 'data' was faked. Though, he is entirely responsible, as a reporter should be for what they report. He should have made sure of the veracity of the document.

Needless to say, though no military officer would put down in words (in an official sense) his personal beliefs on a matter such as this, the message that the faked letter conveyed was understood to be reflective of the opinions of those involved (including Bush's CO). In other words, if he had the poor judgement to write a letter on the issue, that is most likely the letter he would have written.

Doesn't make it right though, just like faking the evidence by the Bush administration doesn't make it right. Even if Bush himself had genuinely believed that Saddam had WMD's, he had the professional responsiblity to ensure that the evidence was strong.
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 24, 2006 12:47PM
mick e
Why does he lose his job, yet everyone @ FoxNews is still employed?

two words …

Manifest Destiny.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 121
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020