advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Center for Budget & Policy Priorities - Republicans call cuts revenue increases
Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 02, 2011 01:26PM
[www.cbpp.org]

Referring to the Republican plan put forth to the SuperCommittee charged with coming up with lower budget deficits:

The plan's sponsors have characterized the plan's proposed increases in Medicare premiums and various fees as "revenues," but this characterization is inconsistent with standard budget accounting. The federal budget treats these items as reductions in outlays, not increases in revenues, and has for almost three decades. The Republican plan's sponsors also say that an additional $200 billion in revenues would result from higher economic growth that the plan might bring about.[2] For very sound reasons, however, standard budget estimates do not use such "dynamic scoring," and we appropriately exclude this amount — which the Joint Committee on Taxation and Congressional Budget Office would not recognize as either an increase in revenues or a reduction in deficits — from our tabulations. [3] (Excluding this amount is also necessary to maintain comparability with the budget figures for other budget proposals.)

Because of its lack of revenue increases, the Republican plan both achieves less deficit reduction and makes much deeper cuts in programs that benefit low- and moderate-income families and individuals than does the Democratic offer...

I think the whole thing is worth a read. There are a couple of Tables that have really good information but they aren't in the form of images so I don't know how to conveniently post them (without taking snapshots of the tables in my browser window, saving to Flickr or someplace like that and then linking to that).

e pluribus unum
Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020