advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
In God We Trust but no jobs?
Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 02, 2011 06:08PM
I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned this yet. Congress was taking up time and energy to renew by law "In God We Trust" as the official motto of the United states, but there was no movement on the president's jobs issue. And so the country languishes in a sea of joblessness. banghead smiley

[www.miamiherald.com]

I got a kick out of this part:

Of course, there may be innocent explanations for the In God We Trust bill. “God” and “job” are both three-letter words with the same vowel. House Republicans may have been confused by the similarity, much like the dyslexic agnostic who wonders if there is a dog.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: In God We Trust but no jobs?
Posted by: Grace62
Date: November 02, 2011 07:07PM
all others pay cash

Today's Congressional job approval rating: 12.7%
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 02, 2011 07:41PM
Keep looking into what they are doing a little more. They have been trying to pass resolutions like this, and propose to defund abortion over and over though it already has been. Where are the bills to stimulate the economy or help generate jobs? N O T H I N G

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 02, 2011 07:44PM
the punchline is
"No Hope, No Cash, and No Jobs"
Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 02, 2011 07:45PM
House Republicans say they do have jobs bills:

[majorityleader.gov]

e pluribus unum
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 02, 2011 08:07PM
Ted King
House Republicans say they do have jobs bills:

[majorityleader.gov]

Pasting a facade of "jobs" on the usual agenda of gutting regulatory oversight, de-protecting the environment, crippling what government is left by de-funding it, and re-funding the people who already have plenty of cash and power.
Posted by: rankandfile
Date: November 02, 2011 09:05PM
Without a doubt, this is most shameless congressional bunch in my lifetime. And they could not pass an Econ 101 class.
Posted by: hal
Date: November 02, 2011 09:39PM
Why does this even have to be renewed? Aren't most laws THE LAW until a court says no or it's repealed? Do they give this one an expiration just so they can wrap themselves in the flag every few years?

Speaking of which, shouldn't we be debating a flag burning law about now... AGAIN?
Posted by: DaveS
Date: November 03, 2011 09:13AM
cbelt3
the punchline is
"No Hope, No Cash, and No Jobs"

I think it goes... 10 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Steve Jobs and Bob Hope... today we have no cash, no jobs and no hope.
Date: November 03, 2011 09:33AM
Periodically it is necessary to let atheists like me know that atheists aren't really part of "we" Americans.

e pluribus unum
Date: November 03, 2011 09:43AM
Ted King
Periodically it is necessary to let atheists like me know that atheists aren't really part of "we" Americans.

Ted our Congress at the moment is, as you know, occupied by regressive idiots. Please don't take it personally. This move is all about politics and control and has really nothing meaningful to do with religion. This is nothing more than a poke in the eye at Pres. Obama, who correctly once referred to "E pluribus unum" as a motto of the US. An "official motto" means about as much as "official breakfast muffin." I read this in a blog but it's a good take on the situation:

"...That motto, officially adopted in 1956, is “In God We Trust.” It replaced what had been up until then America’s unofficial motto of “E pluribus unum.” Replacing an affirmation of unity amidst diversity with an expression of sectarian faith is, generally speaking, not a Good Thing.* But this symbolic step backwards, redundantly reaffirmed last night by the House of Representatives, hasn’t wrought much damage because frankly the designation “official motto” is almost completely meaningless."

[www.patheos.com]
Date: November 03, 2011 11:10AM
Grace62
Ted King

Ted our Congress at the moment is, as you know, occupied by regressive idiots. Please don't take it personally. This move is all about politics and control and has really nothing meaningful to do with religion. This is nothing more than a poke in the eye at Pres. Obama, who correctly once referred to "E pluribus unum" as a motto of the US. An "official motto" means about as much as "official breakfast muffin." I read this in a blog but it's a good take on the situation:

"...That motto, officially adopted in 1956, is “In God We Trust.” It replaced what had been up until then America’s unofficial motto of “E pluribus unum.” Replacing an affirmation of unity amidst diversity with an expression of sectarian faith is, generally speaking, not a Good Thing.* But this symbolic step backwards, redundantly reaffirmed last night by the House of Representatives, hasn’t wrought much damage because frankly the designation “official motto” is almost completely meaningless."

[www.patheos.com]

I actually feel quite fortunate to live in a country that tolerates atheists as well as it does, but it does get old having state-endorsed religious sentiment slapped in my face on a regular basis.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 03, 2011 11:17AM
Ted King
I actually feel quite fortunate to live in a country that tolerates atheists as well as it does, but it does get old having state-endorsed religious sentiment slapped in my face on a regular basis.

But we gotta stop the godless Communists! angry villagers smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: November 03, 2011 11:30AM
Ted King
Grace62
Ted King

[www.patheos.com]

I think that's a healthy attitude, as a liberal Christian who advocates for social justice I don't feel all that well tolerated sometimes. ;)
Date: November 03, 2011 11:43AM
Grace62
I think that's a healthy attitude, as a liberal Christian who advocates for social justice I don't feel all that well tolerated sometimes. ;)

A Christian who advocates for social justice - in the name of Jesus, what are you thinking?!

e pluribus unum
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: November 03, 2011 04:10PM
This popped up on Facebook recently. I think it's appropriate. I generally have no problem with Christians proselytizing, but when they attempt to do it by means of government it crosses the line.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 03, 2011 05:07PM
One of my friends posted that on FB as well. We were all commenting on what a right wing extremist Goldwater seemed at the time, and what a bright articulate conservative he would appear to be if he popped up nowadays. It shows how far to the right the GOP has moved. And the country for that matter.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 04, 2011 03:15PM

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 04, 2011 04:28PM
Precisely. That ad shaped our perception of Goldwater. Genius political advertising. And it only had one paid placement!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2011 04:29PM by $tevie.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020