advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
[Immigration] "Deferred Action" policy
Posted by: Black
Date: June 15, 2012 09:43PM
Was kind of clear Obama would do something on immigration prior to the fall . . . wondering if people think this is enough. Kind of looking for thoughtful discussion here with consideration for truthfulness-- if that's not your style, there's another thread below, thx.

[www.cnn.com]

[www.dhs.gov]

Who is eligible to receive deferred action under the Department’s new directive?
Pursuant to the Secretary’s June 15, 2012 memorandum, in order to be eligible for deferred action, individuals must:

Have come to the United States under the age of sixteen;
Have continuously resided in the United States for at least five years preceding the date of this memorandum and are present in the United States on the date of this memorandum;
Currently be in school, have graduated from high school, have obtained a general education development certificate, or are honorably discharged veterans of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States;
Have not been convicted of a felony offense, a significant misdemeanor offense, multiple misdemeanor offenses, or otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety;
Not be above the age of thirty.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: [Immigration] "Deferred Action" policy
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 15, 2012 09:48PM
This was telegraphed a few months ago. I think it's good. Now... Can we fix Immigration properly too ?
Posted by: davester
Date: June 15, 2012 10:44PM
I think it's a start. As cbelt indicated, can we get started on real immigration reform soon? What I mean by that is a discussion by elected officials wherein they pretend that they are grownups dealing with the reality of a massive population of "illegal" immigrants that make up a significant part of our work force, in lieu of juvenile posturing to make points regarding who can come up with the toughest sanctions against those evil dark-skinned people.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Janit
Date: June 16, 2012 02:33AM
I do wonder, though, how many eligible people will actually apply for the deferred action program, and when.

Young people who are not known yet to ICE may be reluctant to apply, as they can't be sure what will happen when the first work permit expires and they need to renew. The program might be gone by then. Chances are that people who have remained under the radar might wait to see if Obama gets re-elected before taking the risk of exposing themselves.

People who are already known to ICE will likely apply, since it can only improve their situation.
Date: June 16, 2012 04:26AM
Janit
I do wonder, though, how many eligible people will actually apply for the deferred action program, and when.

Young people who are not known yet to ICE may be reluctant to apply, as they can't be sure what will happen when the first work permit expires and they need to renew. The program might be gone by then. Chances are that people who have remained under the radar might wait to see if Obama gets re-elected before taking the risk of exposing themselves.

People who are already known to ICE will likely apply, since it can only improve their situation.

That's kind of what I thought when I read the requirements through-- counting on an awful lot of trust in government here.
Thus far I've only heard one informed opinion of a non-citizen, and his main reaction was that it didn't help him personally as he was outside the age range, and all his kids were born here.

Posted by: Avenger
Date: June 16, 2012 01:17PM
I think they get snarled further in the situation they are in. They remain illegal but have work permits. Job applications have no such category. What is a work permit anyway? There is not such thing. A work permit is a visa or a green card, which is a form of a visa. State Department has to come up with a brand new visa. Many qualifications cannot be reliably established. How do you know how old they are?
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: June 16, 2012 08:03PM
As Avenger/Dakota notes, I don't think this is going to make them eligibile to work (state/local laws would still apply)

Still, for Obama it's an effective distraction from the train wreck that is the domestic economy a few months before the general election.

Jimmy Carter's kicking himself.
Date: June 16, 2012 10:08PM
Yeah, this is yet another great political move. Giving people something and then daring Republicans to take it away from them. Although Obama already had the hispanic vote in the bag so I am not sure what this will do for him. What doesn't come out in the news is how many legal immigrants may be against this. Everybody knows people who have been waiting for years to get in legally. They are not amused.
Date: June 17, 2012 01:23PM
Bill in NC
Still, for Obama it's an effective distraction from the train wreck that is the domestic economy a few months before the general election.

I don't think distracting from the economy was the goal this time- I have no doubt tossing some bone to the Latino population has been on Obama's first-4-year-list . . . kind of thinking we may see something resembling a real "reform" package coming out of the oval office in the next few months.

Posted by: Spock
Date: June 18, 2012 06:14PM
Note the deafening initial silence from Mittens followed by his refusal to say whether he’d repeal President Barack Obama’s decision to stop deporting certain young illegal immigrants when he was interviewed yesterday.

Should his new campaign slogan be "I'm the un-decider"

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Date: June 18, 2012 07:50PM
You mean you are disappointed you can't paint him as hispanic hater. I would have pointed out that this little stunt is not going to help anybody. They still can't get a job at McDonald's even after this ruling. They are still illegal. And why is it just 2 years?
Posted by: katkennel
Date: June 19, 2012 10:42AM
Grow lettuce lots of lettuce, more pickers to pick lettuce.
Date: June 19, 2012 12:50PM
McCain onc said they pay $50/hr to pick lettuce in AZ. What came of that?
Posted by: billb
Date: June 19, 2012 02:29PM
it was for picking rhetorical lettuce

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: katkennel
Date: June 19, 2012 05:05PM
Drive drunk and kill someone pick lettuce, rob a bank.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: June 20, 2012 05:14AM
katkennel

Are you okay, man?

You're posting like you had an aneurysm.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 26, 2012 02:13PM
Lux Interior
katkennel

Are you okay, man?

You're posting like you had an aneurysm.

LOL

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 197
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020